Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2005, 19:49   #16
Kai Nui

Another vote for flushing the TP. The general idea of the advice not to flush it comes from K.I.S.S. It is allot harder to explain each and every item and it's level of acceptability to non boat people, than to make simple and general rules. We flush TP, and liveaboard. I have had no problems.
As for the electric heads, the issue is not so much that they might clog, (I agree that they are less likely) but that they can easily be damaged by clogged intake (dry flush). Macerater pumps do not last long when run dry. The other issue is electrical consumption, but outfitting for charter, I would imagine you are prepared for higher electrical use than the average cruising boat. Finally, the idea of an electric pump forcing waste into an already full tank scares the heck out of me. And you can be sure that if the waste is not draining, your guests will just keep pushing the button for awhile before letting you know. With a little extra management (never let the tank get close to full, and warn about how finicky the head can be) the electric head will probably be the best option.
I am no expert on electric heads, but I would think it would be simple work to put a pressure safety switch, or possible connect the pump power to the tank tender. Same thing with the water intake. You can make it idiot proof, but idiots can always find a way to screw it up.
Old 29-11-2005, 09:31   #17

Boat: Aerodyne 47
We have been flushing TP now for more than 15 years and have never had a clogged head. All the heads in all the boats I've had have been the generic El Cheapo Par manual heads. My wife is pushing for one electric on the new boat. We are looking at Lavacs. A replacement electric pump for the Lavac costs somethng like 80% ($700.00?) of the cost of an entire new electric head! That made my decision for me. You know you will have to replace that pump sometime long before the head is toast.
When I have non boating guests on board (I avoid it like the plague) I show them a spare Joker Valve I keep on board and tell them that everything they flush has to pass through that. I tell them they can use reasonable amounts of TP but to keep it light. When they see the opening in the Joker Valve they get it.
sailmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 11:20   #18

Boat: MedMarine MonteCarlo 43, Far Niente
Just replaced electric head

I just replaced my Jabsco electric head with a manual pump because the waste tank is ~3 ft above the head. The electic pump apparently doesn't generate much "head" pressure so it took forever to pump (noisily)and didn't completely pump out. It took several wash/rinse cycles to clear the head. Manual works just fine.
Will Burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 12:14   #19

Better hope that the overhead tank, will never bust open. While you're using the toilet, in the head?
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 15:25   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Will, that Sounds strange. The pump should have lifted that far with ease. They are basicly a positive displacement pump and will pump to quite some pressure. As an example, these same designs of pumps are also used for deck wash because of the head of pressure they can generate.
I have a macerator pump at the bottom of my holding tank and it pumps the tank out through a 1/2" hose to the through hull some 6-8ft above it. Sounds like you had a worn impellor.

Hey Sailmc. The only time I ever had a block in my head, was with that joker valve.( hmmm we are talking toilets still. )I thought what a rediculously small hole. I am refering to the little flaper valve that sat inside a small bend that was also the outlet. It may not be on all designs, but it was on this cheap Asian head. Anyway, I removed the valve completly. It made no difference to the toilets operation. We have a gooseneck that allows a certain amount of water to stay in the bowl and stops any smells coming back up from the tank. It all seems to work fine.....so far.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 13:48   #21

Boat: MedMarine MonteCarlo 43, Far Niente
Newer tank, older head

Wheels, you may be right. The electric pump is of uncertain vintage. Since a new one is $450, I'll stick with the manual replacement for now. Captain K, the waste tank is 5 year old aluminum, installed along with new fuel & water tanks that were inspected when I bought the boat at the first of the year.
Will Burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 15:47   #22

Boat: currently "on the beach"
I did not read about anyone using biodegradable TP. Waste of money ? I thought it was less likely to clog the head.
When we were in the Caribe, they told us to put everything in a plastic bag. I actually questioned if they were talking used TP and they said yes, and don't pump the head. They did the pumping. Apparently no pump out stations and easier to dispose of on land since they were day tripping. Gross.

capt lar

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 16:42   #23
cruiser

Somewhere... I heard of a test to see if a TP is good for the head. Just drop a sheet in a glass of water for a few mins then shake it around a little. If it falls into tiny pieces, you have a good TP for the marine head. If not, it has a pontential to clog.

On the subject of manual vs electric... I think we are going to settle down on a manual pump. As much as I'm sure some people will complain, I'll take the advice to try and make it a "quaint, charming" part of the experience... ha ha ha

I think I'll opt for the one with the longer extension handle that works like a lever, rather than the plunger type. I imagine the lever type will seem to have less resistance?

Thanks for all the posts to this thread. It was extremely helpful.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2005, 09:55   #24

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
troubles with TP?

If flushing TP is really an issue for you, how about doing away with it altogether and installing a bidet seat - check out www.brondell.com . More hygienic and easier on your tushy.

Kevin
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2005, 18:09   #25

They wanna squirt water where?
Old 16-12-2005, 18:19   #26
Kai Nui

I think that just might mess with my good old American sensibilities They teach us at an early age that the water goes IN the toilet
Oh, and Sean, great choice!
Old 16-12-2005, 20:01   #27

Oh come now, I'm sure some Americans wash their nether-regions
Old 16-12-2005, 21:41   #28

Yeah, when we bathe every day!! But not during our toilet sessons!!
Old 16-12-2005, 22:03   #29

Yet stuffing little bits of paper in there with your fingers is so much better how???
Say it uses too much water or too much electricity - I can take a reasonable argument, but at least take off the blinders and consider there are other ways that won't really offend your American sensibilities.

Kevin
Old 16-12-2005, 22:20   #30

Why? Is that what you Canadians do up there? Wash you bum with water after taking a dump?

I know in some places here in the USA, that in the more fancier Motels. They have those type of toilets for the ladies?

I know in Europe it's commonpalce to have them. But, I have seen toilet paper, in the toilet stalls over in Europe personally!!

So you cannot tell me that they shun that method totally?