Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2021, 12:37   #1

Boat: J-24; J-105
Elba Sailing/Charter

Ahoy Sailors,

I am curious to learn about Chartering/ Sailing in general around the Island of Elba. Does anyone have any first hand experience sailing here, or better yet a local charter outfit they may have used? Any experience in a land visit would be helpful as well. From my computer, the island seems well sized for a week or something less of a circumnavigation charter. Any experience or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Considering May 2022 as I have a family wedding scheduled there.

Thank you kindly!

Richard
Wannabes00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2021, 06:58   #2

Re: Elba Sailing/Charter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabes00n View Post
Ahoy Sailors,

I am curious to learn about Chartering/ Sailing in general around the Island of Elba. Does anyone have any first hand experience sailing here, or better yet a local charter outfit they may have used? Any experience in a land visit would be helpful as well. From my computer, the island seems well sized for a week or something less of a circumnavigation charter. Any experience or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Considering May 2022 as I have a family wedding scheduled there.

Thank you kindly!

Richard

BUMP:

Is there a better place I should post an inquiry like this? Anyone know about Western Med in May? Corsica, Sardinia, etc. Thank you in advance for any advice or first hand info.

Richard
Old 30-08-2021, 07:12   #3

Boat: X442

Just back from that general area of the Med, including spending a week in and around Elba.

This was in August when there is little chance of getting a space in a marina (there are not that many anyway) so it was mainly anchoring. The island is very nice, some very nice placed to visit and hikes to do. Main issue is there is often a swell which comes in from the north due to the Mistral blowing around the top of Corsica or the south if the Bouche (I think that's what it's called, the gap between Corsica and Sardinia) is playing up producing some particularly strong winds. So rolling at anchor can be quite testing at times, need to plan the circumnavigation with the weather in mind.

But... in May it will all be less crowded so greater chance of getting a place in a marina now and then.
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2021, 07:36   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinSdL View Post
Just back from that general area of the Med, including spending a week in and around Elba.

This was in August when there is little chance of getting a space in a marina (there are not that many anyway) so it was mainly anchoring. The island is very nice, some very nice placed to visit and hikes to do. Main issue is there is often a swell which comes in from the north due to the Mistral blowing around the top of Corsica or the south if the Bouche (I think that's what it's called, the gap between Corsica and Sardinia) is playing up producing some particularly strong winds. So rolling at anchor can be quite testing at times, need to plan the circumnavigation with the weather in mind.

But... in May it will all be less crowded so greater chance of getting a place in a marina now and then.

Many Thanks HeinSdL!
Old 07-09-2021, 02:39   #5

Boat: Sold 42 ft Sailboat

Hi Richard,

I went to this coast last August, stayed over at Marina di Scarlino (beautiful harbour/restaurants/everything) and Grossetto (same). Rented a boat next year end of May from Scarlino to sail around Elba and maybe jump to Corsica or the archipelago there. it is stunning overthere...distances short...pls check the site www.worldcruisingstories.com. It is from a couple I know that primarily travels around this area from Scarlino (in a Swan). beautiful pictures and great tips for harbours, anchorplaces etc.
No44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 11:11   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by No44 View Post
Hi Richard,

I went to this coast last August, stayed over at Marina di Scarlino (beautiful harbour/restaurants/everything) and Grossetto (same). Rented a boat next year end of May from Scarlino to sail around Elba and maybe jump to Corsica or the archipelago there. it is stunning overthere...distances short...pls check the site www.worldcruisingstories.com. It is from a couple I know that primarily travels around this area from Scarlino (in a Swan). beautiful pictures and great tips for harbours, anchorplaces etc.
Thank you No44! Great resource to look at. Can I inquire which company you have booked with? I have been mostly in contact with these folks, http://www.italycharter.it/. Trying to decide where to jump off from; San Vicenzo, Scarlino, or even ferry over to Elba and embark from Portoferraio.

Thanks for the help. Looking at the week of 22/5/22.

Richard
Old 14-09-2021, 11:29   #7

Boat: Sold 42 ft Sailboat

Hi Richard, I booked at:

Sailboat rental for holidays in Tuscany and Elba Island. Charter Tuscany | 43° Parallelo

www.43paralello.com

I was there, saw all the boats (up to 3 years old) and looked in perfect condition (of course).
booked end may:/first week of june 2022
No44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 14:02   #8

I wanted to post a post trip report for anyone that might learn from it. Overall, terrific first bareboat charter. We chartered from 43 Parrallelo in Marina Di Scarlino, what I thought was a very nice marina and easy check in and check out procedures. Weather conditions for May were mostly light but we had one day of 15+ knots which made for great sailing. Winds were mostly S or SE.
The days were warm and the water refreshing but not cold. Elba has a couple towns with Marina services. Each time we had tried to book a berth ahead of time online and then by radio while approaching but really our accommodation was made when we pulled into the harbor. each Harbor had anchoring accommodation or mooring balls for let but we opted for dockside. Fortunately there was space for us each night but a couple times were close calls. I imagine in the height of season it could be tricky. Some Marinas advertised on shore facilities (showers/restroom/etc.) but more often than not theses were the town public facilities of varying condition and on occasion one did have to pay like anyone. We spent one night on Capraia which was much less developed and a neat place to see.

If anyone is considering going that way happy to share my week of experience.
Old 21-04-2023, 12:06   #9

Wannabes00n - thanks for your post. I know it was quite some time ago, so my reply may go unseen. Headed to the Tuscan Archipelago on May 13th for a 7-day Catamaran bareboat. Planning on hitting Elba, Capraia, and Giglio. Any additional thoughts or comments would be appreciated.
SMK-Sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2023, 12:37   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMK-Sail View Post
Wannabes00n - thanks for your post. I know it was quite some time ago, so my reply may go unseen. Headed to the Tuscan Archipelago on May 13th for a 7-day Catamaran bareboat. Planning on hitting Elba, Capraia, and Giglio. Any additional thoughts or comments would be appreciated.
Hi SMK,

Thank you for the chance to reflect on the trip. I'd add that I downloaded the AquaMaps Italy map package as a back up to the onboard nav system. I ended up preferring Aqua maps on my phone for more aesthetic map than the on board nav but was nice to have both. Portoferraio and Port Azurro were our two favorite Ports on Elba. Lots to see and do and great access for getting out of those towns to explore elsewhere on island as well. Marciana Marina was also a neat town, the western end being the most interesting with shops/restaurants. we did not get to spend much time on Capraia but Porto Vecchio is quiet and the public restrooms/showers was a small cost if memory serves (Euro or two). We had dinner up in the town which was neat to see but as far as we were able to explore. Did not make it to Giglio but my Italian friend has a home there and says it is lovely as well. we definitely felt like we were there during the early season, temps were really pleasant and towns/marinas were active but i would not say busy.

Yall have a great trip and happy to answer any specific questions I can.

Tags
charter, sail, sailing