Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2013, 15:24   #106

Re: Effects of Global Warming ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Of course its tosh, the national enquirer and the Fox News comedy channel have said so.

Dave
Old 26-02-2013, 15:32   #107

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Its snowing like mad here. 6" tonight and 4 tomorrow. I've shoveled snow more this year than in the last two. My brother in Marquette just shoveled out of 4 feet of the stuff.

Remember, at the end of the last ice age, only a geologic blink of about 15,000 years, there was 6 miles of ice here. Its been warming for 12,000 years, thank God. Sure glad early man had so many camp fires.
Old 26-02-2013, 15:38   #108
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Its snowing like mad here. 6" tonight and 4 tomorrow. I've shoveled snow more this year than in the last two. My brother in Marquette just shoveled out of 4 feet of the stuff.

Remember, at the end of the last ice age, only a geologic blink of about 15,000 years, there was 6 miles of ice here. Its been warming for 12,000 years, thank God. Sure glad early man had so many camp fires.
Constantly mixing weather with climate does not add anything to the debate. My grandmother lived till 98 and smoked constantly , does that disprove the general accepted view that smoking causes cancer and hence death.

Really.

Dave
Old 26-02-2013, 16:24   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
You keep repeating 97% - what is the context?
A few posts back, I linked to a site that mentions, claims, whatever that 97% of the world's climate scientists support the notion that the earth is/will experience increased warming due to human activity.

I bring it up only to hint that anyone questioning the climate-science is going against only about 97% of the people who actually study the stuff.

Based on that, I'm expecting some higher level of argument or proof from our resident deniers. And not getting it. Each has their own, special, unique and unsupported reason for denying the conclusions put forward by climate scientists. Sorry, just 97% of them.
Old 26-02-2013, 16:36   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect
I do hope this thread gets locked. It's proven troll-material, and the lamest most ignorant comment gets equal billing with the best-supported argument. And, it's got f-all to do with sailing, other than it might get a wee bit more expensive to take to sea in a floating condo.

Die, thread, die.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Lake Effect, please reconsider your comments.
Sorry, friend, I said it, I meant it. In this venue, it's simply a source of aggravation or perverse amusement, and has no place on a good sailing forum.

(So why do I bother? Because this is history in the making, and I want the record to show what side I took. Maybe I can convince ONE denier to, if not buy in, at least to take it seriously. )
Old 26-02-2013, 16:40   #111

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
The effects of "AGW" are easily felt here in Teutonia:

Fuel is getting even more ridiculously expensive, but wrecks the motors as the ethanol additive proportion increases. Mind you, growing biofool is good, because it means less food, meaning people die which is population reduction and that's gotta be good for the planet. We used to pick volunteers the same way, when I was in the army, though we took slightly better care of them.

Our democratically elected representatives decided on their own to obey higher orders to scrap our atomic plants, and are now building coal fueled ones because the sun has the temerity to stop shining on the acreages of subsised solar panels in former fertile private fields. Mind you, the atomics were substandard and worn out anyway, and it was getting a bit hard to cover up the kickbacks and dodgy deals and shonky planning and suppression of clean nuke power (eg thorium). However, we are purchasing surplus atomic energy from the Czechs, who have a lovely old Russian reactor just around the bend. Also, the Austrians and other friendly neighbours are selling us their surplus power too, but still our grids are stretched to breaking point. The wind also seems to be not getting with the green program, despite a lot of assistance from activists blowing hard from both ends. Never mind, at least the windturbines are chopping up thousands of birds that otherwise might eat what GM crops we still manage to grow, fertilised by cash of course. The turbines are horribly expensive and seem to wear out much faster than claimed, but it's public money which is abundant and inexhaustible, a true renewable and it's green!

We have wonderful new perhaps slightly toxic light bulbs that save energy by providing less light, and by being so bloody expensive and short lived that candles and oil (biofool oil of course) lamps are starting to look good. Maybe Al Gore can bend over and bless us with free light.

Wherever we turn we are assailed by mindless robots repeating ad nauseum every tidbit the propaganda system feeds them. The groupthink is so effective, that people are getting to the point of asking for a dictator to clean up the mess....no need to remind anyone how that turned out last time we tried? Ah well, nobody remembers anyway, so I guess it will require a repeat, just with better toys this time.

It's like Hamelin around here, after the Pied Piper went through. Not many children. Because it's too damn hard to afford them, and we're told not to bring any more useless mouths into the system. They might soak up all the money needed for electric cars and spaceships to mars. Never mind, all our useless oldies can look forward to the pleasant exit rather than suffering, once euthanasia gets popular again and comes out of the closet.

Meanwhile, the sun shines and warms the earth, and its solar wind regulates the amount of cloud-seeding cosmic radiation. Volcanoes and farting ruminants pump naughty carbon into the air (way more than us!), which the plants love as it is food for them. Indeed, not all that long ago it was much warmer, and plants grew better. Hopefully it does get warmer, because off-grid folks will be happy in their gardens, and the econuts can smoke more of whatever they're on; perhaps enough to make them forget to make everyone miserable and poor. Well, not everyone. Ted and Phil and Bill and all their buddies are doin' fine. Don't get me wrong, we should be better stewards of creation, but also use our God-given brain to THINK, instead of FEEL.
+1 Good post
Old 26-02-2013, 16:52   #112
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post

+1 Good post
Not sure why you'd say that since its pure hearsay, hyperbole and contains no proof or truth whatsoever , but regurgitates tabloid nonsense and chat show reality spouting ( or fox mis-news)

Dave
Old 26-02-2013, 16:53   #113
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Sorry, friend, I said it, I meant it. In this venue, it's simply a source of aggravation or perverse amusement, and has no place on a good sailing forum.

(So why do I bother? Because this is history in the making, and I want the record to show what side I took. Maybe I can convince ONE denier to, if not buy in, at least to take it seriously. )[/SIZE]

It does have a place as long as the wind blows.

I think you know that, but your frustration got the better of you.

It is ironic that you seek a quiet place away from the denier storm, as they seek a place from awareness of the mess we are in.

Neither will go away.

Fair winds, don't let the buggers get you down.
Old 26-02-2013, 16:57   #114
CLOD

Boat: none

:dead horsebeat::deadhorse beat:

no matter how much you beat it, it just wouldn't die!
Old 26-02-2013, 17:17   #115

Quote:
Not sure why you'd say that since its pure hearsay, hyperbole and contains no proof or truth whatsoever , but regurgitates tabloid nonsense and chat show reality spouting ( or fox mis-news)

Dave
You are telling me that Solar fields and Wind generators are not Subsidized
Old 26-02-2013, 17:23   #116
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post

You are telling me that Solar fields and Wind generators are not Subsidized
And nuclear isnt. !!! In most countries all power generation is state sponsored hence its all subsidised.

Dave
Old 26-02-2013, 17:35   #117
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I'm 35 and it sucks that me and my kids are going to be screwed by all the "wait and see" it's probably fine group.

Ask the biggest reinsurance companies in the world about climate change.. there're the first ones footing the bills and they have no doubt it will radically reshape there business and the economy in general.

when you can take an Albin 27 thru the NW passage non-stop, single-handed under sail. nothing has changed?
Old 26-02-2013, 17:44   #118

Quote:
And nuclear isnt. !!! In most countries all power generation is state sponsored hence its all subsidised.

Dave
We don't have nuclear generators in Australia but it is my understanding if building power generators today is that Nuclear is cheaper than coal and the only reason we have wind and solar is via subsidies to encourage.

Coal fired generators are not subsidized here.
Old 26-02-2013, 17:50   #119
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Oy vey! Such a mess, where to start?

First I thank our Moderate Gods for allowing this thread existence.

Clearly the single largest problem humanity faces is over population. I have thought long and hard on that, listened to the arguments, and concluded that there is no solution we will actually do. Nature will impose limits and solutions.

Those solutions may come in various forms and combinations. I tend to think global financial collapse will get here first. But resource depletion, with water as a leadeing contender, may be felt first. Either one could trigger massive civil unrest. In the end we may not figure out the proximate cause of our demise, as if it mattered.

Climate change is sorta like the slow heavy weight winding up for the knockout punch.

Really it matters little who believes what for collectively we are paralyzed to meaningful action.

INDIVIDUALLY, on the other hand, one can do much. Having a sailboat gives you certain flexibility of movement and options denied most. No guarantees but it improves your odds. As a sailor you are more likely to have good survival skills simply because you are the kind of person who will do things with their hands and head, more than average. You have some greater awareness of natural systems and are attuned to watching the weather. You are more individually self reliant. These are all positives for your personal survival.

But beyond that you have found a way to be connected and an activity to enjoy. Which brings its own meaning to life, and you have a built in community, which is good for mental health.

Anyone on this board would be hard pressed to have a more pessimistic view of the future than I. I do believe that we have passed serious, if not fatal, natural tipping points. Yet I need a way to carry on in the face off uncertainty. But isn't that what humanity has done for millennia?

I only seek to inform, and thus help, those few who may have an open mind. I heard a rumor that such a fellow was seen at a West Marine in Miami not three weeks ago.

My mind is fairly made up on these subjects, thus I stand here a self proclaimed hypocrit. But a polite one, I hope.

Carry on.
Old 26-02-2013, 18:04   #120
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here is an interesting article on a scientific study from S Carolina.

Quote:

The DNR’s draft study says that, with temperatures in the South projected to rise up to 9 degrees over the next 70 years, the Palmetto State should prepare for increases in wildlife disease, loss of prime duck hunting habitat and the potential invasion of non-native species such as piranha and Asian swamp eels. Many such exotic species have taken hold in Florida, but as temperatures rise, could move into South Carolina, the report said.

Read more here: Secret climate report calls for action in SC | Local News | The State
Closed Thread