Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2022, 00:22   #1

Edward William Insurance

Has anyone used Edward William International Marine Insurance?
Is it a good company to deal with? Any feedback would be most welcomed.
uniopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 00:30   #2

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: Edward William Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniopp View Post
Has anyone used Edward William International Marine Insurance?
Is it a good company to deal with? Any feedback would be most welcomed.

A little digging online may enlighten you and save you a dollar or two.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 02:42   #3

Boat: Volkscruiser

I wonder what ever happened to that couple who were on the forum and had their rig claim denied by Edward Williams? I think they were sailing in the Bahamas?
I always thought Edwards Williams was another word for "Self-Insured" I know two claims made by boaties here in Queensland and both were denied for who knows what reason. One was a fairly large salvage claim.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 04:34   #4

I'm now in my second year using them. They have been friendly and professional offering rates much better than their competition and with better coverage. Having said that, I have not yet had to file a claim (knock on teak) so cannot opine further.
b_ohare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 17:28   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

It is only when making making a claim does one see the true colours of an insurance company. They are always smiling at you when you are paying.

I have yet to see an online bouquet from anyone making a claim against EW but I have seen brick bats. I think F&A is on the money with his 'self insured' opinion.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 09:28   #6

I googled "Reviews Edward Williams" and found tons of (mostly negative) comments and reviews. You should check them out
GPatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2023, 14:35   #7

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

I’m now paying over a thousand for third party insurance and I assume the cost of the first $20k salvage for my 1980 steel to sit in a marina. Edward Williams quote is a third of that.

I have googled reviewers and found both for and against reviews. Which I can do for any insurance.

Given this is a boating forum, I’m hanging for anyone who has actually made a claim?
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2023, 15:16   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I’m now paying over a thousand for third party insurance and I assume the cost of the first $20k salvage for my 1980 steel to sit in a marina. Edward Williams quote is a third of that.

I have googled reviewers and found both for and against reviews. Which I can do for any insurance.

Given this is a boating forum, I’m hanging for anyone who has actually made a claim?
I never made a claim from them directly but was directly affected by there (well documented) failure to pay claims.

Vessel(s) where storm damaged at our marina (Bundaberg) and EW refused to pay out on the claims, the marina then declared that vessels with EW will no longer be welcome/accepted and if you are already in the marina and are "covered" with EW then you will need to change to another insurer when due, or leave...

I was with EW at the time and chose to re-insure with another provider, especially when i found out that a number of other marina's up and down the east coast of Aus have the same policy regarding EW...

Ironically, the chandlery here at the marina USED to be an EW agent....

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2023, 23:03   #9

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
I never made a claim from them directly but was directly affected by there (well documented) failure to pay claims.

Vessel(s) where storm damaged at our marina (Bundaberg) and EW refused to pay out on the claims, the marina then declared that vessels with EW will no longer be welcome/accepted and if you are already in the marina and are "covered" with EW then you will need to change to another insurer when due, or leave...

I was with EW at the time and chose to re-insure with another provider, especially when i found out that a number of other marina's up and down the east coast of Aus have the same policy regarding EW...

Gee that’s a worry then if Marina’s refuse to accept boats with EW brokered insurance.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 13:14   #10

Boat: triangle pilothouse 32

Who knows if they are good till they pay. I have a liability policy through them. Frankly it is expensive and has many stipulations some could probably not be met. I am also hauled during hurricane season. Unfortunately my boat is a 1964 and sails Florida waters. That is a tough nut to insure. No survey was required. I feel it would be useless in any named storm. My real concern is just scratching some mega yacht coming into a marina. To me that is the real hazard. I also carry a 30k rider for sinking and spill cleanup. Costs about $1000 year
squarpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 14:21   #11

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Gee that’s a worry then if Marina’s refuse to accept boats with EW brokered insurance.
Also some boat yards

Edward Williams also trade as Northern Reef

Big alarm bells rang with me when all they required from me to insure 60ft of timber was the money and a side profile picture of boat.
Obviously they got neither.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 15:37   #12
HuR

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post

That sucks as I am trying to find liability insurance for my 34-year-old boat sailed solo and US-flagged, so far without luck. I plan to get to the east coast of Australia this season and am finding everywhere wants insurance, even just for a marina, let alone boatyards. It would be helpful if you would name your new insurer.
HuR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance