Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2007, 22:38   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Since 9/11, the US government decided they want to have all visitors entering the US interviewed before granting a Visa. Fair enough I suppose. But for me, that means I have to fly to Auckland to the Embassy. The first thing I have to do is arrange an interview. As soon as someone answers the phone, they start billing you and it is real steep. They go through a phone interview with you and they discuss what you need to bring for the personal interview. Which also costs and is really expensive. The Airfare alone for me will be close to 1K. This varies dramaticaly around the country, but where I live is one of the most expensive places to fly in and out of. So for me, it would be close to 2K all up, others may get away with 1K and those in Auckland a few hundred for just the interview.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 23:09   #32

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler
. As soon as someone answers the phone, they start billing you and it is real steep. They go through a phone interview with you and they discuss what you need to bring for the personal interview. Which also costs and is really expensive. The Airfare alone for me will be close to 1K. This varies dramaticaly around the country, but where I live is one of the most expensive places to fly in and out of. So for me, it would be close to 2K all up, others may get away with 1K and those in Auckland a few hundred for just the interview.
How do they do that??

Do they get your credit card detail's from you???

Dave
Old 11-08-2007, 13:13   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I am not sure if they ask you adress or credit details or what. But a close friend of mine went through this to get from Hawaii to the US. She spent a few days with KaiNui by the way. But the story she told me of what she went through and the cost was simply off putting for me to consider going to the US.

Old 11-08-2007, 14:04   #34
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"As soon as someone answers the phone, they start billing you "
You are saying that the US Embassy will CHARGE YOU BY THE MINUTE for the time your visa interview takes?
I'm going to have to check into this, because over here they tell us that there is NO CHARGE for visa interviews and that Kiwis can get a visa free for the asking. That it may cost you to get from the boondocks to a visa issuing office--for any country--is irrelevant to the cost of the visa. That's your own "living in the outback" price, not part of the visa fee. Folks who live in the outback, even here in the US, do have to ante up and come into the big city if they want big city services.
< G >

Sounds like you are being routed to some kind of "expediting service" and not to the US embassy or consulate itself.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 15:11   #35

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler
We aren't going there chaps. This is not an "American Only" board. Please leave US politics out of it. Sorry but we have to, or a flood gate opens that we can't control. If you want to argue politics, I can direct you to another sailing BB that has gone that way, where you may feel right at home.
Just for the record I will not edit myself on this board or anywhere else. I am not trying to be antagonistic but it is kind of scary when someone tells you you can't voice your political views in public. The US and New Zealand are free countries and furthermore, it is the internet: the last truly free country. If I find I am censured here by either administrators or by other contributors through rebukes, then yes, I would like to not post here ever again. And I would also invite anyone else that post here to do the same.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 19:55   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67
I am not trying to be antagonistic but it is kind of scary when someone tells you you can't voice your political views in public.
Plenty of places to air your political views in public. That forum Alan refers to is a nightmare.

I am here to talk boats...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 20:21   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif
Plenty of places to air your political views in public. That forum Alan refers to is a nightmare.

I am here to talk boats...
...Me too but as Mr. Riel pointed out boating and politics seem to go hand in hand. Also many of the reasons for giving up a life on land and adopting one on the sea are related to being disenfranchised with the political landscape. I, as well as many others, use this forum as a venue to vent and discuss this stuff - stuff related to boats. If politics comes into play I don't want to be chastised for talking about it.

There really is no way to argue, in the 21st century, that free speech is a bad thing. Please don't let me down by trying to disprove that.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:41   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
...Me too but as Mr. Riel pointed out boating and politics seem to go hand in hand.
No they don't. Not here. There is a big difference between different countries boarder control policies which affect us a cruisers and political statements about some countries leader being considered whatever.
Unbusted, this is a private board. Not a Public place. This is Andy's place and posters here abide by the rules set out here. It is not a soapbox in the middle of the village square that you can apply your rights of freespeech on.
Please respect that.
It ends here folks. Lets not take this any further and have it end in tears.
Right, lets get on with the real discussion. Like many others here, I am here for boating. Lets talk boating.

Old 12-08-2007, 02:25   #39

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Quote:
While I was in New Zealand, discussion of anything that wasn't as shallow as an ashtray was some kind of social taboo. I got desperate to meet someone from the outside world, so I could have the first intelligent discussion in a long time.
This is the worldwide net. It's not New Zealand, so don't bother trying to impose new Zealand culture on us. Go to your basket weaving site, and leave us to freely discuss what is very important to cruisers..
He must have spent his time here in the local looney bin or maybe the Hapi club. What a tool!!
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 14:03   #40

Very well then, I will no longer post here or be a member of this forum. Good bye.
Old 12-08-2007, 15:01   #41
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Wheels-
Have you seen
Visa Waiver Program (VWP)

NZ is part of the US visa-waiver program. If you meet broad qualifications and are coming for less than 90 days--you don't need a visa to come here at all. That probably covers 95% of all the Kiwis who are visiting the US.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 15:29   #42

Boat: Endeavour 40CC
Having worked at an embassy in the past and my brother now works in one as well I can tell you that the US does not and NEVER has charged money for visa interviews.
vonotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 15:54   #43

Boat: Stevens 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonotto
Having worked at an embassy in the past and my brother now works in one as well I can tell you that the US does not and NEVER has charged money for visa interviews.
This directly off the US Embassy's website for New Zealand.....

"Visa Services

0900 US VISA

Appointments and visa information can be obtained by making a toll call to the U.S. Visa Information Service on 0900 US VISA (0900 878 472)

This number is a toll number. Calls will cost NZ$3.54 including GST per minute after the first minute. The first minute of each call is free. The maximum charge for any call is NZ$25.63 including GST.
The 0900 number does not work outside New Zealand."

You HAVE to call this number first and have a phone interview before they will schedule an appointment to have a face to face interview....it IS expensive...and as Alan says you then have to travel to their consulate in Auckland to have the face to face interview.......there is SO much backlash agaisnt visiting the US in the last couple of years because of these draconian procedures...Google it...tourism is down 30% in the US where it is UP almost everywhere else....

The Visa waiver program is really not much use for sailors as the maximum length of stay is only 90 days.
Old 12-08-2007, 22:50   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks for that Rangiroo

Old 12-08-2007, 23:16   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
US Embassies field "thousands" of calls and are generally swamped. The use of "toll" numbers is to encourage people to use the well thought out web sites. Because it is my tax dollars at work I appreciate the automation in US embassies to keep the costs down.

I apologize for those who find it frustrating to get a hold of someone.

Here is a link to the visa waiver information on the US embassy website in New Zealand.

Do I Need a Visa? United States Visa information - U.S. Embassy Wellington, New Zealand

There is lot's of info there on who doesn't need a visa so it's probably easier to post who does need a visa.

The following travelers will need a visa:
  • People who have been previously denied a visa.
  • People, who intend to work in the U.S. (paid or unpaid). This includes work as an au pair or intern, journalist, government representative on official government business, among others.
  • People who intend to stay in the U.S. for more than 90 days.
  • People who intend to attend school or university in the U.S.
  • People who have been refused admission into, or have been deported from the U.S. within the past five years.
  • People who have been afflicted with a serious communicable disease, or who are drug abusers or addicts.
  • People who have participated in the persecution of any person under the control of the Nazi Government of Germany.
  • People who have ever been a member or representative of a terrorist organization.
  • People who have ever overstayed a visa while in the U.S.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ecuador