Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2017, 11:31   #16

Boat: Najad 391
Re: Dumb question...Do you hang fenders when at anchor?

We were going to go into a marina but at the last moment we changed our mind and anchordo instead but forgot to take our fenders in. That night the wind got up to 25/30 knots and we dragged our anchor, we costed to another yacht another no damage and we have remained friends for over 10 years. Now we always hang out our fenders.
sailu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 11:53   #17

Boat: Camano Troll

I do not hang fenders when anchored. Even if another boat were to drag anchor and hit my boat, I don't have enough fenders to cover the entire boat. They would have to hit parallel to my boat for the fenders to do any good.
Old 13-03-2017, 12:58   #18

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

I have... mostly to get them off the deck.
Old 13-03-2017, 13:17   #19

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

I use fenders to keep my inflatable dink from rubbing against the hull at night because it emits a loud SQUEAK! sometimes. That's when I'm too lazy to raise it.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 16:19   #20

Boat: 45ft Leopard cat

Here's another question that's sort of related. Does anyone use an anchor buoy, just so you can see where the damn thing is from time to time? Yes, I also use the anchor alarm, but it's kind of educational to get an instant visual fix. It also helps others to avoid anchoring over my chain in a crowded anchorage, although there's always a risk some numpty will drive straight over it. Last time I set it up a couple of charterers tried to use the buoy as a mooring. Any opinions out there?
Big Macca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 19:02   #21

Boat: Dean Oceancomber 10M

Personally, I put fenders and whatever you call the planks that hang outside the fenders in the busy and not so sober anchorage outside Frontiras. I got hit on a private dock there by a local trying to tow a half sunk cayuco. Depends where you are. I was almost considering putting long spikes in the boards.
Old 13-03-2017, 20:02   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Macca View Post
Here's another question that's sort of related. Does anyone use an anchor buoy, just so you can see where the damn thing is from time to time? Yes, I also use the anchor alarm, but it's kind of educational to get an instant visual fix. It also helps others to avoid anchoring over my chain in a crowded anchorage, although there's always a risk some numpty will drive straight over it. Last time I set it up a couple of charterers tried to use the buoy as a mooring. Any opinions out there?
Anchor buoys are not a great idea most times, they are not safe with motorized dinks running back and forth plus you can entangle your anchor rode on them
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 20:50   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Macca View Post
Never use.one myself I always anchor.in shallow.enough water.that.there have been times when my anchor.was ( it turned.out ) was above the.low tide waterline.
Old 13-03-2017, 21:02   #24

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Yes it probably doesn't bode well for others' assessments of your anchoring skills if everyone in an anchorage suddenly puts out lots of fenders when you show up!

If I put out fenders to protect from an errant boat in the wee hours, he most certainly will hit me right where there is no fender.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 21:04   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Don they run aground before they reach me
Old 13-03-2017, 21:51   #26

Boat: Alubat, OVNI 47

It seems to be de rigueur in the Balearic islands.
Old 13-03-2017, 22:33   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainwireman View Post
Personally, I put fenders and whatever you call the planks that hang outside the fenders
They're called fender boards.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 22:52   #28

Boat: 50 Bene

If it's crowded and or has "unique characteristics" then yes! We were anchored up in Charleston just across from City Marina, we had been there almost a week. When the current, which runs pretty fast and the wind are at odds you will sail on your rode in a big figure eight. At least that's what our boat does. We anchored way away from anyone else and lo and behold a boat pulled up and anchored right next to us while we were away. Get back to the boat and we are stuck together at the bows, with serious scratches in the gel coat as well as significant damage to the teak cap rail. Called dnr filed a report then a suit in small claims court. They claimed they were there first! Luckily the security camera footage from our security system said otherwise. We received a favorable judgement but they were already in the wind. so now we always put out fenders usually on the front half of the boat. We have six so three on each side. Ironically we both had fenders out but just not in the right place.

Good luck
Will
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0022.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	143102  
Old 13-03-2017, 23:35   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

It is difficult to deploy fenders in such a way that they provide protection when at anchor. A boat that is dragging will turn beam on to the wind so will be at a significant angle when it hits. Likewise, a boat that swings into you will usually hit with its stern quarter.

It is not impossible but unlikely in both cases that you will have a fender in the correct position. This is especially true for a dragging boat, and these are the boats that are likely to hit with speed and do damage.

However, it is very helpful to have a couple of fenders and a boat hook that can be deployed rapidly. If you see a boat dragging or swinging into you and are quick you can position a roving fender in the right spot. Be careful, dragging boats can injure and there has been at least one fatality from someone who was crushed, so keep body parts well away.

This photo shows how a dragging boat (the middle white boat) is likely to hit. It is just about to collide with the grey boat. Notice how a dragging boat will frequently adopt an attitude at close to a 90° angle to the wind and therfore almost at right angles to an anchored boat. Of course this usually all happens at 2am

noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 00:58   #30

Yes, it's always suggested (and in some geographies it's mandatory) to put fenders when at anchor, you might be alone when you arrive but other boats could arrive later and many times among the various boats some anchoring might not have done properly or at a safety distance.
EWOL Props is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, fender