Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2016, 09:24   #1

Duluth Boat Yards or Marinas

I am having my Hunter legend 35.5 trucked to Duluth and would appreciate re commendations for the best boat yard or marina with haul-in and mast stepping and short term moorage.
Tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 09:47   #2

Re: Duluth Boat Yards or Marinas

Barker's island seems to be popular, and well run. I have only stopped for lunch myself, but people who use them like it there.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
monstads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 10:36   #3

Location: East coast USA; temperature controlled, north in summer and south in winter
Boat: 53' Skookum pilothouse cutter

Barker's Island is in Superior WI twin city to Duluth. Pretty and well maintained full service marina. We stay at Lakehead Boat Basin. No frills marina. Live aboards there. Fuel, pump out, dockage to 150', 50 ton travel lift open end. Up to 10' draft. Limited chandlery but can order for you. Joel can appear crusty but is very helpful and has a good sense of humor. His daughter Jodi is very nice. They are a nice family to work with. We enjoy being there. Walking distance Canal Park, restaurants, bars great place. This marina is the best view of the lift bridge and Duluth. Telephone number 218-722-1757; LBB@LakeHeadBoatBasin.com
NRbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 10:36   #4

A quick look at Active Captain shows only two boatyards!!!

If I were you, I'd ask the trucker or call the two marinas. If only one does what you need...

Good luck. From everything I've read there are great cruising grounds off Bayfield (I have good friends there).
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 11:32   #5

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

There is also Knife River Marina a few miles ENE of Duluth. It is sheltered with immediate access to the open lake and an easy crossing to the Apostle Islands.
SVTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 11:41   #6

Boat: 1982 Morgan 383

I was docked at Barker's off and on over many years, and return there for all the work on my boat that I won't do myself. They were where I went to get ready to leave the Great Lakes, and where I will return when I return to the Great Lakes. I recommend them for anything you want done right. I've had work done by others and it was okay but I have never been unhappy with the service there. Any additional cost is worth it. The have a complete Chandlery and a very experienced staff - a good place to stay for a week, month or season, in or out of the water.
Old 29-03-2016, 11:48   #7

Boat: Rafiki 37

Barker's is the one in Duluth, but if you care to go a little further on there are some marinas in the Bayfield area as well.
Old 29-03-2016, 13:06   #8

To get boat to Lakehead Boat Basin, trucker needs to cross lift bridge so be sure to research that. Lakehead damaged our boat when it was lifted it out of water. Response was, "If you don't like it, get your boat out of here.". Which we did. We have stayed in Barkers Island for years and would recommend them highly. We have also had our boat shipped from the east coast to Barkers and they handled the everything very well.
Scott N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 13:06   #9

Barkers is in Superior, Wisconsin.
Scott N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 18:35   #10

Boat: True North 34

Hello Tiva! I have been in Duluth for 6 years and know the sailing community pretty well. I race with the keel club. I found my current boat hidden on the hard in a marina up the river a bit from the bay. I've had my boat hauled out and work done at both Barker's Island and Harbor Cove. Those are the two shops you should consider if you need work done. Doug at Riverside Boatworks (Harbor Cove) does good work and will treat you extremely well. Lakehead Boat Basin is right next door. I'm a liveaboard and the location is perfect...walking/cycling distance to downtown Duluth. I used to keep a boat at Knife River. I love the marina there and the quiet. But, it's an entirely different vibe than downtown Duluth. Hope this helps and I hope you enjoy your time here.
SailingMisty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas