Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2017, 06:52   #16

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
Re: Drifter how to ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
The "pulleys" are likely the sheet lead blocks that would attach to pad eyes or the toe rail near the aft of the yacht to allow the sheets to be lead to a winch. ..
+1. It's a typical 'retrofit' setup to the sheets running from the drifter to a point far aft on the toerail. A simply way to do this is to mount blocks/pulleys aft of the winches you normally use for the Genoa, run the sheets through the blocks and then back to the corresponding winch. You're typically never flying a drifter at the same time as your genoa is un-furled, so the winches are available for use. follow the other good advice regarding routing of the lazy sheet etc on this thread and you can't go that far wrong!
Old 06-06-2019, 07:55   #17

Boat: Tartan 34C

Hi there,
My boat came with a sail, labelled "Drifter", but it has no hanks or bolt rope for roller furling....so looks like it just sails with a free luff, like a spinnaker. So - is it really a drifter? Or a spinnaker?
Thanks!
Hattie
hattiews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:12   #18

Boat: SB 43' Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hattiews View Post
Hi there,
My boat came with a sail, labelled "Drifter", but it has no hanks or bolt rope for roller furling....so looks like it just sails with a free luff, like a spinnaker. So - is it really a drifter? Or a spinnaker?
Thanks!
Hattie
Sounds like a spinnaker to me. A drifter is the same material, but would normally hank on to the forestay. It should have hanks on the luff, and definitely not furl. If the forestay has a furled jib you would have to have some way of attaching the luff of the drifter to the furled headstay with attachments that go around the furled sail.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:44   #19

I used one of them a lot up around Rabaul, the northern end of the Solomons, & points north of there. Usually 3 Oz terylene, they are meant for breezes below about 6 knots, usually full cut, but still designed for going to windward. Polling them out down wind will usually turn them into a rubbish bag pretty quickly.

Great in the light winds near the equator, particularly in a left over sea that will have heavier sails slatting around as you roll. I would sheet the main in dead hard, like a board to stop the rolling, winch the luff of the drifter up hard, "drift" along at a few knots. A lovely was to spend a lazy day.
Hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote