Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2020, 21:04   #1

Dream Yacht or Moorings/Sunsail?

Hi everyone I am a 3 time Moorings catamaran owner thinking about switching to Dream Yacht Charter and wondered if if anyone one could give me comparisons either as owners or charterers.

I'm aware of the suspension of payments by DYC but I'm interested in customer service and reliability of both boats and bases.

How did your owner experience compare?
Kentley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:34   #2

Boat: TARTAN 34
Re: Dream Yacht or Moorings/Sunsail?

Hi There,

I have chartered from DYC in La Paz, Bahamas, and Annapolis, I have only chartered once with Moorings. My experience has been very good with DYC, the boats were in good if not great shape depending on the level you charter Premium, Super Premium also when problems occur they respond.

They also have a lot of bases to choose from which I like. I am doing another charter in Martinique in November with DYC (Keep your fingers crossed).

Thanks.
Danlong99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 13:11   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentley View Post
Hi everyone I am a 3 time Moorings catamaran owner thinking about switching to Dream Yacht Charter and wondered if if anyone one could give me comparisons either as owners or charterers.

I'm aware of the suspension of payments by DYC but I'm interested in customer service and reliability of both boats and bases.

How did your owner experience compare?
I would think any reports of customer service and reliability would be moot given that both companies have laid off the majority of the staff that would have provided either of those things and who knows who they bring back on if and when they bring them back on.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 13:58   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

In the islands, they will bring back the same folks.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 14:39   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

We've chartered something 15 or 16 times. Our last charter was with Dreamyacht. I wouldn't put a boat with charter with them if they were the last company in the world. Our experience with them was horrible. While they did offer us a substantial discount to go back to French Polynesia, there was no assurance that we wouldn't have a repeat of the last time. We are chartering in 2021 with Tahiti Yacht Charters. Beyond broken promises, and the continued marketing of a boat that in our opinion is misrepresented, as a last resort, you agree to litigate it in Mauritius. This is as a charterer, and I presume it's the same as an owner. Google it. Who do you think will come out on the better end of that lawsuit?

Our nearly-new Dufour 520 (that is only 49'11") was supposed to have 4 double cabins. We booked it before it was even built. The double cabin bunks were 33" wide at the hips. On top of that, there was duct tape instead of real repairs all over the boat. The running rigging was nearly inoperable. The response from the DYC base? "No one sails". WE DO.

If you want to read more: https://dreamyachtcharterssuck.com/

If you want something different, we've chartered a bunch of times with www.bviyachtcharters.com, and their boats have been fantastic. One of the best boats we've ever had was 5 years old from them. You would never have known it had been in charter that long.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Dream Yacht Charter, Moorings