Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2020, 05:28   #31

Re: Dream Yacht Charter Phase out

I skippered a DYC boat from the Marsh Harbor Abaco, Bahamas dock in 2017-18 with 2 different base managers. The staff was awesome however management another story. Many maintenance issues, no funds for repairs and boats going out in shoddy condition. They had very few spare parts available at the base so many repairs were left to chance. The dock guys tried but they were hampered by the managers. I would never recommend DYC to anyone after seeing how they treat their boats and employees. Perhaps other bases are different but I doubt it.
On a side note, which I think shows the true soul of a company, after Dorian clobbered Marsh Harbor a DYC employee begged the base manager for a boat from Nassau to return for employees and family members to evacuate them to Nassau. He was turned down by the manager and told DYC wasn't running a charity organization. That same employee insisted the fleet go to Nassau for the storm and got dockage for all. His reward was being fired. In the end a DYC boat owner stepped up and chartered a power cat from The Moorings to run supplies and evacuations. The Moorings, on the other hand, sent many boats and an airplane for employees and families.
I know this has nothing to do with the original question but as I mentioned, IMO, it lays open what the company is all about. Also, the latest reports from Nassau by DYC skippers is...boats going out late, many breakdowns, chaos..
Judyfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 14:21   #32

"Whoever you decide to go with: Be sure and make a visit to their base"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiAndDri View Post
Pretty limited experience of DYC but I delivered a Cat to their BVI base with the owner on board and I was pretty shocked at how dismissive the company were towards the owner, taking little notice of his concerns and not giving any information on charter dates etc.
I agree with both of them. I have chartered probably a dozen times with DYC around the world; most were good, but BVI was one of the worst of any co. A two-year old L52 I paid nearly 14K for had more problems than any yacht I've chartered. No one seemed to care, and the base manager didn't want to be bothered. Could the two things be related?
edsml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 13:17   #33

Just used DYC in Key West. I will say Elizabeth White our agent who also works with Navtours is excellent in addressing any concerns you may have. We worked with her at Navtours for our first two sails and since thee merger we used her for DYC this past sail. Hopefully she can help address some of the above concerns.
docwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 08:11   #34

Boat: Jeanneau 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
We've done 16 charters.
What would be your top 2-3 favourite places?
svtickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 18:36   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtickles View Post
What would be your top 2-3 favourite places?

French Polynesia (we are going back again in November). That's in spite of the horrible boat we had, courtesy of the charter company that is in the title of this thread.

Spanish Virgins.

Windward Islands.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, yacht