Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2010, 08:15   #16
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
You can't rely on any single tool. Well, except maybe the heavens. Even the heavens are subject to catastrophe. Who knows when the next big bang is going to be?.........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 08:18   #17

Boat: Cabo Rico
We could reactivate LORAN-C in short order. Chartplotters would be developed based on LORAN instead of GPS. But hey, I'm more worried about a leaky thru-hull than I am a shutdown of the GPS system.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 08:33   #18

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
What ever did we do before we had all these electronic wonders. I remember well as a young man going over the horizon in a boat, trolling all day and heading back for the inlet with only a cheap compass, and I'm still here. The inlet never showed up more than a couple of degrees from where I expected it to. Suddenly one day someone came along with a cheap Loran and then everyone had to have one. It was like we could turn off our brains. Before that we paid attention.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 09:42   #19

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
. . . It was like we could turn off our brains. Before that we paid attention.
I like that and it seems to fit quite well with what is seen out in the coastal and island waterways these days.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 11:11   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tanton 43
You can read all you want about selective availability during the outbreak of the gulf war but I was in the Bay Of Bengal at the time and we lost 100% of the GPS signal. I called surrounding ships and they too lost the signal. I then called the USAF's GPS watchstander in Colorado and he claimed no knowledge of a shutdown... he emailed me back a few days later to say that 1 "rogue satellite" took down the constellation.

Beleive me, or not - your call.
Old 24-11-2010, 11:26   #21
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
What ever did we do before we had all these electronic wonders.
Got lost?

But also comfortable with not knowing exactly where the boat was all the time - to the nearest foot / yard / mile (or so ). and not needing to know.

Yer not lost when you don't truly care
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 12:07   #22

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
I'm still comfortable not knowing where I am to the exact foot when I'm in the open ocean and I still don't trust the electronics enough to go in somewhere that I'm not familiar with when I can't see. I know this does not stop other people. I was off of St. Augustine inlet in Pea Soup fog a couple of years ago with Radar and and two working GPS's but I decided to wait for daylight and the fog to lift before trying to enter an inlet that I had only been through twice and was notorious for shoaling. However at the crack of dawn power boats started coming out of the inlet at full speed surely relying on their GPSs. Few, if any with Radar and all with idiots at the helm. One came as close as 20 feet at over 20 knots and I'm not sure they ever saw me or heard my horns over their roaring engines. Visibility was about 100 feet.

Am I lost? Never!!! At the very least I know which ocean I'm in and which way land is and I always know where I'm at, though the position of everything else may at times be in doubt.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 12:21   #23

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
G'Day All,

When we bought our very first GPS, way back in 1990, Trimble included a pamphlet which they published (they were one of the original prime contractors in the GPS system). The Title was "GPS -- the next utility" or something like that. Boy, were they right!

A fascinating interaction between military R&D and society...

Cheers,

Jim
Old 24-11-2010, 12:44   #24

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
gps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
Do you think its probably not a good time to rely on GPS at the moment. If the Nth Korean problem escalates, we could see a few satelites being shut down/adjusted prior to any retaliations Similar to Iraq 1 and 2.

One would assume the USA would shut hers down to give the South Korean allies a chance to pop a few salvos off.

(I dont want to start a political thread. Trying mainly to get an idea what other people think. Particularly, people who have been affected previously and to what level.)

Cheers
Oz
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE dont get into another panic just because the USA might poke her nose in somewhere she isnt wanted yet again they have other systems and dont need GPS
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 12:44   #25
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
HUH??? It fails when under clouds and fog and every kind of inclement weather... probably mostly when you need it most.
Well thats when other 'traditional skills' come in handy.. you should have a 'fix' from your last sight so you use dead reckoning... if its cloudy you use the 'eyeball' to keep clear of coastal hazards, if its foggy you bear out to sea a bit to stay safe... in both cases a decent chart will provide you with enough info to allow you to use your depth sounder to follow contours, landmarks etc...
But... if you only had a CP.... your stuffed...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 12:51   #26

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
30 years ago I did a circum nav with a watch and a compass because I broke my sextant. I didnt always arrive in the exact place I wanted but I did find land within the day I wanted and I got back home. Here I am now 30 years older and still using the same system it keeps my mind in working order and what the hell if I land in the wrong port so I meet some new people great. Electronics were invented to keep you spending on things you dont need, cant repair, pay a fortune to someone else to repair and wait in ports paying loads of dosh waiting for the bloody parts. Yep they realy are helpfull. He He He He. Rember folks K.I.S.S. KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote