Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 07:30   #196

Boat: Valiant 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Agave View Post
Has anyone here heard of setting an anchor alarm on your GPS?? Amazing.
In tight anchorages these are not always as helpful as one might think. Wind shifts can move a boat 200 feet or more even though the anchor did not budge. But 200 feet in the "wrong" direction could be a real problem in a lot of places.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:44   #197

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: Does constant anchoring wear you down?

I am going to have to go with surrealistic. Kind of reminds me of chickens when they see a spot of blood on another chicken.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:28   #198

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
It amazes me the suggestion that new sailors should be thinking in terms of right or left as opposed to the things that actually means something such as starboard or port. It just astounds me that the cardinal points of a compass would be used to describe the direction tiller should be pointed.

If one is teaching someone anything new, why not use the proper terminology. It means something. That terminology has been used for decades and centuries because it clearly defines nautical concepts.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:28   #199
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
I am going to have to go with surrealistic. Kind of reminds me of chickens when they see a spot of blood on another chicken.

I think that bloody chicken has been tossed into the water with the sharks
Old 11-10-2013, 10:37   #200

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
It amazes me the suggestion that new sailors should be thinking in terms of right or left as opposed to the things that actually means something such as starboard or port. It just astounds me that the cardinal points of a compass would be used to describe the direction tiller should be pointed.

If one is teaching someone anything new, why not use the proper terminology. It means something. That terminology has been used for decades and centuries because it clearly defines nautical concepts.
I think I have figured it out after much study of voluminous posting across many threads.

We (CF) are a social media laboratory for a grad level Stanford advanced communications psych class.

The whole class is participating in putting together stimulus posts under an assumed name and then grading and recording our responses. They are looking at frustration levels stimulated by language. They are interested in replies to nonsense posts.

The guiding text book is George Orwell's 1984 with emphasis on integrating government non-speak into the language of the middle classes.

"War is peace, freedom is slavery, etc."
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:00   #201

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Unless you are fitting hydraulic wheel steering for the first time and you didn't mark the hoses so you have a 50/50% chance of getting it right, or wrong. Amusing at first until you see the mess hydraulic fluid leaks make swopping the hoses over.

Pete
My friend ,a novice boater,did exactly this.He hooked up hyd. lines backwards.Then to top it off,he left dock and floored it (30ft sailboat).got 100 ft., turned to avoid boats at dock.Guess what happened.CRUNCH!
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:09   #202

Boat: Alberg 30
It took me a while to figure out, but I think I understand what Rakuflames is getting at.

Most people are thinking about the boat in terms of absolutes. Which makes sense and is the very reason absolute terms like port (left side of boat facing the bow) exist.

I suspect some posters are understandably thinking that the point of the tiller is the handle. That it faces the bow always. Turned around facing to the stern, the tiller is pointing towards the person steering.
If you think about the tiller in reverse too, that the rudder post is now the front of the tiller, the handle the back and you are pointing it and also the rudder in the direction of travel then everyone is saying the same thing.
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:18   #203
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Some of us have had to join in this thread to correct quite serious errors in your posts which a beginner may not appreciate.

As a teacher, I am sure you won't mind being corrected so your posts are accurate.

Pete
why let facts get in the way of a good argument
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:24   #204

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbrown View Post
It took me a while to figure out, but I think I understand what Rakuflames is getting at.

Most people are thinking about the boat in terms of absolutes. Which makes sense and is the very reason absolute terms like port (left side of boat facing the bow) exist.

I suspect some posters are understandably thinking that the point of the tiller is the handle. That it faces the bow always. Turned around facing to the stern, the tiller is pointing towards the person steering.
If you think about the tiller in reverse too, that the rudder post is now the front of the tiller, the handle the back and you are pointing it and also the rudder in the direction of travel then everyone is saying the same thing.
No, I can't agree with that. No matter where you stand, the rudder will always "point" in the opposite direction of the tiller.

But I do think that this is a specious and senseless argument. A moments trial and error in a boat will show even the novice which way to move the helm to accomplish a turn, whether in forward or reverse, semantics be damned. I agree that when reversing I find it convenient to stand facing aft, whether a wheel or a tiller is in use.

Meanwhile, why don't we move on and rejoin the conversation about the trials of constant anchoring. FWIW, Ann and I have lived mostly at anchor for 27 years now and still like it better than marina living. For us, marinas are places to go when lots of work needs doing or the boat must be left unattended for a while. YMMV.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 11-10-2013, 11:33   #205
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
No, I can't agree with that. No matter where you stand, the rudder will always "point" in the opposite direction of the tiller.

But I do think that this is a specious and senseless argument. A moments trial and error in a boat will show even the novice which way to move the helm to accomplish a turn, whether in forward or reverse, semantics be damned. I agree that when reversing I find it convenient to stand facing aft, whether a wheel or a tiller is in use.

Meanwhile, why don't we move on and rejoin the conversation about the trials of constant anchoring. FWIW, Ann and I have lived mostly at anchor for 27 years now and still like it better than marina living. For us, marinas are places to go when lots of work needs doing or the boat must be left unattended for a while. YMMV.

Cheers,

Jim
+1
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:48   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
How a tiller works. Pay close attention everyone -- this is really complicated:

Attachment 68467
OK, so which way is North?
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:51   #207

Another great anchoring thread! Oh yeah, and tiller goes to port, rudder goes to starboard. Boat goes...... nowhere - it's anchored.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 15:53   #208

Boat: Alberg 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Cheers,

Jim

Yes Jim,
That is precisely my point.
It took me a while to figure out what Rakuflames was describing, as I share your opinion of where a tiller points. As I was busy hanging a new 9' transom hung rudder we built for a customer, and looking over the stern after reading this thread with my coffee, it enlightened me as to how it could be described the other way around, and not imply that the rudder was turning opposite the tiller, a physical impossibility...

It is a back to front way of describing things, and I was hoping that the observation that we are all experiencing the same result, but describing it differently would let things get back on track for what had previously been an interesting thread.
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 16:18   #209

Bashing RAKU seems to be popular sport, and I dont often agree with her, but, ignoring wind and propwalk, put your boat in reverse and see which way your boat turns. Put the tiller to port and the boat turns to port. Sure the stern moves a bit to stb, but the damn boat turns to port. Bash away._____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 16:32   #210

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
You dangerously have all that the wrong way around!!!

When reversing a boat, pushing the tiller to port moves the boat to starboard (the bow will swing port, but the general movement of the boat is in the STARBOARD direction).
What else is new
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Just read the post and was going to comment, but see that I have been beaten to it. That is plain wrong Raku, sorry. The boat does not go to port in reverse with the tiller to port

Coops.
Ditto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Nor does the wheel act like a tiller if you turn around and face the stern when reversing!

No wonder we see inexperienced charterers moving the wheel/tiller the wrong way when reversing, when boat owners don't get it right!
Heh.

When turning the wheel "to the right" most people are thinking about the top of the wheel. It goes to the right. But the bottom of the wheel goes to the left.

Maybe she is just looking at/referring to the bottom of the wheel and the rest of us are wrong again?

Naaaa.

Tags
anchor, anchoring