Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 07:22   #136

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Does constant anchoring wear you down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
If I back out of my slip facing the bow, I turn the wheel to the left. If I turn around and face the stern instead of the bow, I turn the wheel to the right. Either way, the rudder does the same thing.
How can you turn a wheel to the left? if it is securely fitted then at least some of it must turn to the right. Surely you mean clockwise or anti clockwise.

Of course you would have been right about the tiller had you been on the bridge of the Titantic. I think the confusion was cleared up shortly afterwards for obvious reasons.

Now then you are aware the those red and green things in the water are the wrong way round in the US and the rest of the world has them the right way round, aren't you?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:36   #137

Boat: Oyster 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
How can you turn a wheel to the left? if it is securely fitted then at least some of it must turn to the right. Surely you mean clockwise or anti clockwise.

Of course you would have been right about the tiller had you been on the bridge of the Titantic. I think the confusion was cleared up shortly afterwards for obvious reasons.

Now then you are aware the those red and green things in the water are the wrong way round in the US and the rest of the world has them the right way round, aren't you?

Pete
Time Out!

A woman was standing in a supermarket queue talking on her cellphone. She wasn't speaking English. When she had finished than man in front of her rudely told her that she should speak English. "Pardon me?" said the lady. Very slowly the man says "this is America, here we speak English, if you want to speak Mexican go back to Mexico". The lady replied, "I was speaking Navajo, if you want to speak English go back to England".
Old 10-10-2013, 07:51   #138

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
wouldn't half of these, "my anchor let go" stories be avoided if everyone used a stern anchor? .
A stern anchor is often very useful to keep a boat from swinging in an undesirable direction, or to align the boat with the swell etc.

However as general rule it will not increase the holding power. If the wind has some beam on component (which it usually does) it will tend to decrease holding.

The other problem is that introduces potential conflict with other boats that are lying at single anchor that may be sharing the anchorage.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:55   #139

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Quote:

The thing I will add that I haven't seen addressed recently is the issue of prop wash. It's not much of a problem with my boat, but the way my bow catches the wind is something I must always pay attention to. Boats don't always steer as we expect or wish them to. Whether the issue is prop wash or a bow that catches the wind pretty easily, one's docking plan should work WITH these traits and not against it. Sometimes it's better to move past your slip so when your stern turns into the slip, your boat's innate nature is helping rather than harming you.
Are you aware of the difference between prop *wash* and prop*walk*?

Terminology *is* important.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:31   #140
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Oh ship. As Holmes would have said, "The game's afoot -- again!"

It happened. You've made it clear that you don't like me, so I could probably say something like "your boat will point up better if your headsail out, and you will immediately think of an exception, and then pound me for not listing that exception, instead of just politely adding to the conversation.

Go read my other response, or (censored).
Raku, you talk about two different things and seem to indicate that they are the same. If you push the TILLER to port when reversing, then the boat will turn to starboard. If you put the RUDDER to port, then the boat will go to port. You said "tiller' in your first post about this, then afterwards in another one you said rudder. I "pounded" you because the first statement is completely incorrect. You are always warning folks about false information, so I was only doing the same.

Coops.
Old 10-10-2013, 13:25   #141

So..... does constant bickering wear you down? Seems not.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 13:53   #142

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Your stern does not become your bow because you are facing it.
Even in my canoe stern boat...?

Hey, maybe I have been sailing my boat backwards all this time, and I just didn't realise it. Could explain why getting into the pen forwards is such a hassle.
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 18:44   #143

Boat: Skookum 53'

Nah, but it should move easier through the water than the square sterns.
Old 10-10-2013, 20:24   #144
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
wouldn't half of these, "my anchor let go" stories be avoided if everyone used a stern anchor?
when anchoring 8' off the shore on the 4th, i used a stern anchor in a 2kt reverse tide, and it worked perfect. i just took it out in the dingy, dropped it, and pulled it tight. i slept all night with that, and was fine in the morning. i have considered two stern anchors, one on each side. 3 points of anchor, hard to mess up...
You will be much better off, and less trouble to other nearby boaters if you forget about using a stern anchor or two and just get one oversized new generation anchor for the bow. Your holding strength will actually be much better especially will all chain rode appropriately sized for the load. Using a stern anchor is generally reserved for special situations like trying to keep your boat headed into a swell when there are no other boats around, or in a small cove where there isn't room on one side to swing without running aground. If you try using two stern anchors.. Good luck cleaning up that tangled mess.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 20:42   #145
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Are you aware of the difference between prop *wash* and prop*walk*?

Terminology *is* important.

And slips of tongue *do* happen. I meant prop walk, and I suspect you know I meant that.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 20:45   #146
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

Pete

And yet others understood. Aren't you quaint.

Yes, I know we have the red and green backwards. I watched a British acquaintance make a bit of a scene once in a US hardware store because what you call "split" pins, we call cotter pins. He seemed to think one of the largest hardware stores in the country should re-name that whole section because (grin) some small, obscure country on the other side of the bathtub thinks they're right.

Actually "split" pin makes more sense. I asked my dad once why they were called "cotter pins." To me, I thought pins should be pointy and sharp. His answer?

"I don't know."

Old 10-10-2013, 21:14   #147
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Raku, you talk about two different things and seem to indicate that they are the same. If you push the TILLER to port when reversing, then the boat will turn to starboard. If you put the RUDDER to port, then the boat will go to port. You said "tiller' in your first post about this, then afterwards in another one you said rudder. I "pounded" you because the first statement is completely incorrect. You are always warning folks about false information, so I was only doing the same.

Coops.
Oh you poor thing. Keeping all those notes must be quite the burden. I'm sure you never use word B when you meant A, and I'm sure you always proofread your posts five times before making them.

We could just be civil and clear up any misunderstandings without sarcasm or barbs, but where would the "fun" be in that?
Old 10-10-2013, 21:29   #148

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Oh you poor thing. Keeping all those notes must be quite the burden. I'm sure you never use word B when you meant A, and I'm sure you always proofread your posts five times before making them.

We could just be civil and clear up any misunderstandings without sarcasm or barbs, but where would the "fun" be in that?
Coops,

just accept you will never have the last word unless you close this thread.

downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 21:30   #149

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Quote:

And slips of tongue *do* happen. I meant prop walk, and I suspect you know I meant that.
I had no idea what you meant, but I did know what you wrote. Glad you cleared it up. Hopefully any new comers see the correction.
Old 10-10-2013, 21:34   #150
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Using the correct terminology would not lead to misunderstanding at all. To have let your original statement pass could have been dangerous for the new sailor. This is something that you should care about. You, as a teacher, of sailing or otherwise, should know how important it is to state clearly what you mean to say.

Coops.

Tags
anchor, anchoring