Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2016, 11:44   #31

Re: Does anyone remember that arrogant kid who built his aluminum multi that was dest

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Well, Edison didn't go on an internet forum to ask for advice from experts and then completely and arrogantly ignore that advice, which (of course) contributed to the almost immediate failure of the boat. But neither of you were members of this forum then, were you? So maybe you shouldn't be chiding those who were.
LOL, my thoughts exactly!
Old 18-01-2016, 11:58   #32
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Does anyone remember that arrogant kid who built his aluminum multi that was dest

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbrain View Post
does anyone know of a catamaran designed along Western lines - fiberglass or composite, or even plywood - which is designed to flex and doesn't tend to break up?

Yeah, the new Leopard cats do, obviously by design.
Was chatting to someone who just brought one up from South Africa (delivery) and obviously no one has told him about it. Freaked him right out. But I think he was fine after the 6,000nms.

I don't know more but others must

I don't see it as a problem at all... but maybe that's because my dad was a civil engineer and most structures flex, expand or both.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 12:04   #33

Boat: Catalina 30

Did he also eat his dockmasters fingers?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 18-01-2016, 12:06   #34

Boat: Scout 30

Here's some more info on Dvid Vann & his tri.
Pressure Drop - Tin Can Recycled

I remember seeing Eric Taberly's Pen Duick IV ( Association Eric Tabarly - Pen Duick IV ) when I was a kid after he had just won the Transpac. The boat was very impressive & clearly well designed & built as it was sailed around the world. However, it was lost without a trace about 10 years later. The forces trimarans have to tolerate are tremendous & much greater than catamarans which are still quite considerable. I think that if Vann had truly understood this he would have designed a cat instead & he might have been successful although that's probably doubtful. Still, Vann's tri looked a hell of a lot better than the Flyin' Hawaiian! The end of a dream: homemade 'Flyin' Hawaiian' catamaran for sale on eBay
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 12:14   #35

Quote:
Well, Edison didn't go on an internet forum to ask for advice from experts and then completely and arrogantly ignore that advice, which (of course) contributed to the almost immediate failure of the boat. But neither of you were members of this forum then, were you? So maybe you shouldn't be chiding those who were.
Begs the question; would he now? There was no internet then so people just wrote each other letters. Do you actually know that Edison never conferred with his peers? If Edison was alive today would he go on a scientific forum of his peers & comment or ask questions? I think it's certainly possible that he would & could also come off as arrogant if he ignored Tesla when he told him he was an idiot.
Old 18-01-2016, 12:17   #36
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Begs the question; would he now? There was no internet then so people just wrote each other letters. Do you actually know that Edison never conferred with his peers? If Edison was alive today would he go on a scientific forum of his peers & comment or ask questions? I think it's certainly possible that he would & could also come off as arrogant if he ignored Tesla when he told him he was an idiot.
Edison (by all acounts) was a driven, egomaniacal slavedriver to work for. But he backed his assholeness up with results. Can't say the same for Vann.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 12:39   #37

Boat: Vivacity 20

Quote:
... If Edison was alive today would he go on a scientific forum of his peers & comment or ask questions? I think it's certainly possible that he would & could also come off as arrogant if he ignored Tesla when he told him he was an idiot.
Well, in fact Edison was advocating the use of CC for electric power transmission, while Tesla thought AC was better. We can see now who was right...
Bertie68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 12:47   #38

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Edison was actually all for DC power. CC is an acronym for "constant current".

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 12:51   #39

Quote:
Edison (by all acounts) was a driven, egomaniacal slavedriver to work for. But he backed his assholeness up with results. Can't say the same for Vann.
Unless you have to live with Vann or Edison their demeanors are irrelevant. All that matters is the result. To be fair Vann did actually design & build a pretty large trimaran on his own which is pretty impressive. It just wasn't structurally sound which is kind of important. If he had started out small & developed his knowledge through trial & error he might have ended up being successful. Of course he could have learned a lot from studying Wharram, Newick, White & others. I think one of his biggest problems was his choice of material. It would have been easier for an amateur to design & build with wood than aluminum.
Old 18-01-2016, 12:53   #40
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Unless you have to live with Vann or Edison their demeanors are irrelevant.

If he had started out small & developed his knowledge through trial & error he might have ended up being successful.
Speculation about what Vann might have accomplished is irrelevant.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 13:10   #41

Quote:
You should ask Tesla if Edison and he ever conferred. I'm sure Tesla would have something to say about his friend Edison.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 13:50   #42

This design scheme needs to have a cross bar fore and aft to close the ends of the X and tie in the center hull to the fore and aft ends of the outer hull which then would function as a truss and be quite sturdy.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 14:59   #43

Quote:
Speculation about what Vann might have accomplished is irrelevant.
I disagree.
Old 18-01-2016, 15:06   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
You should ask Tesla if Edison and he ever conferred. I'm sure Tesla would have something to say about his friend Edison.
From what I've read Edison was no friend of Tesla. Edison was his employer who promised him a large bonus if he helped him with his inventions & then went back on his word after Tesla made great progress & said it was a joke. Tesla responded by quitting.
Old 18-01-2016, 15:12   #45

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I add my voice: what is the aim of this thread? Seems to meet all the criteria of a blatant troll.

Jim

Tags
aluminum, member