Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2016, 08:41   #16

Boat: Sandibar 35
Re: Does anyone remember that arrogant kid who built his aluminum multi that was dest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
He was on here 4-5-6 years ago bragging and bragging about how he was going to win the Transpac or circumnavigate in the multi with a big X made of tubing and the thing broke up in no time and he had to be rescued like the 2nd day?
Being a noob on this forum (and to sailing mostly too) I do not remember. Sounds like an interesting story tho... those threads make the best entertainment. So, did something new come up now, after 4-6 years?
Sandibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 09:12   #17
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Does anyone remember that arrogant kid who built his aluminum multi that was dest

Quote:
He was on here 4-5-6 years ago bragging and bragging about how he was going to win the Transpac or circumnavigate in the multi with a big X made of tubing and the thing broke up in no time and he had to be rescued like the 2nd day?
I don't remember. But I wonder what the point of the thread is?
Old 18-01-2016, 09:32   #18

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

That's what I'm wondering...
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 09:47   #19

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
A couple of smug newbies, here all of 2 months, ready to jump down my throat over something that they had no experience with and no understanding of
I don't see how it matters for how long I've been reading / posting here. Even if he is the biggest twerp to have ever posted here, and let's assume that he is, this topic is -in my personal opinion, which people are free to ignore or disagree with of course- just in bad taste, or whatever the expression is in English.

I wasn't "jumping down your throat" - or at least, that wasn't my intention. I just don't think it's a very classy post - meaning, it could have been worded a little differently. Since this is a forum, I think I can express that -- even if I only have X posts or have only been here for X period of time.

Anyway, it's not my intention to go off-topic or to annoy you, so I'll ignore this topic and go to my quiet corner
Old 18-01-2016, 10:22   #20

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Quote:
As a matter of fact, I was once a prolific contributor to this forum, I was on here every day for several years. I'm now out cruising and working as a marine mechanic. It seems that I could have a lot to offer. In just one thread I am reminded why I left. A couple of smug newbies, here all of 2 months, ready to jump down my throat over something that they had no experience with and no understanding of. I believe that the anonymity of this forum allows self important dweebs to flourish. I'm going back to the facebook forums where there are pictures of the posters and real names and where they're less likely to be outright ******** hiding behind assumed identities.
Ok so see you in another 5 out 6 years with another old post going no where. Safe sailing.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 10:22   #21

There are people that don't understand how ignorant and lacking they are. I knew an automotive fabricator that thought engineers were stupid. I looked at a rollbar he had designed and attached to a dune buggy, could see in an instant that it would collapse and provide no support at all. I told him so, full knowing that he wasn't receptive to anything at all, pure and simple. He was just wired that way from an early age I had to guess. He had a lot of work so his welding abilities must have been fine but letting him design anything at all would be a fundamental mistake for sure. I'm not a desk pounder by nature. I just pass the info I have to the non-receptive persons so that I'll not feel guilty and that's it, not my problem really...
MaxWebXperienZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 10:50   #22

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

Quote:
As a matter of fact, I was once a prolific contributor to this forum, I was on here every day for several years. I'm now out cruising and working as a marine mechanic. It seems that I could have a lot to offer. In just one thread I am reminded why I left. A couple of smug newbies, here all of 2 months, ready to jump down my throat over something that they had no experience with and no understanding of. I believe that the anonymity of this forum allows self important dweebs to flourish. I'm going back to the facebook forums where there are pictures of the posters and real names and where they're less likely to be outright ******** hiding behind assumed identities.
There is another way to look at it: in just one thread you may have proven why no one seems to have noticed that you were gone.

Why not take a breath and not worry so much about how others may or may not react to your comment. You sound as if you are seeking some sort of validation; if you are happier on Facebook then, by all means, go back. But if you had read any of the previous postings of those "dweebs" you would find that they are pretty cool people expressing opinions. Exactly what you were doing...

I am new to this forum also and will likely move on when the weather breaks this spring, but there are a lot of really fascinating folks here, with a diversity of opinion and thought that I find interesting. We do not have to agree, and some have a problem with that, but I am glad to have stumbled upon this forum.

And I am sure some will be happy to see me go...but if you have something to offer, please do so and try and keep an open mind.
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 10:55   #23

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
I don't see how it matters for how long I've been reading / posting here. Even if he is the biggest twerp to have ever posted here, and let's assume that he is, this topic is -in my personal opinion, which people are free to ignore or disagree with of course- just in bad taste, or whatever the expression is in English.

I wasn't "jumping down your throat" - or at least, that wasn't my intention. I just don't think it's a very classy post - meaning, it could have been worded a little differently. Since this is a forum, I think I can express that -- even if I only have X posts or have only been here for X period of time.

Anyway, it's not my intention to go off-topic or to annoy you, so I'll ignore this topic and go to my quiet corner
Please, don't go...LOL! You are much more fun when you are not in your quiet corner. Don't let that old fart bother you! He just needs a nap.
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 10:55   #24

I remember the boat, but don't remember the guy posting on here. But then I was building my own boat at the time, so could easily have missed it.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 10:56   #25

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandibar View Post
Being a noob on this forum (and to ....
What is a noob? I see the word here quite often.
Old 18-01-2016, 11:07   #26

Does anyone remember that arrogant kid who built his aluminum multi that was ...

The shorthand version of "new"...

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
916senna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 11:08   #27

The post about native multihulls in the Pacific flexing and avoiding the hard pounding of a rigid structure got me curious. I am wondering, does anyone know of a catamaran designed along Western lines - fiberglass or composite, or even plywood - which is designed to flex and doesn't tend to break up?

I don't know much about ship design, I recall my Dad saying building a large multihull with a structure that would last was a very big problem, and the Navy at that point had not really resolved it = he worked for the Navy, not in that field but was told this by people who did.
boatbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 11:08   #28

Boat: Sandibar 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
Haha, got me there! I have learned from my son that noob is newbie. The OP used "newbie", I was not paying close attention.
Sandibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 11:21   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbrain View Post
The post about native multihulls in the Pacific flexing and avoiding the hard pounding of a rigid structure got me curious. I am wondering, does anyone know of a catamaran designed along Western lines - fiberglass or composite, or even plywood - which is designed to flex and doesn't tend to break up?

I don't know much about ship design, I recall my Dad saying building a large multihull with a structure that would last was a very big problem, and the Navy at that point had not really resolved it = he worked for the Navy, not in that field but was told this by people who did.
Wharrams are designed to be able to flex.

But it's really not difficult to design rigid structures that will last.

I guess it depends on how you define large and lasting, but big fast passenger catamarans have been operating for decades. Some are 20-30 years old now, and haven't fallen apart yet.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 11:43   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
Someone who doesn't know how to search on Google.

Tags
aluminum, member