Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2008, 13:46   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Fishspearit

Thanks.
I guess you dont see more for the simple $$$
The brocure pics loss somthing as well.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 13:59   #47

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time
Hard dodger

A hard dodger/pilot house is definitely on my list of improvements to my new center cockpit ketch. I've suffered without them on two sloops wanting them and plan to suffer no longer. I still haven't decided on the aesthetics, a few preliminary drawings have been made but the time to start construction is fast approaching. I've got a few other projects slightly higher or at least equal priority.

Concerning why the boats aren't built with them in the first place: Most boats are designed to make a name for themselves in racing. A dodger doesn't fit the classic lines of a sailboat. They cost money. Size, hard vs soft, bimini vs hard top, vs pilot house, these are all personal preferences, how can a designer decide, best to let the owner decide and add it later. IMHO, Jon
Old 06-05-2008, 14:08   #48

Boat: Outbound 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishspearit View Post
James, that's nice looking work there.

This thread has me wondering, if we are all so unanimous on the need for spray and hatch protection, how come so few boats are built with that protection?
Dodgers are great for offshore work. If you are racing, they slow you down. If you are always out on nice sunny days, they block your vision. Everything is a trade-off. And they cost money to put on and need replacing every 5 years or so.

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 14:13   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Heres a side veiw.
I've got short hand holds to mount on the top/sides
Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=dodger side.jpg Views: 126 Size: 48.2 KB ID: 3505" style="margin: 2px" />
Old 06-05-2008, 14:23   #50

Boat: Townson 46
Yep you usually need one for spray protection in a centre cockpit design, a bit less so for aft cockpits. There is still nothing like sailing with the wind on your face and a clear view ahead though. Looking out through the plastic, usually distorted with creases and UV degradation is a poor second in terms of sailing experience. I wouldn't go without one but at least 50% of the time ours is folded down onto the cabin top.
salient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:06   #51

Boat: Cabot 36
A dodger is a great handhold and this is an astounding question from someone who has been out there cruising with one before.
It ranks as one of the most important pieces of equipment on our boat. In fact this post has made me decide to get it resewn or replaced. I know how important it is.
Hope Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:39   #52

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I’m starting to think about my “bimini” design.
To be honest…with my future cruising being limited to coastal northern med. during the summer months….I’m wondering how often I would take it down.

I’m tossing around the idea of having it semi permanent…with a hard top….with a reasonable window for seeing the sails…and a light duty sliding panel under it for a window shade.

The thing would be able to be removed…but its something you would do at the dock.

I can see over my hard dodger when standing….the Hard bimini would be about a foot+ higher.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:22   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
I’m starting to think about my “bimini” design.
To be honest…with my future cruising being limited to coastal northern med. during the summer months….I’m wondering how often I would take it down.

I’m tossing around the idea of having it semi permanent…with a hard top….with a reasonable window for seeing the sails…and a light duty sliding panel under it for a window shade.

The thing would be able to be removed…but its something you would do at the dock.

I can see over my hard dodger when standing….the Hard bimini would be about a foot+ higher.
I don't see much of a benefit for a hard bimini. A soft bimini can be easily rolled up at almost any time, even underway in settled conditions. That's a benefit I would not give up. I think hard dodger/soft bimini is a great combination.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:06   #54

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I’m telling ya man….The med in the summer time is warm…..I cant see myself taking the bimini down…..and when I leave her….the bimini would also stay up …..with the addition of side curtains.
A hard top also gives me a nice place to laminate a bunch of solar cells.

I know the idea seems fundamentally wrong…however you do see it done on cats a lot.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:57   #55
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
With a Bimini up you can't see the stars. Can't even see the #$%& sails!!!!!!!!

We always fold ours back at night. I've actually only ever sailed on one or 2 boats with them and have always felt cut off. Most boats have been more racing or racer/cruisers. Dodgers can be ok, if again, then can be folded forward quickly and without hassel.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:45   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You can see the sails through the skylight/window in the top…..But you definatly have a good point on the stars!!

Tags
dodger