Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2022, 09:22   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression
Re: Do you think this cockpit is well designed ?

more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2022, 10:41   #17

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontide View Post
Looked at the pics and I really have no idea why they bothered putting the door between the dining/galley area and the helm. Can close off the entire area with what looks like a drop down rear door like Seawinds. Very similiar to Gunboats except for the doors between helm and salon area.
The cockpit area is designed to be a "wet" area (has drainage as well), so the doors are there to keep the outside from getting inside
Old 24-01-2022, 10:53   #18

Boat: Tartan 4100

I like the idea of a protected cockpit such as this but one major issue I would have is the visibility aft, how would you be able to see vessels approaching from the stern plus when you need to back into a slip or fuel dock, how can you see? The other thing is the ability to handle dock lines, you will need crew because you won't easily be able to jump out of that cockpit to grab/handle lines, unless there's a side entry to it that you can't see from the pics.
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2022, 12:18   #19

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga's Lie View Post
I like the idea of a protected cockpit such as this but one major issue I would have is the visibility aft, how would you be able to see vessels approaching from the stern plus when you need to back into a slip or fuel dock, how can you see? The other thing is the ability to handle dock lines, you will need crew because you won't easily be able to jump out of that cockpit to grab/handle lines, unless there's a side entry to it that you can't see from the pics.
Having been aboard this boat, I think the vision aft might not be a huge issue. The whole cabin is filled with windows so it's relatively easy to see in all directions. It might require standing up and taking a few steps every now and then, of course.

For harbor maneuvering, I would use video feeds and/or remote controllers. I can't quite remember, but I think hull #1 indeed had video installed.

Dock lines-- that was my biggest worry as well when I saw the boat. I assume they can make side entries but on that one, you'd have to jump out through the front opening (next to the mast) or run all the way back. Some kind of secondary control station/remote control would be good here as well. Or another person, or a couple of them
Old 18-01-2023, 10:22   #20

Boat: Jeanneau 44 DS

Jumping in here on this thread.
The saloon area is spectacular, but how about the ventilation in the berths?
All I am seeing are small side hatches and nothing overhead. Is there a solution to this? Does the AC somehow run every night? Or just sweat it out?

Sorry for jacking the cockpit thread
johnnyj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit