Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2015, 20:55   #46

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Re: Do you move your anchor and chain underway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Not at all trying to stir things up. I just didn't see the point of connecting the two. Now I can see it but see it as not practical nor a good idea.
That is just me.
To spell it out for ya An easy way to shift the chain aft and lower is to put a long connecting pipe from the bottom of the chain locker forward running under the forward double berth into another chain locker at the aft end of the berth. This long connecting pipe should have a nice rounded ends so the chain can feed easily both ways.

I had this setup on SP1. The forward chain locker could hold 70 meters just, but with it full the boat was dangerously wet and slow. She just plowed through any chop scooping waves right up to the mast. So I normally used to stow 35 meters in the aft locker and 35 meters forward. With this she sailed much better and only spray came aboard.

The issue was transferring the chain from one locker to the other. I could only do it when the forward locker was empty. So if I'd used more than 35 meters I would stack the chain on deck in 2 meter sections and then go below and pull it aft from inside at the aft locker. A bit of a pain, but not as bad as it sounds. For longer trips I stowed most of the chain aft, but normally left the anchor on deck, connected to the chain ready to go.

If I had had a windlass with a remote switch I could have stayed below and pulled the chain in slowly with the windlass as I stacked in the aft locker. When I got to my 30 meter mark I could go on deck and let the rest of the chain self stow in the forward locker. There are some dangers involved with using the windlass without watching it. The system needs to be reliable and not prone to snarls, and you would need to alert to any change in sound/load. In stronger winds you would need to motor up and take the load off the windlass, and make sure you where not dragging, hard if singlehanded.

Another advantage of this is that my aft locker stayed dry, prolonging the life of the chain stowed there.
Old 25-01-2015, 08:25   #47

Boat: Tayana 52

Bingo. I have pipe between the anchor longer and sail locker. On passage I pay out all the chain stored in the chain locker then feed the b end through the pipe into the bottom of the sail locker. To pay the chain through the pipe requires me to tail and operate the windlass. That's where the remote around the neck is handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Gerrycooper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 10:33   #48

Boat: a sailing boat

Not moving here but would have if could have.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 10:58   #49

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Exclamation Re: Do you move your anchor and chain underway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
To spell it out for ya An easy way to shift the chain aft and lower is to put a long connecting pipe from the bottom of the chain locker forward running under the forward double berth into another chain locker at the aft end of the berth. This long connecting pipe should have a nice rounded ends so the chain can feed easily both ways.

I had this setup on SP1. The forward chain locker could hold 70 meters just, but with it full the boat was dangerously wet and slow. She just plowed through any chop scooping waves right up to the mast. So I normally used to stow 35 meters in the aft locker and 35 meters forward. With this she sailed much better and only spray came aboard.

The issue was transferring the chain from one locker to the other. I could only do it when the forward locker was empty. So if I'd used more than 35 meters I would stack the chain on deck in 2 meter sections and then go below and pull it aft from inside at the aft locker. A bit of a pain, but not as bad as it sounds. For longer trips I stowed most of the chain aft, but normally left the anchor on deck, connected to the chain ready to go.

If I had had a windlass with a remote switch I could have stayed below and pulled the chain in slowly with the windlass as I stacked in the aft locker. When I got to my 30 meter mark I could go on deck and let the rest of the chain self stow in the forward locker. There are some dangers involved with using the windlass without watching it. The system needs to be reliable and not prone to snarls, and you would need to alert to any change in sound/load. In stronger winds you would need to motor up and take the load off the windlass, and make sure you where not dragging, hard if singlehanded.

Another advantage of this is that my aft locker stayed dry, prolonging the life of the chain stowed there.
Now that makes some sense. I was thinking along those lines, hawse pipe. I'm not sure that would be correct under the deck. My initial take on using the winch was recommending doing over the deck which didn't make any sense. Maybe because someone quipped about following the chain overboard?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor