Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2015, 10:53   #31

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Re: Do you move your anchor and chain underway?

Snowpetrel, the switch wiring for your windlass motor goes to a relay to make the motor go one way or the other. By simply making any number of additional switches connected IN PARALLEL you can place a simple double-throw on-off-on momentary rocker switch anywhere you want. In addition to the switch, I include a large red LED next to it to notify me that the windlass circuit is energized, and it provides some light for me to work by if it's dark.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 11:33   #32

Boat: Tayana 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Snowpetrel, the switch wiring for your windlass motor goes to a relay to make the motor go one way or the other. By simply making any number of additional switches connected IN PARALLEL you can place a simple double-throw on-off-on momentary rocker switch anywhere you want. In addition to the switch, I include a large red LED next to it to notify me that the windlass circuit is energized, and it provides some light for me to work by if it's dark.

Harbor Freight sell a remote control for a truck winch, cost around $35. Simple installation on the windlass solenoid control box and the remote has a ring for a lanyard. Not only is it handy for leaning over the bow and paying out chain for the bridle but when inside the anchor locker you can haul in or out.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Gerrycooper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 13:30   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

The only boats I have removed the anchor on were serious race boats. But don't think to emulate them, we had containers show up at the end of the race with the anchor, and a tender to deploy it. The boat did carry a small (minimum allowed) anchor below, but no one in their right mind would rely on it.

Frankly any gain in performance to me would be offset by the now massive amount of anchor chain you will have to live around for days or weeks on end. The trade off just isn't worth it.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 13:35   #34

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

^ thanks. Both solutions are great ideas for making it easier to restow the chain aft. I'm just setting up snowpetrel2's anchoring system/chain lockers . So I will look into something like this. Cheers

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 23-01-2015, 13:48   #35

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Just wondering? How did it get from should I restow my anchor to remote windless switches?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 13:59   #36

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingKitty View Post
One thing to note, if you do leave your anchor on the bow, always secure your anchor with a rope to a cleat or some other secure point and leave the chain a bit loose. That takes the strain off the windlass and shackle. Friends lost an anchor overboard when their swivel sheared. They had always made their chain bar taut to keep the anchor from rattling. Bye bye shiny SS anchor!
Doesn't everyone have a chain stop that can be used for this purpose? The windlass shouldn't be used to take the full force of anchoring.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 14:04   #37

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrycooper56 View Post
Harbor Freight sell a remote control for a truck winch, cost around $35. Simple installation on the windlass solenoid control box and the remote has a ring for a lanyard. Not only is it handy for leaning over the bow and paying out chain for the bridle but when inside the anchor locker you can haul in or out.
Check on Amazon and eBay stores - you can get these for ~$12. I got one on Amazon with no expectation that it would work. Imagine my surprise. Even if the ruggedness is not up to snuff, you can buy 10 of them for what Lewmar sells theirs for.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 15:07   #38

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
.............. what are the risks involved with a large anchor on the bow roller when on a long passage? Burying the bow in a wave will have the real possibility of damage if the anchor came adrift.
There are several ways of securing the anchor so this can't happen. Some you buy, some you make. Your anchor should be secured regardless of where you travel.
Old 23-01-2015, 15:17   #39
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Doesn't everyone have a chain stop that can be used for this purpose? The windlass shouldn't be used to take the full force of anchoring.

Mark
Nope to first question and yep to second .

I don't use a chain stop but I do secure the chain to the Samson post rather that the windlass when anchored, usually by way of a snubber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
There are several ways of securing the anchor so this can't happen. Some you buy, some you make. Your anchor should be secured regardless of where you travel.
Exactly and let me add, the method of securing should be both secure and easy to release. This is not always self-evident to some
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 15:45   #40

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I have a medium displacment boat and I don't move the chain BUT where I am cruising I am not going very far at a stretch. If I were out longer I probably would move the chain, not anchors. BUT I have a fairly small boat and I don't have a LOT of chain to move too. Maybe another reason not to buy a really big boat...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 15:46   #41

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Cadence, I believe the OP was referring to the effect of the weight and rode on performance. Once that had been established, others chimed in on options to leaving the mass of anchor and chain up in the tippytop of the hull's pointy end. Not necessarily thread drift. Here's an excerpt of his first post:"do you leave your anchor and chain in the chain locker or do you move ir aft to get the weight out of the end of the boat and cut down on hobby horsing?".
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 15:53   #42

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Couldn't imagine moving 200 feet of 3/8-inch chain and related anchor around the boat. Besides, my boat is a bit stern-heavy with full tankage. If anything, I'd add another 100 feet of chain in the bow.
Old 24-01-2015, 08:15   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Cadence, I believe the OP was referring to the effect of the weight and rode on performance. Once that had been established, others chimed in on options to leaving the mass of anchor and chain up in the tippytop of the hull's pointy end. Not necessarily thread drift. Here's an excerpt of his first post:"do you leave your anchor and chain in the chain locker or do you move ir aft to get the weight out of the end of the boat and cut down on hobby horsing?".
I was referring to the remote windless switches, I could not make the connection to the original question. It might be just me?
Old 24-01-2015, 14:48   #44

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I was referring to the remote windless switches, I could not make the connection to the original question. It might be just me?
If this is a serious question, the subject came up in reference to the act of moving chain from the forward chain locker to some other place on board. Being able to use the windlass remotely to hoist chain from the locker on to the deck will allow one person to then drag it into some storage place further aft without constant running back and forth.

If you were only trying to stir things up, well, carry on...

Jim
Old 24-01-2015, 15:04   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
If this is a serious question, the subject came up in reference to the act of moving chain from the forward chain locker to some other place on board. Being able to use the windlass remotely to hoist chain from the locker on to the deck will allow one person to then drag it into some storage place further aft without constant running back and forth.

If you were only trying to stir things up, well, carry on...

Jim
Not at all trying to stir things up. I just didn't see the point of connecting the two. Now I can see it but see it as not practical nor a good idea.
That is just me.

Tags
anchor