Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2021, 11:06   #31

Re: Do you leave your bimini and dodger up in port?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
When you are in the Caribbean your dodger and bimini are up whenever you are aboard. Despite the tradewinds the sun is brutal and being in the cockpit without shade is close to torture while staying the shade of dodger and bimini makes it pleasurable.
I'll probably be getting checked for skin cancer of the rest of my life for not spending enough time underneath the bimini.
Old 14-09-2021, 03:02   #32

Boat: Jeanneau SO42 DS

I thought it might be useful to share this summary I wrote (for myself orginally) of the discussion regarding whether to leave biminis and dodgers/sprayhoods up or down when leaving the boat, whether for a short time or for several months.

Of course the decision depends on many different factors. Things to bear in mind are:

1) how long you are leaving the boat for;
2) the local wind and weather conditions eg the Mistral in France, hurricanes in the Carribbean and elsewhere;
3) what do most other people in the local area do;
4) how quick and easy is it to take down the dodger, balanced against cost of potential damage;
5) the design and construction quality of the bimini and dodger and the supports, can they handle high winds or not;
6) UV degredation of the canvas and especially the windows in the dodger;
7) dodgers especially are expensive bits of kit, consider using an older cover to protect the decking, instruments and hardware (make sure the cover is properly designed and secured to prevent windage, avoid chafing and taut enough to prevent rain pooling) or can fit a cover/covers over the windows;
8) consider having a cover made for the bimini when it is folded up;
9) always leave the boat prepared for the worst that might happen.

For what it's worth, 8 respondents said they kept their biminis and dodgers up all the time, while 13 took at least one of them down whenever they left the boat or when leaving the boat for long periods or when storms/hurricanes threatened.

SueM
Sue Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 10:03   #33

Boat: Ben 323 32+ft (10m)

Took Bimini canvas down for first time yesterday morning, due to threat of high wind from Nicholas. Will put it back up next week.
Fullbore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bimini, dodger