Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2010, 08:35   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
  • Give women money for girl crap like cosmetics, bling etc
Misread the last word as "biking."

Yeah, give that gal a Harley!

I figure, as long as everybody's alive, you have a chance of working it out.

Would be interesting, though, to see a list of realistic hoops to jump through as a reality-check before even beginning to dream.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:38   #92

My boat was originally purchased new in 1986 in the pacific northwest U.S. by an older couple who had the "dream" of sailing the Pacific. They paid good money for the boat and added some custom things like a radar arch etc... They started down the coast had a health issue (back problem I believe) and so their dream ended. Next owners had the boat a few years but, light winds in the area and lot's deadhead pieces of wood floating which made for bent props and shafts and the fun was over. Next owner bought the boat and had it shipped to the east coast . He had it one season and found out that wife and daughter got sea sick. He bought the boat in February 1995 and I bought it from him in October that same year and have not looked at another boat since. I've lived aboard it for six years while working in New York back in the mid ninties and spent most of my summers aboard too since I bought it. Cruised up to Canada and all along the local east coast waters over the years. My freelance work dried up this summer so I went sailing (one of the best summers of my life). Though I did have an Ephiphany of sorts while on board this year. The idea of heading south for the winter did not feel as strong as it had in the past years. My companion and I have always done a lot of winter sailing charters in places from the Bahamas to Belize so we have had a taste of the experience of those areas over the years. So I was sipping a beer in the cockpit one day thinking do I really want to spend five weeks motoring down south or would I rather spend five hours on a plane and then get on a boat where someone will hand me a rum drink and fix any problems on board while I continue sipping it watching the sunset. Hmmm... We are heading to the Maldives next year for a two week sail charter. This summer I ran into a fellow who was working as a Captain on a privately owned 80 foot schooner who had sailed over the world on his own boat. In our conversation it turns out he had actually sailed to the Maldives on their own boat. I asked him how he liked it. He said they hated it. according to him there was nothing to do (no towns), provisioning was hard and so was finding water and fuel. They could not wait to leave the area. Meanwhile I'm thinking seems like we made the right choice in chartering a fully provisioned boat with crew and not have to have such worries. I'm thinking I'll probably have a more enjoyable experience and memories than he did.
Not sure if I am losing my wanderlust but, I've discovered that I am still enjoying the experience of cruising the local coastal waters which can be just as much fun and "adventurious" as anywhere else we have traveled. I may still head south some winter but, then again perhaps that "dream" is changing too. Either way I will follow it in whatever direction it takes me. But, I think the important thing is after 15 years I am still enjoying being on board my boat no matter where it is.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:52   #93
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegean adrift View Post
Misread the last word as "biking."

Yeah, give that gal a Harley!
That's appropriate. Harley being a girl's bike

Me is sticking to Triumph - well, if I ever get it finished
Old 06-11-2010, 11:02   #94
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Triumph - can't afford the oil needed at $87.90 per barrel
Old 07-11-2010, 18:51   #95

Good info

This has to be the best thread I have found so far. As one of those who has not sailed at all yet, I have wondered about those who tried and didn't like it, would I be one of those. So after a quick search I am now looking for info regarding a service called Sailtime. Have not read the entire brochure but appears to be buy a membership, prove you can sail and take out anthers boat and see if it is for you? Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?
Old 07-11-2010, 19:34   #96

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alansdream View Post
This has to be the best thread I have found so far. As one of those who has not sailed at all yet, I have wondered about those who tried and didn't like it, would I be one of those. So after a quick search I am now looking for info regarding a service called Sailtime. Have not read the entire brochure but appears to be buy a membership, prove you can sail and take out anthers boat and see if it is for you? Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?
It appears from Sailtimes website that they are timeshare system on a specific boat at a specific location. For a initiation fee and then a monthly fixed fee (depending upon the type/size of the one specific boat) you get 7 opportunities per month to use the boat.

There are also "co-op" sailing clubs around that have similar financial set-up but you get to use a wide variety of boats instead of just one. And the "co-ops" used to be networked so you could use boats in other locations around the country.

- - But first you need to take lessons, get certified and build time in boats. I would suggest going to a reputable main stream sailing school like ASA or US Sailing, etc. and then chartering so you can get a variation in both geographical location and model/type of boats. Then if you are planing to be "static" in one location which has a Sailtime base, then investigate the costs and desirability to your needs.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:22   #97
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alansdream View Post
Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?
Thoughts are you might get locked into something that you cant sell.

Have a look at Davi-O-J's sub forum. Its one cheaper way to get the full info on cruising
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - The $50 Dollar Cruising Club

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 08-11-2010, 11:36   #98

I dream to sail around the world at retirement. Retirement is still 18 years out.

My wife and I sat down and made up a long range plan to scope out how to prepare. We are currently in the phase of getting our certifications at a local ASA sailing school and enjoying it very much. Next year or the year after we hope to start chartering, locally in the Chesapeake first, then maybe the BVI's.

I've sailed small craft extensively (dinghies and beachcats), but nothing larger until the classes. I was in the US Navy for a few years and have crossed the Atlantic by ship 3 times (guided missile cruiser), and spent months in the Med and North Seas.

I tried a trailerable, but found I lost too much time setting up and taking down and sold it. I don't make enough money to buy a nice boat and keep it in a marina somewhere, and I need to keep working those 18 years so just going now is not an option. We have a boat fund as part of the plan and so far everything is on track.

I know to many of you, I'm an armchair dreamer, landlocked and stuck in the rat race. I know the odds are good I won't realize my dream as life's inevitable curveballs come up. I enjoy reading all of your experiences and points of view, but this thread has bothered me.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:54   #99
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmort View Post
I know the odds are good I won't realize my dream as life's inevitable curveballs come up. .
I can safely say you are far ahead of many people. You have a boat fund now.

If you put 10% of everything you and your wife earn in that boat fund - no matter what - then you will have more than enough when you hit that 18 year mark.

Life does send curve balls. But life can be planned and risks amelerated and curve balls hit back.

But you have to work for it. Just 10% its not much, but it must be every week / every pay pack

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 08-11-2010, 12:01   #100

Boat: CT54
Quote:
I enjoy reading all of your experiences and points of view, but this thread has bothered me.
I think it is good to remember that for every person/couple that quits there are many many more out there having a great time cruising.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:27   #101
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiepitts View Post
I think it is good to remember that for every person/couple that quits there are many many more out there having a great time cruising.
or maybe to remember that the people / couples out there having a great time cruising are just those who have not yet quit.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:29   #102
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
  • Know how to sail and if you will enjoy it before buying the boat.
Wise reflections, Mark.

We had neighbors who purchased a Pacific Seacraft 40, used, because they'd been told it was the only real bluewater boat made. Paid cash for it. Unfortunately, the boat had not previously been cruised, so they spent an entire year fitting it out with such things as a windlass, watermaker, SSB, et cetera. They worked their butts off getting the boat ready to go on the next year's Baja Haja, which was to be the first step of their circumnavigation.

The night prior to the scheduled departure, right around sunset, the owner asked me to come over and show him how to rig his A-chute. Yeah. He'd owned the boat a year, was about to leave on a 900nm downhill run, and did not know how to rig his own sail.

They got as far as La Paz, and then put out the word that they were looking for someone to sail the boat back to the bay area for them so that they could sell it and buy a house.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:55   #103

Boat: CT54
Wow ..... this is amazing.
I am speechless.
Old 08-11-2010, 13:45   #104

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
I dream to sail around the world at retirement. Retirement is still 18 years out. . .
I would agree with others that you are way ahead of others who wait until the last minute or head out on a lark or whim. To be a successful full time cruiser takes a lot of preparation, not only of the boat but more importantly the psychology of the potential cruisers.
- - The lifestyle is radically different from a "normal" land lifestyle. In many threads and random comments here and there you hear the themes of "total individual responsibility", "freedom to succeed or fail," and for a couple the most important "the desire and actual love of being with your mate 24/7/365 in a small confined vessel."
- - I would say a lot of new cruisers quit right away because they cannot deal with being responsible for themselves and their mates. And part of that responsibility is knowing how to operate a vessel safely and how to keep the vessel maintained in a safe condition.
- - Secondly, a major amount of the new cruisers quit after about a year (+ or -) because if they don't - they are going to kill each other. Being that close, literally climbing over and around your mate all day, every day is too much for a lot of people brought up as "separate" individuals. This is why when you see a real old time cruising couple it restores your faith that there really is such a thing as "enduring Love between a man and woman" out there. It just not in the movies.
- - Lastly, there are catastrophic events that cut the cruise short. Medical or family events, etc.
- - So in my experience I would say that maybe there are one in a hundred who survive the hurdles and are able to keep on cruising. Which is a lot better odds than the baby turtles we see hatching on the beaches during turtle watches. They are one in a thousand.
- - Use your 18 years to practice being two halves of a whole and really being totally intimate and comfortable with each other in every aspect of living. Also do as much vacation sailing/chartering as financially possible. Getting out there and having "experiences" and surviving them as a couple will go light years towards being successful long term cruisers when your time comes to sail off and not have to return (metaphorically).
Old 08-11-2010, 14:13   #105
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat
Quote:
- - Use your 18 years to practice being two halves of a whole and really being totally intimate and comfortable with each other in every aspect of living. Also do as much vacation sailing/chartering as financially possible. Getting out there and having "experiences" and surviving them as a couple will go light years towards being successful long term cruisers when your time comes to sail off and not have to return (metaphorically).
Best advice in the whole thread!

Charlie
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
Closed Thread