Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Do you have some kind of sailing certification?
Yes, I have a certification. 146 70.87%
No, I have no certification. 60 29.13%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2019, 06:40   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Do You Have a Sailing/Boating Certificate or License?

I'm hoping everyone who lives in the USA or wants to travel to the USA to sail or isn't off cruising the world on their own boat can answer this poll.

Do you have an ASA Certification? Yachtmaster, USCG or other license? Do you have a certification with Moorings or other charter company?

I'm curious how many people have these vs don't have them.

Thanks!
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2019, 07:15   #2

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Re: Do You Have a Sailing/Boating Certificate or License?

I have a motor boat licence, Purely because my sail boat has a motor and I require it by law,
It was a 2 day course that included a MOB recovery out in the Port Phillip Bay from a motor boat,
But I do have 55 years of motor boat experience,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2019, 07:20   #3

I'm curious myself - is there a specific reason for asking this?

in Canada, operation of a motorized boat requires holding a PCOC (Pleasure Craft Operating Card). It's a one-time thing, but it means that Canadian boaters have to know the basic rules at least once in their lives. So I have that, of course.

Although I'm mostly self-taught, I have also pursued some formal training. My wife and I took CYA Basic Keelboat (separately) to get some basics and to help form some good habits. I've gone on to do Coastal Navigation, Marine VHF with DSC, and a few other seminars and clinics.

This level of formal training, plus our experience, was sufficient to qualify us for bareboat chartering this year in the BVI. And we had a blast

It's my opinion that everyone benefits from at least some formal training, to put all boaters on the same page re safety and rules. For me it's also part of the hobby to gain a better understanding of everything to do with boating.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2019, 07:54   #4

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I'm hoping everyone who lives in the USA or wants to travel to the USA to sail or isn't off cruising the world on their own boat can answer this poll.

Do you have an ASA Certification? Yachtmaster, USCG or other license? Do you have a certification with Moorings or other charter company?

I'm curious how many people have these vs don't have them.

Thanks!
Finished almost all the ASA courses several years back - no multihull courses though
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2019, 08:27   #5

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself

Most countries in EU require personal marine driving license, radio license, yacht registration AND VAT-PAID-Certificate. Driving license may obtained be locally, but then it is mostly only valid in that country. Best choice, obtain it in your home country, then it is valid worldwide. So guess, I have all but the VAT, at present in Far East no need.

Forgot, Italy is very crazy about your liability insurance and was the only country worldwide, complainig (Coast Guard) that there was tooooo big the distance between our dinghy and yacht!!!! It was maybe a mile????? At least they did not let us pay! Needless to say, Italy was the only country where they asked for ALL papers (Monfalcone/Trieste Coast Guard)
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2019, 08:39   #6

Boat: Custom Brewer Miami 45 45' - Quetzalcoatl

I never saw a need to have a boating license. In the USA where I hail from no license is required. I'm now in the Med and some countries are insisting on the master of an incoming vessel have a license or certificate showing competence. I did have a 100 ton near coastal masters certificate issued by the USCG, but I let it expire when I retired and went cruising. Clearing into Turkey I was asked for a drivers' license. In Greece nothing was asked for. In Albania, nothing was asked for, but in Montenegro the operator must have something. I carry the last issue of my expired masters certificate and offered that and it passed muster. They are very strict in Montenegro. If you sail in with nothing, you will have to hire a qualified person to move your boat off the Customs wharf. Don't go there with out something showing qualifications. I'm in Croatia now and they asked for a license. If one is planning on going cruising, getting a certificate will probably prove beneficial. More countries will probably jump on the wagon and up their requirements. The same thing is happening with AIS transponders. You might as well get one now if you are going to foreign lands.
Donald Bryden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2019, 08:40   #7

Boat: Catalina 30

I took the ASA basic keelboat, but did not pursue testing. I do have a certificate from my insurance company for taking their online course. Our state (Georgia, USA) does not require a licence for adults. (I wish they did, so many people demonstrate a decided lack of knowledge about how to handle a boat....)
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2019, 08:48   #8

Boat: Selene 43 Ocean Trawler

Yes, USCG-OUPV; CA Boater card; USPS JN (and PADI Master Diver w/nitrox, for the lines on the prop and recalcitrant anchors!).

I don't use any of my certifications for income or professionally, just for the education and to be a better boater. I plan to upgrade my OUPV now that I have the hours. ATBster
ATBster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2019, 08:53   #9

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

I live in the U.S. I have a rating given by my club to take out their boats. It means nothing to anyone else in the world. I also have a Boater Education card.

Most states now require a Boater Education card to operate a boat that has a motor above a certain minimum horsepower (15 hp in WA). Many states allow you to use the free online quiz offered by BoatUS. It was about 75 questions, with many of the questions about jetskiis. There is no other certification requirement in the U.S. for recreational boating.

https://www.boatus.org/free/

I have no certifications from charter companies that I'm aware of. I've chartered 3 times in the Caribbean, and once in Greece and have only sent them resumes.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2019, 08:58   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Bryden View Post
I never saw a need to have a boating license. In the USA where I hail from no license is required. I'm now in the Med and some countries are insisting on the master of an incoming vessel have a license or certificate showing competence. I did have a 100 ton near coastal masters certificate issued by the USCG, but I let it expire when I retired and went cruising.
The USCG is pretty good about allowing re-instatement of your expired license. They will honor the past sea time and only require a medical and that you re-take the test.
StoneCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2019, 09:08   #11

Boat: 1978 Hunter H30C

Through the US Power Squadron I received a certification card as a safe boater which also provided a New York State “Safe Boater” icon to be placed on my drivers license. Also taking the NauticEd bare boat skipper courses online. I’m about 50% complete on the courses and with my boat ownership and sailing logs in the last 4 years on Cayuga Lake, have been awarded a “probably” status by NauticEd for renting the monohull’s out of Roadtown, BVI and Marsh Harbor, Abaco’s. I just hope the Bahamas survive Dorian. Good stuff learned with them. I also have 4 x 10 day vacation years participating as crew in the BVI pre-Irma/Marie. It’s gonna be awesome being BBCM.
BlowMeAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2019, 09:11   #12

Boat: Island Packet 420

USCG 100 Ton Master's with Sailing and Towing Endorsements
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2019, 09:14   #13

Boat: Island Packet 420

I am also sailing in the Med. In many towns, you can take a one day "ride/test" and get a certificate that is good throughout Europe. I know someone who did that in Monte Negro, where you have to have a certificate to enter their waters. My USCG license was just fine. Another sailor had to have the marina manager pilot his boat in because he didn't have any certificate, but the marina offered him up a one day certification class/test. Just took a few bucks.
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2019, 09:30   #14

Boat: Dream 45'

In Brazil it is required by law. Basically 3 levels: protected waters, coastal and offshore licenses. A radio operator license is also required.
iabmatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2019, 09:35   #15

Boat: 40' Maine Cat

No license or certification of any kind. I am on my third cruising boat with 25 years of coastal and ocean sailing. I took a little different approach when I started sailing at 37 yrs old. Read everything I could get my hands on for a couple of years (including Chapmans cover to cover) before I left the mountains, bought a small double ender and took it around the world. Properly educating myself kept me alive but no certificates.
jdaltonpe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, boating, license, sail, sailing