Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 06:35   #16

Boat: Hans Christian 33
We are living the dream, but we still have goals. Our goal this spring is to sail to the Bahamas and stay there for a few months and/or head up the east coast of the US. Our long term goal is to cruise around the world.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:39   #17

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top
One person's dream is another person's goal, just as one person's goal, may just be a dream.
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:53   #18
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
i still see a dream as something not tangible or real .. an image of something maybe not obtainable. dreamers are folks that have the luxury of dreaming .. not everybody has the option. if a dream is an idea then we can assign a goal to that and take steps to get there as unpleasant as that may be .. or we can just decide that the goal is impossible to do and move on to something that is.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:56   #19

Boat: Hans Christian 33
I always thought that dreams are impossible only to those that don't have the conviction to achieve them.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:25   #20

Happy talk, keep talkin' happy talk,
Talk about things you'd like to do.
You got to have a dream,
If you don't have a dream,
How you gonna have a dream come true?

The immortal words of Oscar Hammerstein....
annk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:34   #21

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
We're leaving Fort Lauderdale today with a goal of picking up some family members in Islamorada in two weeks. That's 90 miles, so we'll have to average 6.5 miles per day. We'll need to pace ourselves with some snorkeling east of Featherbed Bank in Biscayne Bay, a stop at the Caribbean Club in Blackwaterr Sound and some days languishing in Sunset Cove on the bay side of Key Largo. No dreaming here! We're sticking to the task.
I don't know, man. 6.5 miles a day. Don't push it too hard.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:42   #22
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
We're sticking to the task.
Before you acheive Dreams, you need to reach Goals. and to reach goals requires completing Tasks. But at the beginning their has to be Dreams - otherwise no point getting out of bed as whatever Tasks and Goals you may acheive simply have no purpose.

Everyone needs Dreams. I think it's what defines us as human - and IMO over even speech, opposable thumbs and KFC , because intrinsically linked to the human need to see what is over "that" hill. and quite often to stand on top of it To strive, to acheive & to make tommorow better requires dreams because otherwise the thought would never occur to climb that hill.

As someone who has struggled with a lack of Dreams over the last few years (and IME directly linked to the (not worth) getting out of bed thing, mostly only metaphorically ) it's taken me a while to appreciate not only the importance of having any Dream(s) in the grand scheme of things (or the small DOJ end at least ) - but that it's Ok to acquire new Dreams, give old Dreams away or otherwise do WTF you want with 'em (except take someone elses away - IMO that should be a capital offence ).

Not acheiving Dreams is not failure as the important end was having had them in the first place, even if the conclusion was to give them back to those now long gone................The only people who acheive all their Dreams are those who clearly have only Limited imaginations Gotta remember that the first man stood on the Moon was not the first with the idea. or the first to wonder: "what's over that hill?".

In my case my present Dream is at the early stages (i.e. still plenty of tasks to undertake and no goals acheived - but Dream firmly in place )..........is to build a Pyramid bigger than anything the Pharaohs did and to last longer ...........and to make money doing so That last one is unsurprisingly where the work is focused I figure if Shah Jahan could build the Taj Mahal for his late Missus, then DOJ can do much the same - I think she'd like that. and call me a f#cking idiot (our catchphrase - well, hers ).

I reckon you folks will hear about it when I get The Pyramid "off the ground" ...........anyway, as part of today's tasks I am now off to do some grocery shopping - in Iceland - I too iz Livin' da dream
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:47   #23

Boat: a sailing boat
But we can also have both. Can't we.

Many a great adventure started with a dream. A goal will prop up later perhaps - when we start casting the dream into a plan.

True, I met many people who go by their goals and many of them are very good at both setting them (attainable goals, rings the bell) and attaining them (what the heck, since they are supposed to be attainable) ...

But it will be the dreamer that will transfer the spark of adventure to the future generations.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:50   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
But it will be the dreamer that will transfer the spark of adventure to the future generations.
Yes, that would be my father. He dreamed about cruising. Had the boat and the romantic books. Never had the opportunity...or something. I picked it up early in life from him. Took his dream and his boat from there. Never read the romantic books though.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:59   #25

And so even though we face the difficulties of rot and corrosion, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the yachting dream.

I have a dream that one day this yacht will leave the yard and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all seas are to be cruised.

I have a dream that one day on the warm tropical sea, the sailors of new yachts and the sailors of old will be able to sit down together at the Bora Bora Yacht Club.

I have a dream that one day even the Westsail, a yacht suffering in the heat of injustice, suffering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an yacht of performance and comfort.

It was something like that. And I truly apologize in advance.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:17   #26

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
I have a dream of saving enough money to quit my job and have enough to pay my bills the rest of my life. Halfway there, I've already picked out the boat.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:20   #27
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReMetau View Post
I always thought that dreams are impossible only to those that don't have the conviction to achieve them.
Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp,
or what's a heaven for?

Robert Browning

......or what's a metaphor...
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:37   #28

Boat: Morgan Classic 41
All of us are somewhere on the path of dreaming to goals. We may be just starting the dream, or finally realizing and living the goal. But none of us can get from dream to goal without a key element I have yet to hear: PLAN. We conceive the dream, implement the plan, and that yields the goal. Plans are flexible; can change as our needs, wants and dreams change; all to effect the goal and how or when it is achieved. But the dream is the catalyst that will keep us moving forward to complete enough steps of the plan to reach our goals.
mjwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:37   #29

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top
Differentiate between your dreams and fantasies.
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:39   #30

Dreaming

I had the dream before I could remember it in the waking world. I always loved boats, being around them, reading about them, etc... When I was older I went to St. Mary's College in MD and learned to sail. Later I joined the Navy and steamed across oceans.

I went on to start to build my life on land and lay down roots, but I can still hear the call. I was dragging my kids to boat shows every year getting frustrated I wasn't where I wanted to be, but responsibilities and realities keep me from the water.

Then I read a book about visualization and obtaining goals. I wrote out exactly where I want to get to, and then worked out a plan for how to get there. Its a long plan, it'll take a long time for it to become reality. But I have a timetable and intermittent goals along the way, and now things that didn't seem to be moving me towards my dreams before (like paying the mortgage instead of a boat payment) take on a new light (going to pay that sucker off in another 12 years and sell it to buy the boat once the kids are out).

The goals wouldn't make sense without the dream. Its the point, why I set the goals, and why it means real progress when I obtain them. I am climbing out of debt, building savings and equity, getting my sailing certifications and planning some charters; nothing particularly awe inspiring in themselves, but as a part of a life long plan it becomes so.

Until then I pacify myself by reading all of your adventures, thanks for sharing.