Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2021, 04:56   #1
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Do You Count

Do you count the number of days you sail, the miles, days at anchor etc.? I read lots of post with "I did "X" number of ........".

I don't count. Yes I write down engine hours and dates etc in the maintenance log. I have a sail log with dates and where we went etc but no miles in it. I could if pressed go through that log for underway days, but I don't have a running total. Counting etc just doesn't matter to me to know.
Old 09-01-2021, 05:03   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Do You Count

I use an adjoining pages log - the left side is the deck log, with locations and times and the like, while the right side is the engineering log, with engine hours, maintenance, and squawks. Yes, days are separated, and I did note days with 8 hours underway until I realized that I'd be non compus mentis before I reached enough to qualify for a license.
Old 09-01-2021, 06:05   #3

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Our chart plotter logs our miles, so I don’t actively think about it for a record keeping need. As to the number of days under sail or motor, that gets recorded in our blog.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 06:38   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Do You Count

Never.. I look at where I am headed for and the minimum possible safe distance and set off knowing full well the distance travelled will invariably be greater than that due to winds, tides and currents.. keeping a record is pointless to my mind as no one's going to read it including me..
If I do the same trip again my memory serves well enough for any important stuff but milage is not one of them.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 06:52   #5

We use a spreadsheet. While it's main intent is for planning the future, once populated, it has all the historical info in it and not hard to query it for various info if we are curious.

We use the historical aspect most often when we are trying to remember when we were somewhere.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 07:31   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

I second boatman61. For the last 30 years the only record I keep is the hours/date of the last maintenance on the engine so I know when it is due for the next maintenance. No logs....no trip millage...no sail v motor. I am never going to get any commercial license nor use the boat as a business.

Abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 07:36   #7

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

My chartplotter logs distance and time spent moving. I don't necessarily pay attention for the season overall, but I do on trips. And I keep track of the engine hour meters. As far as accounting for days away from home, I know how long our trips are and beyond that, it's just down to how well I remember when we stayed out overnight.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 07:58   #8

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

I keep track of miles and hours sailed. This is because these totals are important to our national maritime authorities to gain and maintain various qualifications here in New Zealand. It's form filling for the sake of form filling so the officialdom at such establishments achieve something in their day I guess.

As an aside said bumbledoms have a rule that hours per day can't exceed 8 (and yet the miles still count). Said officials don't seem to understand or accept sailing single handed.
Old 09-01-2021, 08:16   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I used to keep a written log....after filling several....I stopped...the engine has it's own hour meter, so no need to record run time......I typically change oil every 100 hours...so when the hour meter arrives at the next hundred mark...I know it's time, not only to change oil, but also for regular maintenance....works fine.

The chart plotter records everything else, but it can get so cluttered up with " tracks" I clear the system every once in a while.

In the good old days, a log book recorded much of everything, now it's all video...video's are stored on a computer, which, I guess, is a log book of sorts...video's can also be emailed to people to see what you've been up too...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:27   #10

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

I burned out on keeping a logbook back in my flying days.

Other than engine maintenance, I log nothing.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:30   #11

Boat: Tartan 3800

I keep a log because it's fun to look back on and, occasionally useful for remembering when we did something or who we had with us.

Besides, the day may come where I need to document sea time for a license.
Old 09-01-2021, 09:59   #12

I don't count the days on the boat, I count the days until I can get back onto the boat.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 10:14   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Charter companies want my sailing resume as evidence of experience, so I keep track for the sake of that.
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 10:20   #14

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Almost all of my logging is in electronic form and stored in the cloud.

For those pursuing/retaining licenses documented time underway is important (although I think a lot of people lie). In the US it is also important to document offshore vs. coastal/inland time underway (all USCG 6 pac licenses are not equal).

In most cases, recording distance may be for self-gratification. But, it's also used by some to weed through prospective crew (assuming that person not fabricating numbers and is willing to provide references), and it could also be beneficial when submitting boat resumes to some insurance companies (esp. if you are planning an offshore voyage) to document some level of experience (and be able to back it up if asked for proof), and some charter companies like to see this also.

Like MicHughV I gave up on paper logs long ago. I find them to be nothing more than a collection of mostly obsolete and useless data scribbled on parchment that takes up space and collects dust.

But, for long multi-day passages I let Iridium Go and PredictWind to the tracking and I reset the chart plotter distance traveled every 24 hours and I log (electronically) the distance and journal notes. This helps me better understand average distance/day for that voyage and more accurately predict a time of arrival at port (some ports require a 48 hour notice prior to arrival). For me the most important part of the logging is the daily journal/blog entries posted on PredictWind for family and friends to vicariously enjoy.

For daysails I use the customizable MobiDB database app (saves to cloud when connected to internet, syncs to all devices, and is useable when not connected to internet). I created 1 table (log book) to simply record date, time underway, distance, engine hours, and a journal entry (guests, events, anchoring spots, random thoughts, etc.). This is mostly for personal gratification.

I have other tables in the database for maintenance logging, another for expenses, etc. This provides an easily transferable, searchable record of items that may provide benefit should the boat ever transfer to a new owner.
Old 09-01-2021, 10:37   #15

Boat: Cape Dory 31

When I travel any distance greater than 20 NM I keep a log both for my own interest and because it is a contemporaneous document which can be very helpful should any unfortunate incident occur. When I’m making a run offshore I keep a very detailed log and update my position at least four time daily on my passage chart. It is especially helpful when crossing the Gulf Stream since eddies run contrary to the expected flow.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote