Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2017, 17:53   #76

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: Do most boaters not KNOW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Miller View Post
Another newbie question.

So, my question, does boat insurance really cover a boat for a hurricane?

It depends on the policy and your location. There is no one answer. The amount you pay depends on the risk the insurer takes on. For full on insurance for all events and acts of God in the hurricane zones the rates are very high and not a lot of boaters want to pay that.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 19:04   #77

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Herb,

Best to read the policy. Many do not. Different companies do different things.

Ann
Old 08-09-2017, 20:11   #78

Boat: Tartan 3000

ECMWF (hurricane track predictor with best long term record) is predicting IRMA will make a direct hit on our marina (east shoreline of Charlotte Harbor) with 120 knot winds Monday morning.

--------------------
Not likely
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 20:55   #79

The absolute worst danger for the prudent sailor in hurricane is the other boats & debris from the imprudent sailors.
Old 08-09-2017, 21:31   #80

Boat: 1975 hunter 30

I was in Mobile ,dog river marina for Katrina,that's about 100miles from land fall of the eye of storm the standing water during storm was 13feet above o tide.The surge was higher.It took out the two fuel tanks (one had about 5500 gal of diesel,the other had 2500 gas) found large tank 2miles away the other was 1mile away.The Marina had 1boat that stayed that was not damaged.The sail boats next store all broke loose from the maina and did hit the boats in our Marina( lack of preparations. )We tied down everything.Storm surge will destroy the best laid plains.My boat was tied between two docks 35feet wide with 13 over sized lines.It survived,but the debris was wedged around and under it so bad I still had to paint it.The lines were run to the top of the pilens in every direction.You should leave and go north then west ,believe me it better not to stay for on for materiel things they are replaceable.This would be my10 or more hurricane,I always leave.I have only had one boat sink.I am a captain and live aboard.Hope this helps.Ps boat is 30feet.
captrick2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 00:10   #81

Perhaps consider fastening lines across the entrance to your berth at varying heights to fend off those other boats when they break loose. Best of luck to you from new zealand.
Zs2mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:45   #82

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Only 1-2 hours to find a deep river, move the boat many miles inland, secure it and find a safe spot for yourself on land? That's very fast.
That absurdly fast unless you are thinking high speed motorboat. No way you can do that near me. Even with a well thought out hidey hole you will always have the issue of crowding. So if you run to your planned hide out there is a pretty good chance that others will run there as well. Frequently it only takes one to break loose to damage many. My philosophy is generally stay in the sheltered marina with extra lines to handle reasonable storm surge, get out of town and hope for the best. Of course, I do not consider insurance optional.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat