Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2018, 05:34   #16

Boat: '79 Albin Vega, '88 Catalina 22
Re: Do I "need" all-chain rode in the eastern Caribbean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailnautilus View Post
Boatman61 has the technique down correctly!!! Hope the OP pays attention to this previous post....!

Yes indeed, I'm paying particular attention! Because the Albin Vega's prop is located above and abaft the rudder, no steerage is possible without forward motion. A LOT of forward motion, when you're into the wind and it's trying to push your bow off.

So, sailing up to the anchor rather than motoring up to it (at speed!) would be wonderful.

Does one keep the boom sheeted in the center during this maneuver?
Gene Neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:06   #17

Boat: Boatless

[QUOTE=dixiedawg;2666500]WOW - we have a 100% consensus!

A part of me was hoping for a different answer, but I'm glad to have such a definitive and unanimous opinion. That rarely happens!

Ok, I’ll be the first dissenting opinion :-)

You do not “need” all chain in the Eastern Caribbean. We did it just fine on our Hughes Northstar 40 with 20’ of chain then rode with no windlass.

I was much younger then :-) That being said our current 40’ mono is chain to rode as well with no windlass. Not a problem at all, love the feel on the hands as well over chain. In addition when hauling anchor short handed easy to throw a wrap on the cleat and you know it will stay put.

To avoid coral abrasion et all do not anchor over coral. You shouldn’t do that in the first place. Most, if not all, of the anchorages you will encounter from Florida to Trinidad are in 12’ or less with a sand to mud bottom.

If the cost of chain and weight considerations (all that weight in the bow is not desirable) are a concern do nothing and stick with what you have is my two cents.

As to your question about chain to hull I use a simple square knot (short piece of line) and hang a knife next to it. In addition I keep a small fender in that locker with a short line and a clip that I can snap onto the rode quickly if I have to leave the anchor behind in a hurry.

Have never had to do that ;-)

All the best and keep it simple!
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:50   #18

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50 (aka 49)

I’m joining in AKPRB’s dissent. But I’ll also admit that “all chain” is just much easier over all if you have to worry about chafe.

So first, as already mentioned, don’t knowingly anchor over coral! It must be preserved at all cost.

Secondly, there is a technique to keep your nylon rode virtually free of chafe. It’s the “inverse kellet.” Instead of adding weight to the rode (a kellet) —a technique which I don’t recommend at all btw— you add a small buoy. This lifts your nylon rode from the bottom. Nylon is only about 10% heavier than water so you can lift a lot with very little buoyancy. When the wind picks up your buoy is submerged and the nylon rode is stretched, and is therefore still away from the bottom. You must have enough chain lead of course. 30’ might do it but I’d go with a little more.

If you buy new chain 1/4 should be easy enough to lift by hand without additional mechanical help such as a ratchet, assuming you’re a reasonably fit and well built male, even in strong winds. But don’t get windlass calibrated chain, instead get some with elongated shackles through which you can easily splice your nylon rode, which you need to have at the end anyway regardless of the length of chain you end up buying. It’s nice to have 300’ or more rode overall if you consider going further afield. Plus the longer shackles keep the weight down as well.

So there you have it. Minimize your chain if weight or budget are an issue and use the “reverse kellet” to preserve the nylon part, or else go “all chain” (plus additional nylon for those exceptionally deep anchorages) if you can spend the money and can accomodate the space and weight of the rode. My 2 cents.
2big2small is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 22:03   #19
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

No, you don't "NEED" all chain.

We usually anchor in about 12 ft of water, over sand, mud, or clay.

Our rode is 75' of 5/16" chain coupled to 150 ft of 5/8" triple strand, on a Lofrans Project 1000 windlass.

When anchoring, I just pay out all of the chain and then about 10 ft of nylon, cleat it off, and kick back a cold one. No need for chain stopper, bridle, or snubber.

In a blow, I pay out a bunch more nylon.

Always wake up where we went to sleep.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, eastern caribbean, rib, rode