Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2016, 05:08   #31

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop
Re: do I need a Marine Documentation Agent?

No, no, no! Buying a boat is less complicated then buying a house. It's more like buying a car. The paperwork is not complicated. In a title state like Florida liens are not an issue so title insurance is unnecessary. If a couple of hours of your time is worth the $700 then hire these guys but their services are not necessary.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 05:43   #32

Boat: 72 Coronado 35 Ketch

The documentation process is almost as simple as transferring a car title.
If it's costing you more than a few convenience dollars, tell them to take a hike and do it yourself.
1HappySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 09:16   #33

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundWave View Post
Thank you for sharing your recommendations and experiences, good info.

Yep, I can do the USCG paperwork no problem, it's not hard.

Brooderman raised the deciding point, the more important goal is investigating and trying to ensure a clean title.

We're going to hire the Marine Documentation Agent, let them handle everything paperwork, for peace of mind and also convenience.

Appreciate all the help!
I think that may be a smart move. Does the agent do a lien check and guarantee a clean title and have insurance? I don't believe the documentation in itself is a guarantee of a clean title.

May well be a $ well spent.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 09:43   #34

Boat: Catalina 400

Well, all's well that ends well.

Turns out the registration was in limbo.
Seller is Russian Citizen living in Toronto CA, and when he bought the boat it was CG documented. You can't have documentation unless you're US citizen, so he had applied to transfer boat to Canada registration, and the paperwork had not yet been completed.

This problem was with the registration, not the title. Now, I know that with Affadavits, etc, I could have straightened this out myself. No telling how long it would take me.

Documentation Agent made this easy, smooth and with the added service of a title thoroughly researched we have a peace of mind closing this transaction.

In my particular case, the answer was "Yes", the Marine Documentation Agent was worth the money.

Thanks for all your input!
SoundWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 10:30   #35

Boat: Liberty 458

Our marine documentation expert found a lien during our purchase. The lien was expired but a bank acquired by a bank acquired by another bank 15 years ago failed to update its records.

We would never have found this until after money had changed hands. We were able to put funds in escrow which put the onus of correcting the issue on the seller.

The documentation service was not expensive and well worth the cost IMHO. We were Australians purchasing a USCG documented vessel.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 10:32   #36
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundWave View Post
Well, all's well that ends well.

Turns out the registration was in limbo.
Seller is Russian Citizen living in Toronto CA, and when he bought the boat it was CG documented. You can't have documentation unless you're US citizen, so he had applied to transfer boat to Canada registration, and the paperwork had not yet been completed.

This problem was with the registration, not the title. Now, I know that with Affadavits, etc, I could have straightened this out myself. No telling how long it would take me.

Documentation Agent made this easy, smooth and with the added service of a title thoroughly researched we have a peace of mind closing this transaction.

In my particular case, the answer was "Yes", the Marine Documentation Agent was worth the money.

Thanks for all your input!
Happy you got it sorted out. Are you still in Florida? I saw your other thread on another forum.....just curious.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
documentation, marine, men