Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2020, 08:49   #46

Re: DIY clean hull without diving

Many Racers use a brush all the time. In some areas that green grass grows in a week. You just can't have your bottom cleaned by a diver every week. It only extends 2, maybe up to 3 feet down on occasion, so brushing your keel isn't necessary.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:59   #47
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
It only extends 2, maybe up to 3 feet down on occasion, so brushing your keel isn't necessary.

Etc., etc., etc.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:13   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post

Etc., etc., etc.
Look, we all know you have a dog in this hunt. Obviously that's not 1 week of grass growth. Learn to read. "In some areas that green grass grows in a week. "

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:19   #49
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If you meant that you don't need to brush your keel weekly, maybe you should have said, "You don't need to brush your keel weekly." What you essentially said was, "The grass doesn't ever grow very deep, so you don't need to brush your keel."
Old 04-06-2020, 09:27   #50

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
If you meant that you don't need to brush your keel weekly, maybe you should have said, "You don't need to brush your keel weekly." What you essentially said was, "The grass doesn't ever grow very deep, so you don't need to brush your keel."
No, not what was said, and could only be interpreted as such if you're looking for an excuse to be combative. Nowhere in this thread has anyone suggested that brushing from dock or dinghy is a substitute for a proper cleaning by a diver or haul-out, only that it can help in-btwn such events. Rest assured your job is safe.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:38   #51
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Nowhere in this thread has anyone suggested that brushing from dock or dinghy is a substitute for a proper cleaning by a diver or haul-out, only that it can help in-btwn such events.
Umm... pretty much the entire thread has been about ways to clean the bottom without having to get into the water. No mention of "Oh, I just need to do it because my diver isn't due until next week." It was even suggested that this could be a way to forego the use of anti fouling paint.

Quote:
Rest assured your job is safe.
If you think I'm in here advocating for best practices because I'm afraid that somebody with a PVC pole and a ScotchBrite pad is going to affect my livelihood, you are sadly mistaken. Not that I need you to tell me anything about my job.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:54   #52

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
No, not what was said, and could only be interpreted as such if you're looking for an excuse to be combative. Nowhere in this thread has anyone suggested that brushing from dock or dinghy is a substitute for a proper cleaning by a diver or haul-out, only that it can help in-btwn such events. Rest assured your job is safe.

I don't think fstbttms is being combative. He is speaking as an expert to the less experienced and probably becoming a little frustrated at the ignorance of same presented as gospel. I have dived on my own boat after less than 3 weeks in a slip in Maryland and was amazed at the barnacle growth. Easy to knock off at that stage but not accessible by whatever Rube Goldberg brush apparatus some one might deploy from the deck.

Yes you can do some good cleaning the water line and somewhat below from a dinghy. But it won't be comprehensive, thorough or good maintenance procedures if that's all you do.

Cleaning the hull is part of boat ownership. You can learn to dive and clean it properly yourself. You can hire someone to do it for you. Or You can do it in air by haul out, running aground or any of the tide assisted methods outlined previously. A brush tied to some sort of wanky pole is akin to using interior acrylic latex as your bottom paint.
Nani Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:58   #53
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nani Kai View Post
I don't think fstbttms is being combative. He is speaking as an expert to the less experienced and probably becoming a little frustrated at the ignorance of same presented as gospel.

Old 04-06-2020, 10:08   #54

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Being a hard chine hull, with a deep "V" shape, a brush lashed to a strait pole works for me. A round bottom hull might need a curved pole.

Here is a short video:
https://youtu.be/HgVDIlS1510

I'm with you. I've been doing this for 10 years. A couple of differences in my methodology on a 30' round bilged fg keel boat:

The first times you do this paint will come off...so at least wait wait 'til it's already losing effect. We're making enough mess as it is. perhaps consider a first dry scrape on the beach over tarp and dispose of "properly".

Calm day use sunglasses if the water is fairly clear-helps uw visibility from above as does no ripples from wind..polarized lenses probably help.

NO curved pole
use a12x12 piece of plywood this gets up under the curve...(no damage to hull)

Get the barnacles when they are tiny-usually end of april-early May in our waters- then every 10-14 days and even extra before sailing it's about water temperature apparently, But big ones come off too,if you miss a patch. Plywood gets dull so you can resaw it or make a plastic blade to screw on.

One one side of the plywood, make a "keel diverter" (about 45 degrees wood or metal strap) when you are trying to get at keel bottom or it'll catch other side of keel- a pain. MARK the pole so you know which side of the plywood you are using

LONG pole adds weight and thereby leverage upward. A floating wood pole also helps bear on the upside down surfaces.

sliding along the jibsheet is easier than tying to boat parts. Takes practise to get right distance off and to control dinghy motion (scraping at the dock is better but...see below.

do 1-2 foot at a time. top to keel to maintain a right angle push/pole to control dinghy motion

obviously BETTER than dinghy is at a dock. Heel boat overfrom other float. This depends on how many people get in your way...

a quick heel on the beach works too but takes two tides on a keel boat and is not a spontaneous event like a calm day when sailing's not going to happen...might as well paint the boat while you're at it on the beach.

Brushes? meh. Maybe a scotchbrite pad on one edge of the plywood.

OPTION: a cheapie "action camera" with waterproof housing can be interesting. TEST the waterproff case at full depth of the pole BEFORE you risk the camera in it.

COMMENT:A bit of slime or grass or even some barnacle-base leftovers are not going to affect the boat much in stronger winds. Granted light wind performance suffers.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 05:46   #55

Boat: Don’t own a boat at this time yet.

And this again has become the “look at me, I’m cheap and easy, I do this job kinda meh but I’m proud” VS the professional advise with well articulate demonstrations that a job well done requires skills and knowledge (and hence cost) such as fstbttms and Nani Kai.
Geez, if you cannot even afford to clean your bottom, maybe you cannot afford a boat? Just saying....
DanCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 06:29   #56

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanCan View Post
And this again has become the “look at me, I’m cheap and easy, I do this job kinda meh but I’m proud” VS the professional advise with well articulate demonstrations that a job well done requires skills and knowledge (and hence cost) such as fstbttms and Nani Kai.
Geez, if you cannot even afford to clean your bottom, maybe you cannot afford a boat? Just saying....

For not owning a boat, you certainly are well informed.

My interest is this. I'd love to have a well scrubbed bottom. But the marinas around here (Deale, MD) do not permit diving within the marina waters. Annapolis is about 20 miles north and there are several bottom divers there. I have contacted them to arrange to meet somewhere to have them dive on my boat. No deal. They all said arrangements like that are too difficult. My thinking is they have all the business they can handle with the boats in Annapolis and, likely, they have tried this before only to have the customer text a few minutes before the meeting time to say something happened and they won't be there.

So what can I do?

A short haul and power wash works, but that is not cheap (yes, I will say not cheap).

I use the Scrubbis, but I know it only gets the easy stuff near the waterline.

Snorkel and get a little more of the stuff off.

Buy a hookah system. Not cheap, but can be used for years. (If I use it safely as noted above.)

Hey, fstbttms, how much for you to fly yourself and your gear to Maryland to clean my boat? Probably more than I want to spend.....
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 06:36   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. D View Post
For not owning a boat, you certainly are well informed.

My interest is this. I'd love to have a well scrubbed bottom. But the marinas around here (Deale, MD) do not permit diving within the marina waters. Annapolis is about 20 miles north and there are several bottom divers there. I have contacted them to arrange to meet somewhere to have them dive on my boat. No deal. They all said arrangements like that are too difficult. My thinking is they have all the business they can handle with the boats in Annapolis and, likely, they have tried this before only to have the customer text a few minutes before the meeting time to say something happened and they won't be there.

So what can I do?

A short haul and power wash works, but that is not cheap (yes, I will say not cheap).

I use the Scrubbis, but I know it only gets the easy stuff near the waterline.

Snorkel and get a little more of the stuff off.

Buy a hookah system. Not cheap, but can be used for years. (If I use it safely as noted above.)

Hey, fstbttms, how much for you to fly yourself and your gear to Maryland to clean my boat? Probably more than I want to spend.....

Having the money to buy a boat is one thing. Having the money to also pay associated maintenance costs is another thing. Also, here in northern Canada, diving comes with another toll, water is very cold. I sailed in Nova Scotia where I could go into hypothermia just in few minutes if I jumped into the water. But at the end, the discussion here is not “geez I don’t have any diver close by” but rather “how cheap I can go with this task?” )
Old 05-06-2020, 06:44   #58

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanCan View Post

Regardless of my "cheapness" or inability to pay for it, in water hull scrubbing is forbidden in my marina.

Steve
Old 05-06-2020, 06:48   #59

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1

Truce!

But that is part of who I am. I decide something must be purchased (a thing or a service). I ponder the non-monetary worth of the something to the cost. If one something is cheaper than another something and yields the same benefit, then I go with the cheaper something.

You are right this thread is about the cheapest way to clean the bottom without diving. I wish there was a local diver I could hire to clean the bottom as that would get a far better job. But there isn't one.
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 06:55   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. D View Post
Truce!

But that is part of who I am. I decide something must be purchased (a thing or a service). I ponder the non-monetary worth of the something to the cost. If one something is cheaper than another something and yields the same benefit, then I go with the cheaper something.

You are right this thread is about the cheapest way to clean the bottom without diving. I wish there was a local diver I could hire to clean the bottom as that would get a far better job. But there isn't one.

“Same benefit”, I think this is what is discussed here. I have no doubt some folks can do a great job cleaning their own boat bottom (but you have to go into the water). To those, kudos to you. But this thread is about doing that job from outside of the water with a long brush and expecting “same benefits”, hence my comment above.

Tags
diving, DIY, hull