Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2021, 11:58   #1

Boat: Salona 44
Dinghy help.

I have done my fair share of dinghy research. I ultimately decided an F-RIB fits my needs, specifically an F-RIB 330. Unfortunately, these boats just aren’t available for purchase. I currently own a 9.8 ft shark (inflatable sport boat brand). It’s just a little smaller than I need and takes up too much room on the foredeck where the boat will be stored. It’s not particularly friendly to deflate and store, so I keep it inflated. I would like something in the 11-12 ft range that is also fairly small once deflated and fairly easy/fast to reassemble. I’ve considered some of the folding transom boats which are new to me and I don’t know the range of options. The search is still wide open. I am hoping to get a few good suggestions for the size and other criteria I mentioned above. Doesn’t have to be hypalon, prefer rigid bottom.

Thanks in advance,

Russell
Mabel Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 12:10   #2

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: Dinghy help.

Russell, what part of the world are you in?
Old 06-05-2021, 12:17   #3

NE FL. Bahamas cruising, 44 ft monohull.
Old 06-05-2021, 12:27   #4

More knowledgable posters will probably be along shortly with better advice.

Have you looked at the drop-stitched HP floor boats? If you are going to deflate for storage they are probably the best thing available. The fiberglass folding transom designs were never especially popular and have become hard to find with the overall trend away from fiberglass and towards aluminum for RIBs.
Old 06-05-2021, 12:35   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
More knowledgable posters will probably be along shortly with better advice.

Have you looked at the drop-stitched HP floor boats? If you are going to deflate for storage they are probably the best thing available. The fiberglass folding transom designs were never especially popular and have become hard to find with the overall trend away from fiberglass and towards aluminum for RIBs.
Thanks. I am not familiar with the drop-stitched HP floor boats. Do you suggest a particular model/brand? I’m looking for about an 11-12 ft boat, I think...
Old 06-05-2021, 12:54   #6

I don't have one, I have a hard (non-inflatable) dinghy. But I've looked at them at shows and dealers.

I would suggest starting your search with Highfield and Achilles.

Most people find that the HP floor lasts about half the life of the tubes because of accumulated damage from beaching and abrasion where the floor meets the tubes. In most cases it is possible to replace the floor (only) and get a few more years of service. As with any inflatable sold in recent years the quality is somewhat uneven and the warranty service poor across all manufacturers, so there is some chance of getting a lemon.

Enjoy your search.
Old 06-05-2021, 12:59   #7

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

I feel like a year or two ago craigslist was inundated with ads for a folding aluminum rib with the same basic design as the F-Rib. I can't seem to find anything about them now though.

If you're in Florida, there's a new F-Rib 330 for sale on craigslist down near Miami, just posted.

https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/boa...317842202.html

Looks like they might have more than one. The price looks pretty reasonable too.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 13:06   #8

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Russell, I have a hypalon dinghy with high pressure air floor. Mine is 10’3” by Walker Bay. I’m very pleased with the dinghy but not happy with the company. Zero customer service. I’ve had high pressure air floor dinghies before that were PVC from a couple of off brand companies that were quite satisfactory while they lasted. As I’m sure you know PVC is cheaper but less resistant to UV and glued seam failure. I like the air floor option because it can easily be partly deflated on the foredeck or fully deflated and taken below. It is much lighter weight to lift or tow. Down side is it’s less resistant to abrasion on rocky beaches.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 07:42   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
I feel like a year or two ago craigslist was inundated with ads for a folding aluminum rib with the same basic design as the F-Rib. I can't seem to find anything about them now though.

If you're in Florida, there's a new F-Rib 330 for sale on craigslist down near Miami, just posted.

https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/boa...317842202.html

Looks like they might have more than one. The price looks pretty reasonable too.
I wanted to thank you. Cruisers Forum to the rescue. I actually purchased an F-RIB based on the link you provided. I had previously searched without success, including contacting dealers in Europe and the factory directly. I guess I owe you a beer.

Thanks,

Russell
Old 15-05-2021, 07:47   #10

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

I'm glad it worked out for you. Let us know how you like it once you get a chance to use it for a while.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 09:16   #11

Agreed on Walker Bay customer service being trash.

I have a Genesis 310 and LOVE IT. I broke a trim tab and lost my bench when the RIB flipped over during a tropical storm. Walker Bay doesn’t handle their own parts, and their distributor sucks. Placed an order, heard nothing for months. Started calling, emailing, leaving voicemails. Nothing. Was billed. Finally had to email and threaten a chargeback to get a reply...then the parts magically arrived. 6+ months after order...

Great boats, horrible service.
C420sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy