Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2020, 01:06   #61

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Dinghy Dock Etiquette

Is really a no brainer.

Motor down of course.
SV DINGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 09:25   #62

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
I would not move the dinghy. People come back to their dinghy expecting it to be where they left it. Instead, get the office to post a sign to not block the ladder, or go back to your boat and write a note, asking them to not block the ladder, but do not move it. Your "rights" stop short of the other guys nose, and possessions.

Outboards down.

I think the OP should ask what the greyback's beverage of choice is, and go over to his boat with it, and apologize, get him to show the damage and see that it is repaired, and leave the token gift.
ah- most times this is on dinghy a dinghy dock where there is no office. moving the dinghy to cleat next to the ladder simply tells the person that they were being inconsiderate

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 05:46   #63
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

Office? Most of the dinghy docks we use are put up by cities/towns for cruisers to use and visit to spend money in their towns. Usually they are just a pier at a city park or just off the sidewalk or boardwalk. There is no "staff" lol -how posh to have staff at a public dinghy dock.

Cruisers get along and watch our for each other living by custom and etiquette as we interact with each other and share facilities such as public dinghy docks It is pretty easy to spot the newbs who haven't figured out how things are done yet.

The vast majority of cruisers on the US East Coast where we are now are not anchor sailors so this lifestyle is a dying community, most simply marina-hop end only anchor when there are few or no other choices and there is not a marina to stay at that can accommodate them. But when they do they are often the ones causing problems since they make newb mistakes like leave their outboard up, tie up/lock up in such a way as to hog more than their share of space, and other common faux pas.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 07:11   #64

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

We've always left our motor down at the dinghy docks to prevent damage to other boats. However, in some areas, a stern anchor is appropriate to keep your dink from swinging into other boats. The idea of using a bucket is also a good one.
Old 22-06-2020, 07:40   #65

Boat: Valiant Esprit 37

Yes! You are being totally inconsiderate and you're in the wrong here!

I've been cruising for more than 20 years and few things piss me off more than a person who puts there engine up and others who tie a 2 foot painter to the dock. The propeller on your engine can easily puncture someone else's dinghy. Particularly if it has any sharp edges from rocks or groundings. I don't care what the dinghy dock looked like when you tied up your boat. 30 minutes later there may be 20 more boats trying to tie up. And yes, whoever is dropping your engine back in the water can do so and I applaud them for doing it, so I don't have to. I've done it more times than I can remember.

And since we're talking etiquette, lets talk dinghy painters too! Apparently you haven't been around long enough to come up to a dinghy dock where every dinghy is tied off on a 2 foot painter and you can't get your boat any where near the dock. I've had times where I've had to climb through 3 or 4 other dinghys so I could get off on the dock. Now maybe I'm just another grumpy old silver back, but nothing pisses me off more than this. Particularly when you see 20' of extra painter sitting in their boat. I have made it my personal mission to retie one EVERY time I see it done! I think it is one of the most inconsiderate things a person can do. We all need access to the dock. Yeah, you may have to spend a few minutes untangling lines when you get back to your dinghy but it sure beats not being able to access the dock!

Drop your motor in the water and use a long painter and everyone will be happy. And please, if you see someone who pulled their motor up, climb in their dinghy and drop it back in the water. You might be saving my or someone's dinghy from being punctured. And any time you see a dinghy tied up on a 2' painter, retie it. The next person who approaches the dock will thank you for it!
reflectionsv37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 07:51   #66

My hypalon tube cut by prop when I was in NZ. Only a lubber leaves motor up at dinghy dock. If you think otherwise, then leave outboard up while alongside your vessel,then check damage to Hull or appurtenances.
le chat beaute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 07:55   #67

Boat: 38' self built cutter (1990)

It seems to me that nobody is mentioning the very first reason for leaving motor down: passing tenders can maneuver badly at times, lack propulsion, be blown by the wind or anything, and you do not want the lady (or the kid) sitting on the side of the tender being hit in the face by your propeller.
Visarend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 08:41   #68

A raised motor with a bucket seems to be the norm of Palm Beach County as our sailing club enforces this for lengthy stays. Low tide often leaves some boats high and dry with their props buried in the sand. Also, due to the amount of growth that accumulates so quickly in our warm, dirty waters. Yes I say dirty as I rarely see pump-outs occuring for the multiple liveaboards permanently moored or anchored in Lake Worth and nearby anchoages.
bwchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 08:56   #69

Boat: Pearson 36-2

Lest we forget to mention, the other actors (silver back and friend) could simply act like grown ups and demonstrate the cojones to politely take the matter up with you face to face. The advice above seems right and reasonable.
JPS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 08:56   #70

Boat: Leopard 40

I agree with the others. Leave the prop down. We only put ours up if we're pulling up on a beach or some other place where the prop could be damaged. Depending where we are, we'll leave the dingy in the water. If not, then it's on the davits.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 09:39   #71

Boat: Borrensen BB-10

Sensitivity alert: some of the comments given above may be demeaning to gorillas everywhere. A real gorilla would have ripped off some one's head.
Oohla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 10:36   #72

Boat: Wendon Skylounge 72'

Several comments on this topic mention dropping a stern anchor when approaching a dinghy dock, so that the boat can be kept off the dock or barnacles on the pilings. This is a great idea in some circumstances, but I did not see mention of how to rig this anchor. Rope does not work for this, as it will not allow enough stretch to get to the dock and tie up, while still being able to keep the bows off the barnacles. Use a length of shockcord (bungee). We use the largest we can buy locally which is 3/8ths or 7/16ths. Secure this to your stern and the anchor (you will need cable ties or similar to get a secure strong knot in shockcord). Then drop the anchor when you are approx the length of the shockcord from the dock. You will then be able to motor to the dock, short-tie while unloading then long tie the painter so that the dinghy drops back 10+ feet. ~Alan
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 10:47   #73

Even though we have a fiberglass dinghy that is impervious to upturned engines, we recognize that inflatables are a lot more delicate, and therefore always leave our dinghy engine in the down position.

It's just common courtesy. It's not easy fixing inflatables when cruising.
Old 22-06-2020, 11:18   #74
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I can think of countless dinghy docks I've tied too.....seeing a dink with an upturned outboard, though rare, is usually a sign of a " newbie", leave the damned thing down, it's designed to operate in salt water...try pulling up to dinghy dock yourself that has dinks with upturned engines and you will quickly appreciate the folly of adding to this mess.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 11:21   #75
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

a crowded dinghy dock also leads people to climb onto and over someone else's dink to access theirs, it's a fact of life for cruising folk....
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, dock