Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2014, 06:45   #31

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36
Re: Dinghies

I still have hard dinghies but I'm pretty close to seeing the light. I'd love to have a hard dinghy with a sail kit but I'm too cheap to outright buy new. I always seem to miss the good deals on craigslist too . I currently have a Dyer Midget that I got for next to nothing, of course it needs some wood work. My current usable dinghy is a 8ft wood/fiberglass pram that must weigh about 200lbs by now being so water logged. Looks pretty, rows well but after a weekend with a friends rib the admiral was sold. She told me to go buy one, but I'm still too cheap Maybe one of these day's I'll listen and learn though.
Old 30-06-2014, 07:11   #32

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
RIB's are heavy. So heavy, in fact, I can't imagine not having davits for one.

I currently have a 7 1/2' Livingston with a 6hp. Tohatsu...4 stroke. Oh yes 4 stroke...the ultimate sin on CF. I can muscle both myself with the aid of my crane off the back of the boat.
This doesn't make sense. A 9' Livingston (they don't seem to sell a 7.5') weighs 169lbs. A 9' AB aluminum RIB (for example) weighs 79lbs.

One needs to move up to a 11'6" RIB to equal the weight of a 9' Livingston.

Unless your 7.5' Livingston is made out of carbon fiber and helium, I don't see it being lighter than an equivalent RIB.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 07:18   #33

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Sadly, the Livingston 7 1/2 is no longer made as of 2 years ago. It weighs 80#. I installed roller tubes on the lifelines adjacent to where the dink is stored, then just rolled off via halyard. But I guess the smallest RIB weighs that much. But I have seen them 200+ pounds.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 07:21   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctpc View Post
a Walker Bay as im about to head to Tassy I also got the sail and 4 chamber inflatable tubes to use as my life raft if needed.
Please rethink using that as a life raft - it isn't suitable in any way. If you can't rationalize through thought as to why it should not be used as such, then go out in just moderate seas, launch it and get inside it.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 30-06-2014, 07:25   #35

Quote:
Sadly, the Livingston 7 1/2 is no longer made as of 2 years ago. It weighs 80#. I installed roller tubes on the lifelines adjacent to where the dink is stored, then just rolled off via halyard. But I guess the smallest RIB weighs that much. But I have seen them 200+ pounds.
The smallest RIBs are lighter. One needs to go over 12' with a RIB or start adding consoles to get 200 pounds.

Mark

Old 30-06-2014, 07:27   #36

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Yes...the smallest one but that wasn't what most were talking here.
I love how these threads always turn into some kind of war...one dink vs. another. Realistically what is good for a Catamaran platform isn't good for a 29' monohull. But I guess we could debate which platform is "better"...right?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 07:39   #37

Quote:
Yes...the smallest one but that wasn't what most were talking here.
I love how these threads always turn into some kind of war...one dink vs. another. Realistically what is good for a Catamaran platform isn't good for a 29' monohull. But I guess we could debate which platform is "better"...right?
You are taking this the wrong way. I was trying to help the OP by correcting information given that RIBs are heavy and require davits and that a hard dinghy is the opposite.

Mark

Old 30-06-2014, 08:01   #38

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Has anyone cruised with a 9.4 Water Tender? They sale them at west marine and other places under different names. I bought one used because it came with a almost new merc 3.5 hp 4 stroke which I did want. Since I have had the pair I am thinking very strong about using this set up. It is very stable and I have seen them at west marine for years. At 599 new and takes up to a 5hp motor and rows great it has to be a set up some people use. I have had it in windy and rough weather and I have been very impressed with it. Also the Merc 3.5 only weighs like 39lbs which makes placing it on and off the back of the boat a snap along with the fact it runs for hrs on a 1/2 gal of fuel.
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 08:38   #39

Boat: csy 37

Yes! Not suitable for the OP but we've used one for the past eight years and are big fans. It stows easily on the flush deck of our csy 37 but we usually tow it. I could bore you with stories about it's ruggedness, utility, unsinkability and rowability. Will plane with one and a 3hp yammie. Not for everyone but we love it.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 09:06   #40

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

I have had wonderful service from a 2.85m Avon Roll-up inflatable with vinyl floor; weighs a little over 100 lbs. It planes with a 3.5 hp 2-stroke Tohatsu, and flies with an 8 hp. Achilles makes an excellent one with roll-up aluminum floor. Both of these are Hypalon, and very rugged. Easy to store--just let the air out and roll up.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 17:15   #41

Boat: Bristol 38.8

My Walker Bay air floor weighs about 75 pounds and my Tohatsu 6 weighs 55 lbs. If I had to do it all over again I would get the next sized RIB up. The problem with the Pudgy is that it weighs too damn much (135 lbs.) and can't be deflated for a passage. Even if you have davits, you don't want a dinghy mounted on davits offshore.

Avons are good. Too bad they don't sell new ones in the U.S. any more.

I'm not a weightlifter, and even a 2-stroke 9.8 or 15 hp is heavy. I want to have a dinghy I can deploy without mechanical aids.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 17:49   #42

Boat: Searunner 37 Aroha

Different dinghies for different boats for different folks wondering if this indeed is the best option for my sized boat.
Material, size, shape, user friendly, performance, appearance, capabilities, strength.
This list should serve well giving a score out of 10 and apply it to the various dinghies that are currently on the market or second hand models.
Ad the score sheet and there you have it the best dinghy for yourself.
rossad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:22   #43

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

RIB weight data point: Gemini aluminium hull Hypalon 3.5 metre weighs (empty) 47 Kg.

Not the best Hypalon quality, but ours has now served full time cruising for 8 years... and it is time for new tubes. The hull, while a bit scratched on the outside, and still scorched on the insider from being used as a fireship by thieves, is still in good shape.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 01-07-2014, 05:29   #44

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
I think that maybe the best way to determine which is best dinghy is to first determine which outboard is best. Or if you want a dinghy that you're just going to row. Basic choice is 6 horsepower or less so you can get it on and off your boat without tackle. Or larger and then you would want a dinghy that can plane.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:16   #45

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

What do you folks with aluminum RIBs use for bottom paint?