Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2018, 11:01   #16

Boat: Currently in between
Re: Different Cultures of Sailing

Oh WOW, you are going to sail that brand new boat in those waters???

Just kidding, I'm sure you can do it or you wouldn't even try!

As to WiFi, Off Florida east coast and throughout the Bahamas our 13 year old found enough WiFi at times to keep him happy and at other times he was happy to drive. He also read some real books!
Old 08-09-2018, 11:03   #17

Boat: Buchan 37, Windward Mark + MiniTransat 6,50 Antidote

Sailing culture - this is a big and complex topic. I think a lot of sailors do think about it. We make our decisions about sailing based on our values and beliefs that are grounded in our cultures.
Our sailing cultures are influenced by many factors - social and economic class, religion, gender, nationalism, environmentalism ...... Yet there are clear underlying values and beliefs I see in our literature. I read Ted Heath's "Sailing: A Course of my life" and Bill Buckley's books (four of them) - each a completely different person from me in terms of politics, wealth, ego, social class ..... Still I would have jumped at the chance to sail with them. Each was an icon, of sorts, for sailing culture.
Maybe the sailing culture exists because we share a deep, personal, appreciation of using the two uncontrollable natural forces of wind and water while relying on our own natural skills and abilities (now being replaced by technology). The best sailing authors seem to start telling their stories when they are aware of their own inner values and beliefs and can relate to their mental and physical experience while sailing. They feel a commitment to support communities of sailors and a strong sailing culture. Starting, contributing to and reading a thread like this one supports our sailing culture at a time when our culture faces many threats and choices.
Adrian NAMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:38   #18

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

The sailing is the same everywhere, A to B don't touch bottom, now yes the cultures are different in different areas.......... I find the culture in thr PNE or as most call it PNW to be very different than the rest of North America.....more laid back and just do it, eh....
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:10   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

I may or may not have had two glasses of wine.. and as such wont get to philosophical and maintain my standing as a reasonable and level headed member.. but I will say that I dont think of 2 meters as shallow draft.... and I will say that the Cuve'e 2010 is very nice wine.....
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:41   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
The sailing is the same everywhere, A to B don't touch bottom, now yes the cultures are different in different areas.......... I find the culture in thr PNE or as most call it PNW to be very different than the rest of North America.....more laid back and just do it, eh....
i would argue that premise

but agree that it is a good idea not to touch bottom on passage, but as we spend much of our time in safe harbours between passages sitting on the bottom between tides either in the mud,on the beach or dried out against a wall due to the big tides.

this has been the culture of sailing far longer than most modern marinas and ports cater for in current times.

i would argue that it is quite modern for boats to have keels that do not allow them to readily take the bottom comfortably.

wooden boats dating back thousands of years have been launched,stored and sailed from beaches and eastuary's with the help of the rising and falling tide.

this is probably part of sailing culture forgotten by most who assume a boat must float all the time,and those that sail in areas with small tides.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:44   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i would argue that premise[emoji2]

but agree that it is a good idea not to touch bottom on passage, but as we spend much of our time in safe harbours between passages sitting on the bottom between tides either in the mud,on the beach or dried out against a wall due to the big tides.

this has been the culture of sailing far longer than most modern marinas and ports cater for in current times.

i would argue that it is quite modern for boats to have keels that do not allow them to readily take the bottom comfortably.

wooden boats dating back thousands of years have been launched,stored and sailed from beaches and eastuary's with the help of the rising and falling tide.

this is probably part of sailing culture forgotten by most who assume a boat must float all the time,and those that sail in areas with small tides.
What Atoll said.. having a full keel toughing bottom isnt a big deal at all...
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 13:41   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor_ed View Post
That chart! Good heavens!!

Fair winds and keep an eye on the depth sounder!

Depth sounder will not help too much, in that place! Depth may go from 60 meters to 0 in a boatlength or less, and the charts are not accurate (intentionally so, to fool Russian invaders, I have been told).

I hit a rock not far from the place shown on the map posted by the OP, exactly on the spot where the chart showed 50 meters of water. Right between the numerals "5" and "0" on the chart

But the Archipelago Sea, despite the extreme challenges of pilotage, is one of the most beautiful places in the world.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 14:14   #23

Boat: Moana 33

Thanks Barnakiel for those endearing comments; I try to bring a small bottle of rum when neighbouring boats invite us aboard (not like beer drinking, which can make the trip back in the dinghy somewhat hazardous).

But I am still in a state of shock at the incredible difference revealed between (some) US boaters and (some) here in NZ. On another thread I described sailing down NZ's deserted west coast (almost no one sails there - zero shipping, and it's normally a lee shore with mainly bar harbours requiring local knowledge and fair weather to enter, so not a popular place to be). So I mentioned day after day, night after night, kicking back in the cockpit or companionway, reading or daydreaming and gazing at the amazing albatrosses that seem to follow the slow passagemaker.

Well it seems in other locales this is considered heresy; we are required to maintain continuous lookout and must not remove our eyeballs from the empty horizon for fear of who-knows-what catastrophe. DockHead may correct me on my interpretation but hopefully it can be done in the spirit of friendly divergence of views engendered by the title of this new thread. Some of us are laid back when conditions allow, some of us maybe hyper-focussed; I dunno but I hope we can all be civilised and friendly as I'm not about to ram anyone, not in this locale, due to my relaxed view of the world. Horses for courses, as they say.
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 15:54   #24

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i would argue that premise

We only have 3-5m tides........we anchor away from drying areas and dingy over at low tide to dig clams in the muddy bits........
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 18:30   #25

Boat: Spacesailer

Sailing's what you make of it. I'm happy to just sail around our local Gulf St Vincent, cruise down the metro coast, perhaps down to Kangaroo Island and spot sharks in summer. Some people do high speeds, just off Antarctica.
MartinAdelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 19:34   #26

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

My impression: half of over-thirty-foot sailboats don't leave their anchorages/marinas more than twice a year. Ninety-nine-percent-plus of the remainder don't attempt to circumnavigate the globe.
Old 08-09-2018, 20:01   #27

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

"My impression: half of over-thirty-foot sailboats don't leave their anchorages/marinas more than twice a year. Ninety-nine-percent-plus of the remainder don't attempt to circumnavigate the globe."

Who cares about all the boats that don't move?
Most CF posters are out there sailing someplace.
More positive vibes Moriarty - none of those negative ones.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 20:41   #28

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

That`s interesting, how did Mark Pierce & Andy Ess both come to post identical comment? Is there a glitch in the system or did they both post a quote made by another person?
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 20:50   #29

Boat: Moana 33

It seems the second poster tried to quote the previous post but didn't hit the "quote" button at the foot of the post he wished to quote - an easy mistake for a relative newbee. Just keep it coming and don't worry about mistakes - we're all human, mostly.
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 22:40   #30

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
Sailing on the west coast (mostly British Columbia, CA) was magical, a whole new world.
... and you describe it beautifully. It's a feeling I recognize as well, finding a whole new world.

Tags
sail, sailing