Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2015, 00:10   #61

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Difference Between Coastal And Blue Water Cruising

In 1962 Kenichi Horie sailed across the Pacific in a little ill prepared 19 foot skip called Mermaide. He would hardly be called, well equiped. His vessel was hardley adequate for the trip and safety features were none.

My point is, I doubt anyone would such he was not 'off shore' or 'blue water' cruising.

I've not sailed any trans Atlantic or Pacific Oceans probably never will but I have sailed 200miles across Bass Strait, I've sailed 100 miles across Encounter Bay in South Australia. Been to Deal Island twice from Tamar which is an over night sail in what can turn in to attrocious seas.

'my' point is i don't use the terms 'off shore' to do with provision, time at sea, but distance from shore. I'm not an experienced sailor, but I still describe some of my sailing as 'off shore' and even 'blue sea' sailing.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 02:28   #62

What sort of boat was that?
Oscarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 02:29   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Fred View Post
My definition of bluewater cruising is being at sea continuously for more than a week. Almost anyone can manage a few days of being tired, wet and unwashed, no matter how rough the passage. But people change in a week. Some are good shipmates no matter what. Others transmogrify into monsters. Buy a good strong monohull with a 120 Deg. righting moment and deep reefable sail plan, and you won't have serious boat problems. The problems will be the people. You will be responsible for keeping them rested, fed and watered, healthy and contented. The last one is the hardest.
Old 14-02-2015, 03:42   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarb View Post
Which are you referring to Oscarb?
Old 14-02-2015, 03:59   #65

Sorry, I think I quoted the wrong post, there was a chap talking about a boat with a scoop aft and space for kayaks etc. I'm trying to find a boat to sail from Europe to Aus next year and looking for people's ideas... It's a bit like politics, everyone believes strongly in their own views but no one else agrees

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 14-02-2015, 04:03   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarb View Post
Sorry, I think I quoted the wrong post, there was a chap talking about a boat with a scoop aft and space for kayaks etc. I'm trying to find a boat to sail from Europe to Aus next year and looking for people's ideas... It's a bit like politics, everyone believes strongly in their own views but no one else agrees

ha ha, too true. I think the only thing we would all agree with for your question is 'it needs to float'.

Now I'd say it needs to keep the water 'out'. But that would lead to an argument over dry or wet bilges.
Old 14-02-2015, 07:50   #67

Boat: Scout 30

If I were looking for a boat to sail to Australia I'd choose one of these. Why not arrive in style?

Sales | Classic Boat Magazine

Sales | Classic Boat Magazine
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 08:56   #68

I've done a considerable amount of:

Coastal cruising - Where my attention is focused on traffic, floating debris like logs, current, variable wind and potential gusts generated by being in the proximity of mountains (especially 'bullets') and the gnawing realization I'm near 'the hard'. Little room for making mistakes and potentially life threatening consequences if I do.

Blue water cruising- When I'm sailing away from land enroute to a destination two to forty five or more days away. Unlike coastal cruising I can for the most part relax and enjoy the rythmic elements of sound and motion. Establish a routine. While I still have to consider the effect of current on boat speed and course, the presence of infrequent other traffic; until nearing my destination I no longer have to worry about the nearness of land. The hazard now is less evident but nonetheless very real. Collision with anything large and heavy enough to inflict serious damage to my boat. But, odds are most hazards of this sort are lurking just below the water's surface and I'd probabably never see it before impact anyway. Unlike coastal cruising the wind is under normal conditions consistent and reliable. The major exception is when transiting convergence zones where squalls occur. Even then, you can pass through the same convergence zone on different passages and experience 'wall to wall squalls' 24 hours a day on one and rare, large squalls only at night with light to no wind during the day on the other.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 09:05   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post

Coastal cruising - Where my attention is focused on traffic, floating debris like logs, current, variable wind and potential gusts generated by being in the proximity of mountains (especially 'bullets') and the gnawing realization I'm near 'the hard'. Little room for making mistakes and potentially life threatening consequences if I do.

Blue water cruising- When I'm sailing away from land enroute to a destination two to forty five or more days away. Unlike coastal cruising I can for the most part relax and enjoy the rythmic elements of sound and motion. Establish a routine. While I still have to consider the effect of current on boat speed and course, the presence of infrequent other traffic; until nearing my destination I no longer have to worry about the nearness of land. The hazard now is less evident but nonetheless very real. Collision with anything large and heavy enough to inflict serious damage to my boat. But, odds are most hazards of this sort are lurking just below the water's surface and I'd probabably never see it before impact anyway. Unlike coastal cruising the wind is under normal conditions consistent and reliable. The major exception is when transiting convergence zones where squalls occur. Even then, you can pass through the same convergence zone on different passages and experience 'wall to wall squalls' 24 hours a day on one and rare, large squalls only at night with light to no wind during the day on the other.
If I'm reading correctly you are contradicting yourself quite a bit.
robert sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 09:23   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
'it needs to float'.
And keep floating.
Old 14-02-2015, 09:59   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Well, hard to know if you're 'reading correctly' or not unless you point out the alleged contradictions.

Happy to discuss the nuanced differences or similarities between coastal and blue water cruising.

You can of course offer up your own take in the matter, taking the risk someone will find fault in what you've said.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 10:02   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
How was any of that 'contradictory'?
Old 14-02-2015, 15:04   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post

I carefully read this post and see how it is pointed out that debris, changing currents, traffic and inconsistent weather are more frequent in coastal areas and yet floundering dangers, current events, traffic and harsh weather can occur offshore too, though less frequently. These statements are not contraditions, but observations of frequencies and most commonly expected conditions when comparing coastal and offshore cruising.

We should all be reading for comprehension and not for finding fault.
Old 18-02-2015, 18:13   #74

In Indonesia a couple of years ago I was in a small motor boat 15hp engine on the back, it was rainy season. There were literally entire tree that had been washed out the rivers, ropes, clotheslines, nappies and a billion plastic bags.... It was really scary dodging all this stuff while cruising to a surf break, would hate to be there cruising at night on a yacht! But I guess this stuff ends up out in the big blue somehow anyway

Old 18-02-2015, 18:58   #75

Lots different... first of provisions and stores are less an issue when cruising coastal. Usually you can restock, fuel up and top of water tanks whenever you want. You anchor each evening or "park the boat" at a quay or marina... and so you don't typically do over night sails and watch schedules.

Less traffic and almost no underwater hazards like ledges but occasional floating debris. Usually off soundings.

Longer waves, larger heights and swells offshore. No land effects on wind so winds are more consistent and less variable. Water is blue! Sky is clear of light pollution off shore. Dolphin and other sorts of creatures are offshore.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, enc, water