Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2021, 18:12   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: PNW
Boat: Grand Soleil 42LC
Posts: 16
Diesel exhaust smell with Webasto heater

I have a Webasto Air Top EVO 55 (link) and I noticed that every time I turn it on, right after it fires up there is a fairly strong diesel exhaust smell that momentarily comes through all the vents. It quickly dissipates and only reappears when the unit eventually restarts a new heating cycle. I have checked the installation and don't find any obvious exhaust leaks or similar infiltration sources.

Is this normal/expected?

The air intake is in the same locker that the unit itself is in, though the exhaust is plumbed to the exterior and appears to be air tight. It happens in all wind conditions and has been this way for months.
silvercreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2021, 18:29   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Wrangell Alaska
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1
Posts: 257
Re: Diesel exhaust smell with Webasto heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercreek View Post
I have a Webasto Air Top EVO 55 (link) and I noticed that every time I turn it on, right after it fires up there is a fairly strong diesel exhaust smell that momentarily comes through all the vents. It quickly dissipates and only reappears when the unit eventually restarts a new heating cycle. I have checked the installation and don't find any obvious exhaust leaks or similar infiltration sources.

Is this normal/expected?

The air intake is in the same locker that the unit itself is in, though the exhaust is plumbed to the exterior and appears to be air tight. It happens in all wind conditions and has been this way for months.
Hello Silvercreek, Iíve had a few beers (everything is a good idea after that) so take my advice with a bit of salt.

I have the same heater and setup. It sounds like to me. The wind is blowing that first initial exhaust which can be very strong and raw into your air inlet. But if your sure thatís not the case. I would wonder for a trouble shooting code on your display. Maybe your igniter is getting weak, but Iím grasping at straws with that comment.

Iíll stay in tune with the thread as it might happen to me.

Sam
Sam Woodbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 13:33   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: PNW
Boat: Grand Soleil 42LC
Posts: 16
Re: Diesel exhaust smell with Webasto heater

Thanks Sam. No, I don't think the exhaust is being blown into the intake port, but I wonder if internally inside the Webasto unit, there could be some blowback? Do you notice that on your unit?
silvercreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 13:39   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 750
Re: Diesel exhaust smell with Webasto heater

Inside the unit there should be absolutely NO connection between exhaust and cabin air. That would be very bad. I would think this is obvious...

If it was my boat, I wouldn't use it until I had this figured out. A steady diet of diesel exhaust is NOT a good plan. If the unit burns fairly cleanly once it warms up, you might not smell it, but it is still very, very bad for you.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 13:45   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: PNW
Boat: Grand Soleil 42LC
Posts: 16
Re: Diesel exhaust smell with Webasto heater

It would have to be a defect of some sort, certainly not by design.

I have a smoke pencil I can use to check for any latent exhaust leaks, however I would need to disable the cabin blower fan during this test as currently it creates too much wind movement to tell. I'll add this to the list of projects...
silvercreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 14:15   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Wrangell Alaska
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1
Posts: 257
Re: Diesel exhaust smell with Webasto heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercreek View Post
Thanks Sam. No, I don't think the exhaust is being blown into the intake port, but I wonder if internally inside the Webasto unit, there could be some blowback? Do you notice that on your unit?

Hmm SilverCreek, no blow back or smell with my unit. Someone did chime in though, but Iím hoping for more replies on your issue. From last night to today. I still wonder if your igniter is getting weak at getting the fuel to burn on its initial first start. But I donít know.

Sam
Sam Woodbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 14:33   #7
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lefkas Marina ,Greece
Boat: Bavaria 36
Posts: 16,725
Images: 3
Re: Diesel exhaust smell with Webasto heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Woodbridge View Post
Hello Silvercreek, Iíve had a few beers (everything is a good idea after that) so take my advice with a bit of salt.

I have the same heater and setup. It sounds like to me. The wind is blowing that first initial exhaust which can be very strong and raw into your air inlet. But if your sure thatís not the case. I would wonder for a trouble shooting code on your display. Maybe your igniter is getting weak, but Iím grasping at straws with that comment.

Iíll stay in tune with the thread as it might happen to me.

Sam
Iíve had a few of these over the years , in my experience startup diesel is very pungent and Iíve noticed a small smell on startup. Never gave it much thought.
__________________
Interested in smart boat technology, networking and all things tech
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
diesel, exhaust, heater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Troubleshooting Webasto Diesel Heater witzgall Construction, Maintenance & Refit 21 24-01-2017 07:09
Smell from Diesel Heater bcboomer Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 3 03-09-2014 18:41
Webasto diesel heater maintenance s/vPainkiller Construction, Maintenance & Refit 13 30-09-2013 08:07
Webasto/espar heater install, diesel line xluke Construction, Maintenance & Refit 1 14-08-2013 20:55
For Sale: Webasto Diesel Heater cerro Classifieds Archive 0 04-09-2010 10:47

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:39.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.