Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2021, 18:12   #1

Boat: Grand Soleil 42LC
Diesel exhaust smell with Webasto heater

I have a Webasto Air Top EVO 55 (link) and I noticed that every time I turn it on, right after it fires up there is a fairly strong diesel exhaust smell that momentarily comes through all the vents. It quickly dissipates and only reappears when the unit eventually restarts a new heating cycle. I have checked the installation and don't find any obvious exhaust leaks or similar infiltration sources.

Is this normal/expected?

The air intake is in the same locker that the unit itself is in, though the exhaust is plumbed to the exterior and appears to be air tight. It happens in all wind conditions and has been this way for months.
silvercreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2021, 18:29   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1
Re: Diesel exhaust smell with Webasto heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercreek View Post
I have a Webasto Air Top EVO 55 (link) and I noticed that every time I turn it on, right after it fires up there is a fairly strong diesel exhaust smell that momentarily comes through all the vents. It quickly dissipates and only reappears when the unit eventually restarts a new heating cycle. I have checked the installation and don't find any obvious exhaust leaks or similar infiltration sources.

Is this normal/expected?

The air intake is in the same locker that the unit itself is in, though the exhaust is plumbed to the exterior and appears to be air tight. It happens in all wind conditions and has been this way for months.
Hello Silvercreek, Iíve had a few beers (everything is a good idea after that) so take my advice with a bit of salt.

I have the same heater and setup. It sounds like to me. The wind is blowing that first initial exhaust which can be very strong and raw into your air inlet. But if your sure thatís not the case. I would wonder for a trouble shooting code on your display. Maybe your igniter is getting weak, but Iím grasping at straws with that comment.

Iíll stay in tune with the thread as it might happen to me.

Sam
Sam Woodbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 13:33   #3

Thanks Sam. No, I don't think the exhaust is being blown into the intake port, but I wonder if internally inside the Webasto unit, there could be some blowback? Do you notice that on your unit?
Old 30-09-2021, 13:39   #4

Inside the unit there should be absolutely NO connection between exhaust and cabin air. That would be very bad. I would think this is obvious...

If it was my boat, I wouldn't use it until I had this figured out. A steady diet of diesel exhaust is NOT a good plan. If the unit burns fairly cleanly once it warms up, you might not smell it, but it is still very, very bad for you.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 13:45   #5

It would have to be a defect of some sort, certainly not by design.

I have a smoke pencil I can use to check for any latent exhaust leaks, however I would need to disable the cabin blower fan during this test as currently it creates too much wind movement to tell. I'll add this to the list of projects...
Old 30-09-2021, 14:15   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercreek View Post
Thanks Sam. No, I don't think the exhaust is being blown into the intake port, but I wonder if internally inside the Webasto unit, there could be some blowback? Do you notice that on your unit?

Hmm SilverCreek, no blow back or smell with my unit. Someone did chime in though, but Iím hoping for more replies on your issue. From last night to today. I still wonder if your igniter is getting weak at getting the fuel to burn on its initial first start. But I donít know.

Sam
Sam Woodbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 14:33   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Woodbridge View Post
Hello Silvercreek, Iíve had a few beers (everything is a good idea after that) so take my advice with a bit of salt.

I have the same heater and setup. It sounds like to me. The wind is blowing that first initial exhaust which can be very strong and raw into your air inlet. But if your sure thatís not the case. I would wonder for a trouble shooting code on your display. Maybe your igniter is getting weak, but Iím grasping at straws with that comment.

Iíll stay in tune with the thread as it might happen to me.

Sam
Iíve had a few of these over the years , in my experience startup diesel is very pungent and Iíve noticed a small smell on startup. Never gave it much thought.

Tags
diesel, exhaust, heater