Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 10:57   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Derelict Boats - Not Florida

Just so everyone knows, derelict boats are not a problem for just Florida. The attached boat is anchored right in the middle of the mooring field in Provincetown Ma in a great spot behind the breakwater. Since it is anchored to something it has enough swing room around it for at least 4 moorings. Meanwhile I was rocking and rolling out in the open the other day.

This boat has been there at least 4 years. I guess as a plus it floats still, but what happens and who pays when it finally sinks right wher it is?

There was another "boat" there at anchor that at night was just a seagull nesting area. But I guess it doesn't count as I saw someone on it last week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DA goes to P-Town 009.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	46219   Click image for larger version

Name:	DA goes to P-Town 010.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	46220  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DA goes to P-Town 011.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	46221  
Old 09-09-2012, 11:08   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: derelict boats -not Florida

Looks like a great handymans special. Gee a little sanding and painting and the steel hull should be good as new. Clean the water and stuff from the interior, New interior, etc.etc. throw in a good used engine, rerig and new sails and it would be a nice boat.

Sits well on its lines for being neglected. Any takers???
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 16:34   #3

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Derelict Boats - Not Florida

ha I was just thinking the same thing. One has to wonder about the legal entanglements though. If it were as simple as approaching the city or port authority and being given a clean slate ownership, it would be gone in a week. But its the niggly little problem when the bank or insurance finally opens up one eye and focuses on it that you end up in a mess.
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 16:50   #4

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Massachusetts harbormasters tend to be very professional and on top of things. I bet if you asked about this boat the owner is known and you could learn about it. However, it may just look ratty, awaiting a haulout and refit. There is nothing the harbormaster can legally do if it is legally registered, on a legal mooring, pays his harbor dues, etc., but I'm sure it is being watched. Think of it as local color.
Old 09-09-2012, 17:05   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Massachusetts harbormasters tend to be very professional and on top of things. I bet if you asked about this boat the owner is known and you could learn about it. However, it may just look ratty, awaiting a haulout and refit. There is nothing the harbormaster can legally do if it is legally registered, on a legal mooring, pays his harbor dues, etc., but I'm sure it is being watched. Think of it as local color.

Did you read the first post and look at the pictures???????
Old 09-09-2012, 17:14   #6

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
Did you read the first post and look at the pictures???????
Yep, looks like a neat boat that has seen better days. I find that kind of thing interesting to see--a lot more interesting than a harbor full of fiberglass lookalikes with no character.
Old 09-09-2012, 17:28   #7

It probably doesn't have an anchor light. Shouldn't it be getting a fine?

Doesn't there come a time where it is cheaper to just let the old boat go and use the money it would take to fix it back up to buy a better boat?

Then again, maybe it just needs some POR-15 and Whitecote.
WHITECOTE-POR-15 Inc.
(On a side note, does POR-15 paint hold up underwater? Can it be used as a bottom paint? Would it get dirty? I should test this out.)
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 17:42   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yep, for oh $15k and a ton of sweat its would be a sweet boat. Lots of potential. Good lines, looks like the rig is there. A few good used sails, paint and it would be a boat to sail about anywhere. Bet it could be had cheap if you could find the owner.

There in lies the problem, one mans Derelict is anothers field of dreams.

Maybe if everyone on CF chipped in a dollar, The board as a whole could offer a future charter boat for members and good for nothing layabouts like me.

I've got a $1 for it...

Now see what you started Don....
Old 09-09-2012, 17:58   #9

Boat: 43' Hatteras CPMY

Has anyone just walked the docks at any local marina and seen how many boats that are in super run down condition ?? At the last marina we stayed at, if you walk by the sailboat dock, I counted 12 boats who's Florida registrations are years out of date... One was 1998. Several are so moldy they actually have moss growing on them and one (everyone's favorite) has a 4' TREE growing out of the cockpit.. Yet the owners keep paying the dockage....
The difference between that dock and the powerboat dock is.... The old moldy "never used for years" Bayliners and the like seem to sink at some point.... We had 4 powerboats sink from neglect but not one sailboat during the 10 years we were there.. Go figure....
jaxfishgyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 18:00   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
Doesn't there come a time where it is cheaper to just let the old boat go and use the money it would take to fix it back up to buy a better boat?
Depends, Here you have a steel boat on a mooring for 4 years without love that still sits well on her lines. To me its still got potential if it can be had for $1. Where else could you get a 37-40' boat for $15-$35K with new rigging, good sails, lightly used engine and a new interior.

Sure someone would need to do the work themself, but there's a story in that boat. I really don't see it taking all that much to get it back to looking good, Not great But good.

Nice bullworks, great shear, Steel hull, glass looks all there. Just need to find a cheap yard and a dinghy to push it there...

Thing is every used boat needs work. This one just needs a little more love..

Three months in a yard and it could be pretty sweet.
Old 09-09-2012, 18:04   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxfishgyd View Post
Has anyone just walked the docks at any local marina and seen how many boats that are in super run down condition ??
Lots of unloved boats in every marina for sure. Saw a westsail or it looked like a 32' westsail in one with 5 years of crud on the deck and a rotten bow sprint. At least a quarter of the owners are never seen... Lots of powerboats that no longer move either.
Old 09-09-2012, 18:09   #12

The Anarchist Yacht Clubb: Hold Fast

You need to watch this.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 18:27   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ha seen that.

OK I've already got a name for the first of the CF forum cruising charter fleet.

Knotty Derelict ... perfect or what!!

Hum.. I may need to go check my meds now....
Old 09-09-2012, 19:11   #14

Boat: Celestial 48

Get serious- If the owner of the boat was going to fix it up, might have done something in the last 4 years.

Crap like this is clogging up anchorages in every port. The more it happens, the more rules and regulations are created to make life hard for those who use their boats in a responsible manner.

San Diego had a nice free anchorage. Got taken over by bums with derelict boats. I considered moving my boat there years ago, and spoke with some of the boat owners. "Why ya have 3 boats?"..."Well when one sinks I have 2 left... get them free so what the hell?". Decided that free anchorage was not worth the price! San Diego closed the anchorage and created rules, rules, and more rules. Big pain in the ass to anchor anywhere in San Diego now thanks to the legacy left by those bums and their derelict boats.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 19:49   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

well obviously the current owner will not be fixing it up never said he would, but its not a total lost cause yet.

Tons of unloved boats clog up the marina's too, btw.

Gee from some yachties standpoint, I'm one of the Boat bums, Well boat bum-ette, on a derelict, anchored in the waterways. Oh its not that bad, but my boat could stand a coat of sears weather beater :-)

Sorry looks like I hit a nerve there.

Though I think the fine folks in San Diego, sort of just like creating lots of picky rules.

Tags
florida