Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2022, 23:47   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47
Re: Dead in the water

Cap Morgan best you sell the boat to someone who can repair it himself and do not buy a boat again. Your questions are ambiguous so nobody can really give proper answers.

The only thing you do is "Buy, buy for natures sake"
Batteries dead, buy new ones. Solar needs Lithium Uuhh yes buy, buy.

Did you check if the dead batteries can be refurbished? Nope - I bet.
Looks like your Batteries of different type are connected and one cell, yes only one cell, did brek down and drowned all of your batts due to the connected banks.

There are enough manuals how to check out a dead engine:

1.) Do I get the required electricity
2.) Do I have proper fuel at the engine.

Something went wrong in your precedure!
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 00:20   #47

Boat: been sitting it out

How is it going Capt Morgan?

here is how we solved bad fuel/clogged filter issues recently

-lots of filters, jugs for bad stuff, clean diesel and

the savour? large see-thru jerry cans. 4 of them. did the rest of the trip with them and tackled the bad fuel once on the hard.

we found that see-thru jerry cans that sit down in bilge make so much more sense than having fuel tanks altogether: easy to know state of fuel, changeable, portable. while underway, just need to watch hours and change-over (turn off engine/change over/turn on engine as needed - better if two people)

a HUGE thanks to CF member Atoll who offered up this idea. worked great!

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...on-237201.html

good luck to you!

wolfie
Old 06-02-2022, 01:29   #48

Agree with Chotu on cleaning diesel and tank when you do that you will almost certainly find that the fuel pick up tube or pipe to the first filter is blocked with crud from the fuel. You could use a 5 gallon Jerry can as a temporary tank with fresh pickup pipe to first filter to get moving, don't forget to run the return fuel to the new tank as well. Use a lead acid battery for repeated starting attempts, lithium bms will limit high loads from prolonged starter operation. Good luck
MoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 11:35   #49

Boat: KP 46

I am going to be kind here.

This is a boat, it is not a car. If you wish to have a used or new boat that you can go places in you will need to be able to do basic maintenance or be prepared to spend a lot of money, some of it uselessly to have people do things for you.

Here is an example:
I was laying at a marina in Jekyll island, a couple on a 38 or so foot sailboat where towed in, a few days later they were still laying at the dock and I happened to ask them how they were doing. They told me the story of how they had run aground on a sand bar in the intracoastal. They had spent time with the motor trying to get off but were unable and the engine had died, they were towed off to the marina, the engine would not start, a mechanic had looked at it and told them they had damaged the engine (a Perkins 4 108) when they had run aground, he said it had no compression and they needed a new engine. They were perplexed and trying to figure out how to come up with the $12,000 they needed to buy a new engine. Well, this did not sound right to me and I said so, and asked if they wanted me to have a look at the engine. They said ok, so I pulled the air filter off, put my hand over the intake and asked them to crank it, it had good suction so it had to have compression. I looked at it a bit and noticed the fuel shutoff solenoid was not moving, I freed it up, and asked them to crank it again, they did and it immediately started and ran fine. They left the next morning.
I am not a mechanic, I am just a sailor, when you say both the fuel filter was clogged AND THE AIR filter were clogged that sounds strange.. Also, there are TWO fuel filters, a primary (the racor) and a secondary, it could be clogged as well. ALSO, if you drew air into the lines, which is easily possible, the air needs to be bled out. Once again, you can PAY people to do these things for you, but be aware the people you are paying to do these things may not be that knowledgeable and you may end up paying for things not needed. Your fuel tanks may or may not have a lot of sludge in them.

If you are going to have a boat, it is worthwhile to pay someone to show you how to change filters, how to bleed the air out of the engine, how to change impellers and belts. It would also be handy to know how to change oil and filters, and zincs. How to check the water in your batteries and top them up. It would also help to put vacuum gauges on your Racors.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:39   #50

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

Obviously the tank has water and lots of black gooey bacteria in it. Open it up, pump it out, mix biobor in it, pump it back it thru a filter. Likely some goo is stuck in the fuel lines so blow that back to the tank. Then bleed the system.
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:58   #51

Boat: Irwin 43 MkIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Morgan View Post
Hello Glen,
Shortly after entering some waves the engine suddenly increased rpm and I responded by throttling back to idle. The engine did not die at that time. I then advanced throttle gradually and once again it increased rpm all on its own beyond my throttle setting. This process repeated again for a total of three rpm increases before engine shut down. I noticed that the boat did not seem to make way when it revved up which was very strange.
Sounds like you may have lost your prop.

Possibly other issues either along with it or because of the high RPMs.
Old 07-02-2022, 10:59   #52

A year ago I was helping a friend move 45 foot sailboat from FLL to JAX. Sailboat was used by PO as a liveaboard for the past 5-7 years with very rare sailings out of its dock. PO was a marine pro so we assumed (erroneously as it turned out) that the basic maintenance was kept up even as a liveaboard. Lucky for us the boat had two diesels.

We decided to go outside to have more R&R days after our trip. After about few hours near the Gulfstream we started encountering rough seas. Immediately the motors started giving us trouble. The skipper, a marine pro and for 30 years a liveaboard and circumnavigator, immediately recognized that this was due to the stirred up muck in the tanks. Several oil filters later we limped back to ICW on one engine and thereafter only motored on one engine, switching them the moment we felt hesitation and changing filters as needed.

In total we must've gone through almost a dozen filters (alas, there were that many aboard) and finished the trip as planned, time wise and almost uneventfully. Except for one soft grounding in the low tide in water marked 7' on all charts, the boat's official draft being 4.5'. Must've been extra low tide or just sand piling up at that particular spot.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 13:16   #53

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Morgan View Post
Hello Glen,
Shortly after entering some waves the engine suddenly increased rpm and I responded by throttling back to idle. The engine did not die at that time. I then advanced throttle gradually and once again it increased rpm all on its own beyond my throttle setting. This process repeated again for a total of three rpm increases before engine shut down. I noticed that the boat did not seem to make way when it revved up which was very strange.
Transmission slipping out of gear somehow?
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 14:13   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
Transmission slipping out of gear somehow?
Or a hydraulic transmission running out of fluid.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water