Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2020, 07:45   #1

Boat: 40 ft Van Dine Custom Gaffed rigged Schooner
Daysail charter business in Beaufort NC?

I recently retired from my career and had planned to open a Sailing daysail charter business in coastal Alabama. Two years ago I got my 50 ton USCG license with a sail endorsement in anticipation of maybe doing this. I have a paid for 40 foot Schooner that is in Bristol condition and I believe regardless of where she is would be a viable boat and would attract interest. I will attach photos at the bottom.
I am a native North Carolinian and recently started thinking it might be nice to get away from the gulf coast heat and be closer to my hometown and family so I started doing some research. I’ve never even been to Beaufort but of course after I get the comments here and with a bit more of my personal research if it seems viable I will make a trip there soon. This means I know nothing more about the waters in the area and the proximity to reasonably good sailing areas from the marinas than what I can see online. Know that the reason I was so attracted to this particular gaff rigged schooner was because of her draft only being 4‘8“. That is very uncommon for a New England type schooner.

What I hope to gain here is any specific knowledge you think I would find helpful.
Please steer clear of the comments such as “please make sure you know what you are getting into, or it is harder work than you can imagine, or it is a heck of a hard way to actually make money, or be careful sailing will start to feel like work.” Most of these are I am really making sure I discern properly, and I am blessed to not really need the income from it.

Also I should mention that I am a rare breed in that I love doing Brightwork. I would also be interested in making myself available there and in Oriental for Brightwork for people. Not only do I enjoy it but I am good at it and I have made it a point to test personally new products as they come onto the market and can discuss pros and cons as well as costs with any one interested in maintaining/beautifying their exterior woodwork. Thoughts on this would be much appreciated as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AE2BAF8B-E9D0-4C37-AF53-50F6DF2A8014.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	453.6 KB
ID:	221124   Click image for larger version

Name:	DABF8465-2481-4738-8720-12E978FE6C89.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	377.5 KB
ID:	221125  

Tatheelrod22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags