Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2013, 11:18   #1

Dark Wood Below Deck

So I've been perusing the used boats for sale around the net now for a number of months and I am noticing a definite trend. Monohulls (even the newer models it seems) tend to sport tons of dark wood below deck and I am curious why. Above deck the whole "teak look" seems to have passed into obscurity on newer boats but below decks its still as big a mainstay as ever. The catamaran market seems to have gotten away from it quickly going instead for all white bright fiberglass inside and out (my guess is weight is a big reason). With of course a few exceptions covered in carpet from floor to ceiling in the 70's and 80's. I am personally a fan of bright white, glossy finishes to help maximize usable light below deck and just for a more clean modern look. A few months ago some one posted some pictures of a former racing cat (105' I think it was) that had been converted to cruising. It had a spartan interior, slick and clean with easy access to all systems. Being only 30 perhaps I'm just a victim of my generational bias. What do you all think?

Tom
Tscott8201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 11:35   #2

Boat: hunter 376
Re: Dark Wood Below Deck

Dark wood interiors, small portholes and "cavelike" interiors seem to be mostly older boats, since many of the newer boats really emphasize lighter interiors and good natural lighting. Some are keeping interiors higher, so the steps from cockpit to interior are minimal, giving less cave feel, and allowing views out windows, even while seated.
I like clean, light interiors as well, but like boats that use teak as trim. I also noticed some newer boats that are beginning to look suspiciously like motorhomes inside.
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 12:00   #3

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

Yes, there's a spectrum from 'floating humidor' to 'motorhome'... There is also 'trendy hotel lobby' (aka 'generic expensive vacation home'), which I don't like either.

I tend more towards an Ikea aesthetic of plain materials that are easier to modify. But that's really my limitation in not being good at wood finishing -- I find it much easier to paint plywood white than sand and varnish teak.

Our first boat had a rich, dark wood interior that looked fantastic when lit with paraffin lamps. But there was no way I would have been able to add a shelf, table, or even cover up screw holes in the wall without it being obvious.
msponer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 12:05   #4

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

I love the combination of teak and white melamine in our boat. It has bright warm feel. Enough wood to be warm and enough gloss white to keep the interior light. Lots of hatches also helps.
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 14:03   #5

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Nothing prettier than the Herreschof formula--Gloss white b/heads and panels with varnished teak or mahogany trim.

Tags
deck