Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2022, 00:31   #1

Dacon Reinforcement HELP WANTED

Hello,

I am just enquiring to see if you can help me with finding more suppliers of a certain reinforcement material, as the one I use is sold out constantly?

The material is named (Dacon or Dakon), it's 0.1mm thick, self-adhesive and polyester-based. The link to the material is https://lintonleather.com/product/da...reinforcement/

They said it's 'commonly used in sail and kite repair' However I have honestly searched everywhere and can't find anything on it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
viixciv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2022, 17:20   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Dacon Reinforcement HELP WANTED

Welcome aboard viixciv,
Sorry I can't help you with the material you are looking for. Hopefully someone here knows of it and will chime in.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2022, 17:35   #3

Boat: Moody 376

Vii, you’ve asked this same question word for word on two other forums...

As the other forums have suggested, likely a misspelling and it should be Dacron
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2022, 19:06   #4

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch

As others have said, what you're looking for is Dacron tape with adhesive. Dacron is a proprietary name for a type of polyester fabric used to make sails and kites. Almost any marine supply store carries it.

Sent from my Z5157V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
fourlyons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2022, 20:17   #5

OP, sorry, can’t provide you another source for that exact material.

But geez, does no one actually read when someone posts like this? OP provided a link for the material, and that link specifically tells you that the material is:

Quote:
Dacon is made from biodegradable polyester (Polycaprolactone)
Dacron, by contrast, is a trademarked name for a polyethylene terephthalate (PET) product that is generally considered non-biodegradable (although there is some work done on changing this, cultivating bacteria that can utilize PET). PCL is 5-10 times more elastic than Dacron and 1/5 to 1/10 the tensile strength. Not having used it, I’d guess that nylon spinnaker tape is a closer match in terms of strength and elasticity (that’s only a guess).
PippaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2022, 01:10   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcjsmith View Post
Vii, you’ve asked this same question word for word on two other forums...

As the other forums have suggested, likely a misspelling and it should be Dacron
Well considering you even bothered saying that, I'll bother replying yes I posted it on other forums to get other people looking and responding too. You know spreading the net for an answer.
Old 14-06-2022, 01:12   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippaB View Post
OP, sorry, can’t provide you another source for that exact material.

But geez, does no one actually read when someone posts like this? OP provided a link for the material, and that link specifically tells you that the material is:

Dacron, by contrast, is a trademarked name for a polyethylene terephthalate (PET) product that is generally considered non-biodegradable (although there is some work done on changing this, cultivating bacteria that can utilize PET). PCL is 5-10 times more elastic than Dacron and 1/5 to 1/10 the tensile strength. Not having used it, I’d guess that nylon spinnaker tape is a closer match in terms of strength and elasticity (that’s only a guess).

Yes I searched all over for the material / sheets I was looking for however they aren't the same else I wouldn't have posted the question. geez.
Old 14-06-2022, 07:07   #8

Boat: Moody 376

good luck, being that this one website you listed is the only one on the entire internet that seems to know what Dacon/Dakon is, its going to be your one and only source.

Another option would be to sample other readily available self adhesive materials and see see if those materials can do what the dacon/dakon does for you.

good luck....

Polycaprolactone (PCL) also has many applications in the hobbyist market where it is known as Re-Form, Polydoh, Plastimake, NiftyFix, Protoplastic, InstaMorph, Polymorph, Shapelock, ReMoldables, Plastdude or TechTack. It has physical properties of a very tough, nylon-like plastic that softens to a putty-like consistency at only 60 °C, easily achieved by immersing in hot water.[8] PCL's specific heat and conductivity are low enough that it is not hard to handle by hand at this temperature. This makes it ideal for small-scale modeling, part fabrication, repair of plastic objects, and rapid prototyping where heat resistance is not needed. Though softened PCL readily sticks to many other plastics when at higher temperature, if the surface is cooled, the stickiness can be minimized while still leaving the mass pliable.
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, wanted