Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2022, 07:30   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: FL
Posts: 66
Send a message via Skype™ to leont
Customs clearance to get diesel only

Does one need customs clearance to get diesel only in the Dominican Republic and/or the Bahamas?
leont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2022, 08:01   #2
S/V rubber ducky
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Florida cruising currently
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 18,985
Re: Customs clearance to get diesel only

All can say is that 5 years ago arriving at fuel dock West End Bahamas that I wasnt allowed to fuel till after I had checked in. 3 months later when in the south that could have been stopped at on way north I was asked for my checkin docs before being allowed fuel.
__________________
It is OK if others want to do it different on THEIR boat
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2022, 18:04   #3
Registered User

Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 128
Re: Customs clearance to get diesel only

Quote:
Originally Posted by leont View Post
Does one need customs clearance to get diesel only in the Dominican Republic and/or the Bahamas?
YES!!! No question and unequivocal YES you NEED to clear in to buy fuel.

Can you sneak in? Maybe. But evading the rules is not what we do when we are guests of another country.
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2022, 18:27   #4
Registered User
 
JC Reefer's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 599
Re: Customs clearance to get diesel only

You could probably get away with this but you’re risking a lot. The Could take your vessel. They probably wouldn’t, but…
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2022, 08:16   #5
Registered User
 
grantmc's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: home town Wellington, NZ and Savusavu Fiji
Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Posts: 1,051
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc
Re: Customs clearance to get diesel only

Quote:
Originally Posted by leont View Post
Does one need customs clearance to get diesel only in the Dominican Republic and/or the Bahamas?
An interesting question LeonT.

I am surprised that you or anyone really would think, even for a moment, that someone could, legitimately, really just pop in to somewhere in another country (crossing across their border as it were), fill up with gas, and then pop out again, all without anyone minding? Really? Aren't they called illegal immigrants, don't they get locked up if they're caught?

The Commonwealth of the Bahamas and The Dominican Republic are both countries Leon.

So Yes Leon you will need a valid and current passport and go through the formalities at the border to gain entry. This applies at any border, failure to follow the procedures typically has serious consequences, even when accidental. Many countries are really really sensitive about their borders.

Actually I've heard of a border where on one side they're so annoyed with the people on the other side, popping across with their empty jerry cans, that they're building this giant wall to keep the fellas on the other side out. So now they have to get long ladders or dig big holes.

Of course there are exceptions, perhaps you qualify Leon. Examples include the Monarchs of some countries (the Queen of England, Wales and Scotland has never held a passport yet can travel to any country in the world). Diplomatic staff too have special privileges and can pass across borders. I think that the Pope of the Catholic Church also has special privileges.

But for smelly commoners not so much. Most countries provide a virtually automatic visa process for citizens of some countries whose citizens will qualify for an automatic visa/ That gets stamped in your passport on arrival, with varying lengths of duration granted. But citizenship typically doesn't mean blanket entry rights, either. For people with criminal records and for a variety of other reasons not so easy, such people must apply for their visa, sometimes from outside the country.
__________________
Grant Mc
The cure for everything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea. Yeah right, I wish.
grantmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 09:53   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Indiana
Posts: 212
Re: Customs clearance to get diesel only

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
An interesting question LeonT.

I am surprised that you or anyone really would think, even for a moment, that someone could, legitimately, really just pop in to somewhere in another country (crossing across their border as it were), fill up with gas, and then pop out again, all without anyone minding? Really? Aren't they called illegal immigrants, don't they get locked up if they're caught?

The Commonwealth of the Bahamas and The Dominican Republic are both countries Leon.

So Yes Leon you will need a valid and current passport and go through the formalities at the border to gain entry. This applies at any border, failure to follow the procedures typically has serious consequences, even when accidental. Many countries are really really sensitive about their borders.

Actually I've heard of a border where on one side they're so annoyed with the people on the other side, popping across with their empty jerry cans, that they're building this giant wall to keep the fellas on the other side out. So now they have to get long ladders or dig big holes.

Of course there are exceptions, perhaps you qualify Leon. Examples include the Monarchs of some countries (the Queen of England, Wales and Scotland has never held a passport yet can travel to any country in the world). Diplomatic staff too have special privileges and can pass across borders. I think that the Pope of the Catholic Church also has special privileges.

But for smelly commoners not so much. Most countries provide a virtually automatic visa process for citizens of some countries whose citizens will qualify for an automatic visa/ That gets stamped in your passport on arrival, with varying lengths of duration granted. But citizenship typically doesn't mean blanket entry rights, either. For people with criminal records and for a variety of other reasons not so easy, such people must apply for their visa, sometimes from outside the country.
Wow...I actually thought it was a pretty good question. You are not an immigrant (a person who comes to live permanently in a foreign country) in to the country. It is a simple fuel stop. Clearing customs and paying the associated fees seems a bit much to stop and get gas. You aren't staying or visiting. However, I understand why the country would require it.

However, since many countries don't require the crew to clear customs on private aircraft just to stop and take on fuel, it is a valid question....
Hoosiersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 10:19   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Cruz
Boat: Boatless Again
Posts: 5,735
Re: Customs clearance to get diesel only

If you ask, the answer will be yes.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 10:27   #8
Registered User
 
Nightsky's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 166
Re: Customs clearance to get diesel only

I think in some countries (not sure about the Bahamas) having a customs clearance gets you a better price or tax exemption on the fuel. May or may not offset the cost of clearing in.
Nightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 14:35   #9
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 24,667
Re: Customs clearance to get diesel only

Once you have checked in, you may qualify to get your departure diesel duty free.

Ann
__________________
Who scorns the calm has forgotten the storm.
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 17:31   #10
Registered User
 
Jammer's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota
Boat: Hunter 26
Posts: 2,847
Re: Customs clearance to get diesel only

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
An interesting question LeonT [...]
So Yes Leon you will need a valid and current passport and go through the formalities at the border to gain entry. This applies at any border, failure to follow the procedures typically has serious consequences, even when accidental. Many countries are really really sensitive about their borders.

I don't think the question was so far out of bounds to merit such a pedantic and condescending reply.


There are many borders where a passport is not, de jure, required in all situations. For example, between the USA and Canada or Mexico, to this day, it is possible to cross the border via land or sea without a passport, for individuals who have alternative documents enumerated under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. Some of these documents are available to individuals who are not qualified to obtain a passport under the laws of their country of citizenship. By way of example, I have three documents other than a passport which I can use to lawfully cross from the USA to Canada and back -- an enhanced driver's license, a Global Entry card, and a "passport" card -- in addition to the customary passport.



There are other examples. Within Europe, it is not necessary to clear customs or immigration to pass from, say, Germany to Austria, or between any other two Schengen nations --- despite your contention that such formalities are required "at any border."



There are also alternative (de jure) clearance procedures that do not require an in-person customs visit, in some cases, that may be relevant.



Finally, there are many situations where, de facto, documents will not be examined and formalities will not be observed -- though perhaps not as frequently as in years past. While it is unwise to depend upon these courtesies it is a reality to consider when determining whether a visit is worthwhile. I have walked between the USA and Mexico at official crossing points without being questioned or asked to produce any documents whatsoever.


I don't know what it's like getting fuel in 2022, in the DR or the Bahamas, and I think it's actually a pretty good question.
__________________
Never ascribe to wisdom that which is adequately explained by good luck.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 18:22   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York
Boat: Columbia 50
Posts: 626
Re: Customs clearance to get diesel only

It’s an interesting question in that, if you only tie up to a fuel doc and take on fuel, you’re never actually setting foot on the foreign country…..
If you are transiting somewhere, and graze the 12 mile limit, or whatever the limit is, do you need to go into a port of entry and check in? Different story if you’re going to hang around and anchor in their waters, but just passing through?

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 18:51   #12
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Posts: 12,366
Re: Customs clearance to get diesel only

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlydon View Post
It’s an interesting question in that, if you only tie up to a fuel doc and take on fuel, you’re never actually setting foot on the foreign country…..
If you are transiting somewhere, and graze the 12 mile limit, or whatever the limit is, do you need to go into a port of entry and check in? Different story if you’re going to hang around and anchor in their waters, but just passing through?

Matt
Once you enter "territorial waters" (the "12 mile limit"), you are subject to the laws of that country:
UNCLOS Articel 2
The sovereignty of a coastal State extends, beyond its land territory
and internal waters and, in the case of an archipelagic State, its archipelagic
waters, to an adjacent belt of sea, described as the territorial sea.
2. This sovereignty extends to the air space over the territorial sea as
well as to its bed and subsoil.


In general, once a vessel "ties up" to any sort of dock (or even a mooring) your vessel has, to all intents and purposes, "landed" in a country and it and all persons on board are subject to all required quarantine and customs clearances unless special legal provisions have been made for the specific situation. Similarly with anchoring.except in certain circumstance (see below).

Transiting within territorial waters (the 12 mile limit?) is covered under UNCLOS:
Article 17
Right of innocent passage
Subject to this Convention, ships of all States, whether coastal or land-locked, enjoy the right of innocent passage through the territorial sea.
Article 18
Meaning of passage
1. Passage means navigation through the territorial sea for the purpose
of:
(a) traversing that sea without entering internal waters or calling at a roadstead or port facility outside internal waters; or
(b) proceeding to or from internal waters or a call at such roadstead or port facility.
2. Passage shall be continuous and expeditious. However, passage includes stopping and anchoring, but only in so far as the same are incidental to ordinary navigation or are rendered necessary by force majeure or distress or for the purpose of rendering assistance to persons, ships or aircraft in danger or distress.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 04:29   #13
Senior Cruiser
 
GordMay's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 47,041
Images: 241
Re: Customs clearance to get diesel only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I don't think the question was so far out of bounds to merit such a pedantic and condescending reply.

There are many borders where a passport is not, de jure, required in all situations. For example, between the USA and Canada or Mexico, to this day, it is possible to cross the border via land or sea without a passport, for individuals who have alternative documents enumerated under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. Some of these documents are available to individuals who are not qualified to obtain a passport under the laws of their country of citizenship. By way of example, I have three documents other than a passport which I can use to lawfully cross from the USA to Canada and back -- an enhanced driver's license, a Global Entry card, and a "passport" card -- in addition to the customary passport...
Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)
This initiative establishes document requirements, for travel by land or sea, into the United States, from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda [who were previously exempt]. Travel between the U.S., Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands is not affected. The goal is to strengthen border security.
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citize...tent_entity=en
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citize...tent_entity=en
https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/fi...fact-sheet.pdf
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 05:07   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Monroe, Ga
Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B
Posts: 277
Re: Customs clearance to get diesel only

I agree that grantmc is completely out of line with the response. And here lies the internet forum conundrum. A forum is a place for people with common interest to gather and discuss said common interest. Some insecure folks like to use it as a place to attempt to belittle others with their superior knowledge and stature.

Anyway, I think it is a valid question and understand both sides. Checking in just to fill you tanks does seem like a waste of resources. But I also understand the line has to be drawn somewhere for there to be clear guidelines. I guess fuel stops just need to be planned out so they coincide with opportunities to visit another place and culture. You never know where the next unforgettable experience can come from. So with the right mind set checking in to get fuel, walking around the town, might just lead you to an amazing experience with something or someone.

After all we travel on boats for the adventure. Not just to get somewhere. If you are the later flying is much, much, much more efficient.

Safe adventuring
Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 06:51   #15
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lefkas Marina ,Greece
Boat: Bavaria 36
Posts: 19,233
Images: 3
Re: Customs clearance to get diesel only

Of course you clear in to buy diesel.
__________________
Interested in smart boat technology, networking and all things tech
goboatingnow is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
customs, diesel

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cruiser +- 32ft with only 8'6 bridge clearance snijers Powered Boats 2 08-04-2021 14:13
Boat inventory for customs clearance. Leobee Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 33 09-02-2021 12:14
Customs clearance Orion Jim Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 6 08-12-2014 08:48
US Customs Clearance islandguy5 General Sailing Forum 8 02-04-2011 11:38
US Clearance - Bahamas Clearance Issues AllezCat Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 2 26-01-2011 17:41

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:53.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.