Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2015, 14:57   #16

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Re: Customs & Immigration - USVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I was told, by an immigration official on St. Thomas, that those without a visa could ferry into the USVI, get an entry stamp, then return via ferry to the BVI and then perform outbound BVI clearance and inbound USVI clearance that way. This was about 2 years ago, but recently I was informed on this forum that this method no longer is valid. I strongly suggest that you call the USVI offices directly to get their current rulings.
I did ask the question when I was in Cruz Bay there in December. They told me that as long as I have an unexpired ESTA entry stamp from a previous trip into the US (obviously by commercial carrier) they would let me in without a visa.

Only caveat is that the situation I presented to them was one where the previous entry stamp was from another port of entry (Miami airport) and a few days before. If it is a same-day stamp from the same port they may not like it and these days US federal officials can do whatever they want when they do not like something.

In my case was only a what-if situation because I do have another non-ESTA passport with a B1-B2 visa. I need a contingency plan for the next time I lose it .

If I was in OP´s position I would call St John Customs (340) 776-6741 and hear the answer from the horse´s mouth.

Cheers
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 17:02   #17

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
A helpful hint on this aspect:

Once upon clearing in at Cruz Bay the agent asked whether we had any fruits, veggies, meats. Yes, we had stuff we had brought from home in the US. Apparently he sensed our honesty and believed it was for our personal consumption (we were not importers) and didn't request anything else, but advised us we should take precautions to be able to prove any food stuffs came from the US. Since then we have kept grocery receipts and when re-packaging any items in vacuum bags we have included labels, etc from the original package in the vacuum bag. For example, when vacuuming meats for freezing we include the label from the original store package so it can be read through the vacuum bag.

2 Hulls Dave
Exactly what we do and it is a great hint. Plus it's useful in so many ways. Keep the food fresh. Know the date of purchase so you use older first. We always vacuum sealed at home, but we've gone to including the label there as well.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 16:31   #18

Boat: morgan 462-sageofsalem

What about if a US Citizen sails direct, in a US Documented vessel, from the US with no stops. Any check-in requirements.
sageofsalem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
customs