Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2017, 08:11   #16

Boat: 2017 Lagoon 42
Re: Cruising with a pacemaker?

Heart block can be partial or “complete “. Complete is also known as “3rd degree heart block” . That is more important to pacemaker patients.

Talk to cardiologist about possibly doing ambulatory recording (while on boat) with all systems running (note exact time as you move from system to system/area). If there is interference with pacemaker, it should be readily apparent.
DeepCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2017, 09:02   #17

Boat: Falmouth Cutter 22

Well, sorry about the confusion and fear surrounding the pacemaker. It sounds like a 'backup in case your rate drops pacer', and should be a well grounded small pacer in the upper anterior chest that won't cause any problems. Far less risk than MOB or a Chinese Gybe. Perhaps taking a few moments to order some ferrite beads from dxengineering https://tinyurl.com/yacazxlw and place lots of them on every cable running in and out of your HF radio and the alternator in the engine. A well grounded boat and RFI protection is probably your best approach. However, the concept can easily take on mythical proportions, like that for lightening protection.
Fuegomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2017, 09:36   #18

Boat: DownEaster 38

Interesting topic. I had an ICD implanted in June and still sail as well as work on my 38’ sail boat a lot. The key is the make and model. Check the specs carefully. In my case if I stay 12” away from cell phones, etc it’s fine. Arc welder is worst offender, but I’ll never do that. Sitting above a generator should be safe for a normal sized person. My concern is more with the risk I, or the skipper of another boat, would take on an extended cruise. The person with the pacemaker has a bad heart which could go off at any time. If you are far off shore what do you do then!
bobmcd625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2017, 09:55   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
The alternator in a car is not a problem. It is far enough away, but the alternator on our boat is right under your butt at the dinette. Hand held radios (police and cb) were mentioned so I wonder about a VHF. Ham radio was in the warning and I see no difference between ham and SSB. The tech seemed to know more about it than the Dr, but then he works for the pacemaker manufacturer and has to give all of the warnings. I suspect that much of it is LAWYER SPEAK, but I want to be sure before putting the First Mate in any danger. ____Grant.
I guess you could always try it at the dock.
sazarac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2017, 10:16   #20

New to the forum but lurking for sometime. I work as a tech in the pacemaker/implantable defibrillator biz with 30 years experience. The thought process behind exposure to alternator like EMI w/ a pacemaker
is that it could potentially inhibit the pacemaker but permanent damage is unlikely. Any symptoms you may experience would depend on your pacing indication? Secondly, contact the Manufacturer direct (800#) and speak directly w Technical Services. They are extremely helpful and can e mail any pertinent articles or studies. Also mention Home Monitoring and whether or not it would it be helpful in your situation...?
Anything more specific please feel free to PM.

Merry Christmas...
fxharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2017, 10:38   #21

Boat: Morgan Out Island 33

Amount other things, I am a nurse. The only thing on a sailboat that would concern me is a SSB radio.
Oh yeah, don’t hug the mast during lightning storms.
Enjoy!
cwoflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2017, 11:54   #22

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

One test you could try is to turn on a hand held radio with the engine off, set the squelch to just damp the noise then start the engine. Move the radio to over the engine box. If you need to significantly increase the squelch setting it indicates you are getting emissions from the alternator. If you do might be worth getting an expert to look at fitting suppression to reduce it.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2017, 20:56   #23

I knew none of this, have a pacemaker and have spent many hours sailing, with NO problems!! I always sit near the altenator, as I did not know any different and won't change a thing this winter sailing!!
BernBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2017, 23:23   #24

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
A week after surgery at a follow up with the pacemaker tech, he starts telling us all of things to be careful of. The list was long and I think a lot was LAWYER SPEAK...
More probably than not, it is indeed LAWYER SPEAK, BUT also consider that is sounds like a list read by the tech. Chances are it is a list that reflects virtually every reported possible source of pacemaker problems over the years. I have no clue as to possible changes in pacemaker technology that may have shortened or lengthened the list, but you will be hard pressed to find any medical professional or representative of a manufacturer willing to put their own tail (and wallet) on the line to deal with situations you (or correctly, your spouse) are going to actually encounter on YOUR family vessel. I do suggest you get a second opinion, but in the form of a meeting/consultation with a cardiologist who has substantial experience with boats of the type you have and pacemakers. I wish I had suggestions on how you might find such persons in the area where you operate. Perhaps other forum participants might be able to assist.
Old 26-12-2017, 01:10   #25

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Given the level of tech most people use these day the average sports bar probaly has more emissions than you boat. Most cities play havoc with SSB due to noise but works just fine with the engine running!
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 03:18   #26

Boat: 2017 Lagoon 42

As a surgeon who formerly placed pacemakers, and thus worked with pacemaker technicians(Technical Reps), I would bet the single most knowledgable person on these forums, in regards to pacemakers, is FXHARTS. The Tech reps could trouble shoot and program pacers quicker than I could follow their train of thought. So while others may have their opinions, educated to some degree or not, I would bet FXHART's qualifications and expertise is better than all of ours.
DeepCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 06:43   #27

Boat: Wilbur 44

It might be worth asking if your pacemaker rep would be willing to come out to the boat and monitor the device during different maneuvers. The technical services personnel are quite good and as noted above are an excellent resource. It is important to follow up with periodic monitoring.
hmeilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 11:09   #28

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I'm left with some questions:

Mainly, exactly what outside influence is harmful to the function of the pacemaker? Are we concerned with simple magnetic fields, or low frequency fluctuating magnetic fields, or RF energy and if so, at what frequencies?

The hazards that have been mentioned seem to include all of the above, but the means of mitigating them are quite different, as are the ranges that they might be expected to propagate... hence the question.

Jim
Old 26-12-2017, 17:20   #29

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

I had the same pre warning about arc welding. Annoying but I can live with that. After installation I was told the pacer has a crush depth of 2.5 atmospheres. 48 feet! That was more than annoying.

I can still dive under the boat but no deep diving.

Rick
michaelratinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 17:53   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I know commercial fishermen with pacemakers. They do anything on the boat. Some weld. I have heard of radar being an issue, but most antennas are well overhead.
Lead lining the engine compartment also has the advantage of making the engine noise much quieter.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising