Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2017, 18:26   #31

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Cruising with a pacemaker?

Quote:
Lead lining the engine compartment also has the advantage of making the engine noise much quieter.
Yep, lead will provide good acoustic decoupling, but is good for neither magnetic or RF field reduction. I think that folks are confusing shielding against ionizing radiation (x or gamma rays) where lead is good, and the subject magnetic and NON-ionizing radiation issues.

Jim
Old 26-12-2017, 19:54   #32

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelratinter View Post
I had the same pre warning about arc welding. Annoying but I can live with that. After installation I was told the pacer has a crush depth of 2.5 atmospheres. 48 feet! That was more than annoying.

I can still dive under the boat but no deep diving.

Rick
I had the same issue (48 feet!!!). Yes, I had informed the big shot NYU golden boy I was a diver, and when I confronted him afterwards, he asked me to not dive. Grrrr.

Fast forward to present, my current cardiologist was intrigued when I explained that my new PM needs to go to depth. He did his research and my new Boston is good to 140 feet or thereabouts. If you search, there is at least one forum for divers with PMs.

As for me I have sick sinus syndrome, sounds very similar to the OP's mate. I lead a normal life, I just have to not allow magnets over the PM. It would speed up the pacing, woo hoo! I do now or have recently played ice hockey, softball, scuba dived, swam. I have no fear of metal detectors either. Of course, I am not PM dependent and I am NOT a Medical Professional. I'm 61 and have had over 10 years of being implanted, having a PM does not necessarily mean you have to curtail what you do, just stay away from magnets around the device. (I haven't welded since high school shop and don't intend to start now).
iyamwhatiyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 06:12   #33

Boat: Rinker Fiesta VEE 242 - 24'

Hi - I too have an ICD - Implanted Cardiac Device - pacemaker-defibrillator. I was told I could not drive any longer by the pacemaker clinician - that was 7 years ago! My suggestion is to reach out directly to the pacemaker manufacturer and ask to talk to their tech support - I did and got some great help. The Dr. office will be the most risk averse in any conversation - trust them with your health, but get another opinion when it comes to the adverse effects that they suggest could be a problem.

I work in the RF communications field and am around radios, magnetic antennas, RF devices every day - never had a problem. I too go through the airport metal detector all the time. Use caution until you get some trustworthy answers. I was told that a magnet would does not turn the unit off, it only prevents it from shocking my heart. I have not had that experience with mine, and don't want to! the manufacturers can probably get you good help - call them! best of luck - happy new year!
dalonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 11:27   #34

Deep Cuts, I will check out FXHARTS Thank you. Jim Cates, differences in mitigation is probably what will end up most important to us. Thank You. We have another follow up in about 2 weeks and I will have a much better idea of what to ask about at that point. It is interesting that the Dr that actually said that she needed the PM and needed it quickly only said to worry about arc welding (non issue for us) and it was the company tech that went into all of the other things. Both said any physical activity is fine other than impact in the implant region. Nobody had previously mentioned depth limits (another none issue) but that was interesting. I hope to talk to the local Ham Radio club before the next follow up, and see how they (mostly old guys) deal with it. It is all a learning experience. Thanks everyone. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 21:07   #35

Boat: 1977 Clipper Marine 32'

I have had a pacemaker just under a year. Initially I was told about all kind of restrictions. Over the months I have spoken to my cardiologist about my concerns. each time he has checked my make and model and has told me not to be concerned. The last time we spoke he was apparently getting tired of my endless questions and he took some time to explain to me that older models would place many restrictions on the user, but for me, not to worry. As far as my two way on my boat, when transmitting, keep my pacemaker 6" away from the unit and all is well. He also told me that if I had any other specific concerns, call the company tech line.
ravinracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 02:53   #36

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Don't use lead unless you are nuclear powered. You want to use copper as EFF shield.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 19:21   #37

Boat: 1981 Endeavour 37 & 1990 MacGregor 26 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxharts View Post
New to the forum but lurking for sometime. I work as a tech in the pacemaker/implantable defibrillator biz with 30 years experience. The thought process behind exposure to alternator like EMI w/ a pacemaker
is that it could potentially inhibit the pacemaker but permanent damage is unlikely. Any symptoms you may experience would depend on your pacing indication? Secondly, contact the Manufacturer direct (800#) and speak directly w Technical Services. They are extremely helpful and can e mail any pertinent articles or studies. Also mention Home Monitoring and whether or not it would it be helpful in your situation...?
Anything more specific please feel free to PM.

Merry Christmas...
Good advice and I'd do it and have with mixed results. They will of course definitely want to error on the safe side considering possible lawsuits and stuff so keep that in mind.

Got a Boston Scientific put in about 3 years ago. 5 weeks later took off for the Bahamas alone. I weld with a TIG and MIG welder. Work on the V-8 in the Suburban with it running and do about anything else that I've always done. Not saying to do the same but I've had no problems.

If I do something new that I might worry about I try it for a few seconds to see if I feel a difference. So far I haven't,

Sumner
Sumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 20:59   #38

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

To me the real test of EMF is my Casio Digital watch. Whenever I use the tesla coil (4" arc) to zap termites, my watch gets reset back to zero. I put a strong notice on the tesla coil, warning not to use it if you have a pacemaker.

What do the welders do to your digital watches?
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 02:22   #39

Sorry can’t tell you as I never wear one
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising