Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2011, 06:53   #16

Boat: Catalina 36 1987
Re: Cruising the Abacos this Winter

Thank you Hawaii for the tips. We will be going through Moorings. Never had problems with them in the past at other locations but always a first time I guess. Grocery stores nearby? I was going to purchase starter food for 3 days or so through Moorings then go to the store when we arrive at 12noon. Good idea? Stores nearby or taxi ride away?
Thanks!
compassrose88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:05   #17

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by compassrose88 View Post
Thank you Hawaii for the tips. We will be going through Moorings. Never had problems with them in the past at other locations but always a first time I guess. Grocery stores nearby? I was going to purchase starter food for 3 days or so through Moorings then go to the store when we arrive at 12noon. Good idea? Stores nearby or taxi ride away?
Thanks!

Maxwell's is about a 15 minute walk. If you don't want to take a cab back and will be buying a fair bit, take your wheeled luggage or pack. The liquor stores are a bit closer.

You can add provisions at Green Turtle, Treasure Cay or Hopetown, but Maxwell's in Marsh Harbour by far has the best selection and cheapest prices. It's a modern supermarket. The others are more like corner grocery stores.

I don't get anything from the Moorings, preferring both the cost-effectiveness and tailoring of provisioning myself.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:23   #18

Boat: Leopard 47

I am not normally one to whine about service, and I actually own an ex moorings boat and have dealt with them for years. I think Conch Inn is the marina owner and Moorings leases from them. Not sure exactly what the deal was, but really not what one would expect from ANY marina. As stated, Maxwells is the best place to provision. Their new store (old one burnt down) is 45,000 square feet and basically a Safeway, Publix, etc. Milk 2.49 half gallon, bread $2, etc. Greeen Turtle, etc are nearly double the cost. Easieswt way is to walk to Maxwells - turn left at their sign, but then go two blocks more inland and you will see huge store on left (not visible from main drag). Once you have provisioned, they will call a cab for you to go back. Otherwise, it's only about $8 for the ride.
hawaiisun2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:46   #19

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Manjack Cay for a bit of solitude. Green Turtle Cay for some good fun. I prefer White Sound to Black Sound. It's just nicer (not to mention deeper). I did not enjoy Guana Cay or Treasure Cay (overrated and over crowded). I also enjoyed Allans-Pensacola, Spanish Cay and Man-o-War Cay. If you're in Marsh Harbour, try the chicken philly cheese steak at Snappa's. Have fun, I'm jealous!
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:56   #20

Boat: Hunter 430

#2 for snorkeling off of Sandy Cay.

Get the cinnamon buns from Lola at Man O' War Cay....she's either driving around in her golf cart in the mornings, or follow the signs to her house. Albury Boat Shop is worth a visit as well on Man O' War.

Have a great trip!!
hogfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:07   #21

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

The reality is in winter fronts move through on a regular basis. You will likely have a few cooler windy days you may not move very far. Green Turtle requires a fair weather passage through the'Whale" passage. Only if the window looks great. Be sure to have a few books you want toe read. Theree will be some very Quiet times if the weather turns. Hopetown is a good place to be in bad weather for a day or two.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:11   #22

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiisun2 View Post
JUst wanted to get a note in here. If you go to Marsh Harbour and do not HAVE to go to Conch Inn (Moorings Base), I would avoid it at all costs.
My experience at Conch Inn has been quite different. They have been very supportive and responsive. I've gotten all kinds of help from them. I can't tell you why we have such different experiences. They are my go to place when I make landfall in the Bahamas and I generally stay a couple of days to get the boat shifted from passage mode to cruising mode.

I haven't had them do laundry for me so I can't speak to that - I walk down to the laundromat. They have always given me a shower key when I check in. The power meters are indeed up and down, but they have told me that they are down (if they are) on the way in and we negotiate a reasonable daily rate based on what I tell them I'll be using.

Curly Tails has always opened and closed at the posted hours when I was there.

You don't have a little black cloud that follows you around, do you? *grin*
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 20:48   #23

Boat: csy 37

provisioning -

maxwell's in marsh harbor is as big or bigger than your stateside super market. prices are about as good as you will get anywhere in the bahamas. you can walk there in about 20 minutes from the conch inn marina. take your vhf handheld with you. after shopping, if there is no taxi waiting outside for customers just get on channel 6 - the taxi channel - and ask for 'any taxi to pick me up at maxwell's'. it's about $8 back to the marina, but i always give them $10.

there is another large supermarket - not as big as maxwell's but much bigger than the ones in the other islands - at treasure cay. it's just outside the marina but inside the treasure cay complex and an easy ten minute walk - no taxi needed.

green turtle cay -

white sound is nice. it has a larger anchorage than black sound and two 'resorts', green turtle inn and the bluff house. have lunch at bluff house and you can hang around in the pool all afternoon.

but we went in to black sound because that was where we cleared in to the abacos and black sound offers a ten minute walk to the customs house. it's also near the old village which is nice to walk around in the evening as well as being close to stores and local restaraunts. the batelco office is nearby if you need to make a call stateside. we took a ball at black sound marina for ten bucks a day which let us use the heads, showers, and laundry. you can go between the two sounds on a one mile dinghy ride. you can also rent a golf cart for about $30 a day and take an island tour.

are you getting the feeling that i LOVE the abacos?
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:07   #24

Boat: Leopard 47

You don't have a little black cloud that follows you around, do you? *grin*[/QUOTE]

I thought that was the shadow of my radome.... I've spoken with other cruisers here now and all have had issues. Over an hour to get a pizza when they were the only customers; left a nice tip and not even an acknowledgement. Staffs change frequently, so who's to say whether this is just an isolated issue. I was simply giving my observations.
hawaiisun2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:58   #25

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiisun2 View Post
I was simply giving my observations.
As I was offering mine. Consistency is certainly not the strong point of most Bahamian businesses. I do believe management turnover is fairly high and that can be an issue in service delivery.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:38   #26

Boat: Lagoon 410, 41 ft

Another place to go is Fox Town, they are a little fishing community and every night the people gather at the little bar on the water front that have cold beer, American and Canadian, food and wifi. the people are simple welcoming and they all have fishing stories for you. Also straight on the other side of the channel, there is an island with perfect beach where you can walk a trail to the other side and leave a good luckcharm from your boat on an old tree and go back a couple of years latter and see if it is still there ohh and just in front of this area lobster haven with huge conch, believe me my wife was tired of eating lobster omletts, get the message! We placed a orange life jacket with Great White in easter 2009 with our names on it if you go check if it is still there and let us know.
raphaella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 09:59   #27

Boat: Catalina 36 1987

We had a wonderful time in the Abacos! I would definitely return...maybe to cruise for the winter months. I hadn't been there for almost 20 years and I found it just as memorable. I love the quiet anchorages and quaint cottages on Great Guana and Hopetown. Just wanted to check in!
compassrose88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abaco, cruising