Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average. Display Modes
Old 16-12-2011, 03:58   #2461
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
- - More seriously, I do have "ankle weights" which are merely heavy fishing sinkers on a string inside a cloth covering and tied to my ankles. These keep me upright while underwater better than excessive lead around the waist.
At the risk of stating what you probably already know, but as others may not - the idea with a weight belt is also that it can be quickly ditched. and that the quick release is in easy hand reach - without gymnastics to reach.

Not to say that can't be DIY'd. For simple bottom scrubbing depths I would go for either a Pouch belt (so can fill with whatever you want / have handy - not simply lead, lead is heavy and will be little used but still require storage) or a simple dive belt and add own pouches (only really after the quick release).
Old 16-12-2011, 09:38   #2462
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i am now on hook again , so is only 50 pesos (less than 5 dollars, us) daily for landing on dock with dink. i also pay for hull cleaning---50 dollars every other month...seems my dead 7 yr old paint still works just fine 'n' dandy for keeping away growth and barnacles for that long. saving for haul and paint in the shrimpers yard here in old harbor, mazatlan. will use same paint as the shrimpers use.
Old 16-12-2011, 10:00   #2463
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by goprisko View Post
In my experience, the best world wide guide regarding checkin/out procedures
and Ports of Entry was Jimmy Cornell's World Cruising Destinations.

Of course, you do have the Admiralty pilot / US Pilots don't you?

INDY
Pilots know everything....
Old 16-12-2011, 10:10   #2464
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i am now on hook again , so is only 50 pesos (less than 5 dollars, us) daily for landing on dock with dink. i also pay for hull cleaning---50 dollars every other month...seems my dead 7 yr old paint still works just fine 'n' dandy for keeping away growth and barnacles for that long. saving for haul and paint in the shrimpers yard here in old harbor, mazatlan. will use same paint as the shrimpers use.
They know everthing except"cant you ride your dink to a "free beach" if you were inclined to do so"?...just wondering...what would your free options be like,if any? Crazy people?family beach? DVC
Old 16-12-2011, 10:17   #2465
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
They know everthing except"cant you ride your dink to a "free beach" if you were inclined to do so"?...just wondering...what would your free options be like,if any? Crazy people?family beach? DVC
50 pesos daily when i land isnt bad for me-- i use a walker bay 8 ft rowing dink, and any free beaches are a lil tad distant and not secure-- where i dock my dink daily when i land , is secure and i dont have to worry about theft. is also about half to 3/4 mile walk from centro mercado , so isnt bad for provisioning, as a pulmonia is about 50 pesos to return to the area with foods. when i buy beer for fishermen i can get a fresher than purchased fishie i can clean and cook for dinner (bubba likes that a lot).
i also get free wifi with my 50 peso fee.....isnt bad.
Old 16-12-2011, 13:49   #2466
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i am now on hook again , so is only 50 pesos (less than 5 dollars, us) daily for landing on dock with dink.

So if you go ashore 5 days/week that's $100/month. Seems a big thing for a $500/month cruiser.

Only stating it, not arguing it.
Old 16-12-2011, 14:06   #2467

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

I pay $150 per month, plus electric ($30 last month), for dockage. I'm on a lay wall, waiting for a particular boat to sell to get the slip, for the same price. Includes cable tv, wi-fi, water, and garbage pickup. And that's for liveaboard as well, though I'm not there full time.

The low price is partly because of being on the ICW without much wake protection. But I can live with that for the price.
Old 16-12-2011, 14:18   #2468

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Yeah -- "crazy glue" was actually developed to use instead of stitches for plastic surgery!

Quote:
In 1959, a variety of cyanoacrylate adhesives were developed, some types of which are now used for surgical purposes in Canada and Europe. These glues polymerize on contact with basic substances such as water or blood to form a strong bond. The first glue developed was methyl cyanoacrylate, which was studied extensively for its potential medical applications and was rejected due to its potential tissue toxicity such as inflammation or local foreign body reactions. Methyl alcohol has a short molecular chain which contributes to these complications.

Current use: Although not labeled as such, over-the-counter Super Glue products contain methyl alcohol, because it is inexpensive to produce. Cyanoacrylate cure by a chemical reaction called polymerization, which produces heat. Methyl alcohol has a pronounced heating action when it contacts tissue and may even produce burns if the glue contacts a large enough area of tissue. Rapid curing may also lead to tissue necrosis
Old 16-12-2011, 14:26   #2469

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Do you use a weight belt? I probably carry a bit too much "floatation" but I can't get negative without ballast...
I imagine that once you were out cruising (suurviving ) on 500 a month you would have used up all that flotation.
Old 16-12-2011, 17:21   #2470
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey

At the risk of stating what you probably already know, but as others may not - the idea with a weight belt is also that it can be quickly ditched. and that the quick release is in easy hand reach - without gymnastics to reach.

Not to say that can't be DIY'd. For simple bottom scrubbing depths I would go for either a Pouch belt (so can fill with whatever you want / have handy - not simply lead, lead is heavy and will be little used but still require storage) or a simple dive belt and add own pouches (only really after the quick release).
Yes. Dumping negative buoyancy is a good thing.

Also any time I do free dive on the boat I am tied off. We get 2 knot currents!
Old 16-12-2011, 17:21   #2471

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Not to say that can't be DIY'd.. . .
You assume they are D-I-Y'd - they are not. Ankle weights are mainstream diving equipment for experienced divers. I have been scuba diving since 1955. See: McNett Commercial Ankle Diving Weights 72101 with reviews at scuba.com
Old 16-12-2011, 17:53   #2472

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

[QUOTE=SunDevil;833760] That is hilarious. The sad thing is that is how I make ice during the winter.

We ran out at a party years ago while living in Cleveland. The temperature that night was more than 20 below and there was frost growing on the outside wall switch cover retaining screws. Ice trays on the porch froze in less than four minutes. We just couldn't get anyone to go get them.
Old 16-12-2011, 22:00   #2473

Boat: Newport 27 S-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
So if you go ashore 5 days/week that's $100/month. Seems a big thing for a $500/month cruiser.

Only stating it, not arguing it.
Or, you could go once a week, and sail/anchor out the rest of the time exploring the Mexico coastline and spend $20.
Old 16-12-2011, 23:17   #2474

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

[QUOTE=Nicholson58;839693]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
That is hilarious. The sad thing is that is how I make ice during the winter.

We ran out at a party years ago while living in Cleveland. The temperature that night was more than 20 below and there was frost growing on the outside wall switch cover retaining screws. Ice trays on the porch froze in less than four minutes. We just couldn't get anyone to go get them.
Wow, 20 below must be a lot colder in Cleveland then up north here in Alberta! 4 minutes to make ice cubes? Really.
Old 16-12-2011, 23:22   #2475

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

Not sure why you would want to stay in place like old harbor for very long,then paying 50 pesos to land?It was only 30 in Cabo and 20 in Lapaz.Go to a nice anchorage instead, land dinghy for free,water is clean,dive/clean own boat,and theft is almost nonexistant because there is noone around for miles.For 500 pesos per month you can get Telcel 3G,works miles from shore,wifi not necessary.
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising