Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average. Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 10:29   #2326

Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

You would need a little bit of money stashed away for medical emergencies if you aren't from a country with universal health insurance. I will pay the money to get my teeth fixed quickly though.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:41   #2327

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
( I asked for an alternative to stitches and they used "steri-strips) I started to think more about my medical supplies. You can equip a small hospital fairly cheaply on e-bay.
I am sure you can buy outdated steri-strips that may or may not stick.

If not, you are back to duct tape.
Old 06-12-2011, 16:09   #2328

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Ahhhh ! Duct tape: The poor mans band aid...
Old 06-12-2011, 16:33   #2329

Boat: Tartan 30

I got some veterinary sutures sterile packed with the needle. And some Celox, for major bleeders. You never know... I keep the boat knives pretty sharp
Old 06-12-2011, 19:44   #2330
cruiser

Boat: Pegasus 45 25 Tons, "Pegasus"

Velocir, an Albin Vega sloop - 30' LOA with Grant and Amelia aboard
stopped at the Cocoa Town docks Yesterday.
Their budget is $500 / month. Amelia admits that keeping to the budget requires
effort. But the alternative is giving up their dream of sailing the Pacific.

The boat is extremely simple the couple claims. No watermaker, no fridge paper charts and a GPS make up their nav dept.

If they can do it, so can you.

INDY
Old 06-12-2011, 19:45   #2331

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
. . . The tooth repair thing is something I would be seriously looking at - a constant toothache is a debilitating thing.........
If you have a Dentist who is also your friend and is excited about your being able to set sail for places unknown - he will tell you how to deal with dental pain - Oil of Clove - it will deaden the pain until you can get to shore and a dentist.

- - For minor lacerations - cut fingers, etc. the modern miracle method - cyanoacrylate - otherwise known as "crazy glue." Close the wound and apply some over the cut to hold the skin together. Beats "duct tape."
Old 06-12-2011, 20:24   #2332
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
The Thread is titled "Cruising . . ." - to me that translates to an actual moving boat and the expenses involved underway and when visiting various ports/places.

- - That doesn't mean that discussions and ideas on how to started and underway with acquiring a boat aren't very worthwhile. - That subject is closely allied but unfortunately contains way too many variables from boat size to age to re-fitting the boat.

- - Likewise, it is pretty much a given that marinas and berthing and insurance (boat and/or health) are not in the realm of keeping the cruising budget under $500/month. Who would insure a $5000, $500 or free boat anyway? In the USA Medicare is not free, it and the associated supplementals have premiums that must be paid - and costs me almost $500/month.

- - But I would say the $500/month should be for an open-ended period of time, not just a year or two or few while on a "fancy" boat that does not really need any expensive stuff for its first few years.

- - If I remember correctly - boatman61 listed some free anchorage areas in the Med and around Europe. Finding them is the secret to being able to maintain cruising on a minimalist budget. I don't think you could anchor free, if at all, in the Thames while visiting London, but you must probably could anchor at some coastal area and take the train to town.

- - The point being that there are going to be obvious restrictions on where and how you cruise and they will most probably be as a result of how much energy and searching you are willing to do to find ways to do stuff without spending big bucks.
Thank you Jim for bringing things back to topic.

Cruising on a micro-budget requires discipline. I covered the basics
thoroughly on pp 28-37. If you are having a difficult time figuring out how so many are cruising this way, go back and read those pages.

Those who never have gone anywhere fret and moan about health care and food.

They forget that the whole world eats and virtually everywhere outside the USA, on a whole lot less $$.

The whole world needs medical care, and unlike the US, have public health systems which provide cheap excellent care.

I needed medical care in Ecuador, New Zealand, New Guinea, China, Namibia, and New Caledonia. In Ecuador it was restocking the medical chest with drugs and supplies for a tenth the US cost. In New Caledonia it was treating an infected coral cut, performed with a smile, gratis.
In China it was treating a very large stone in my right kidney which shut both of them down, cost $ 175. In New Zealand it was anti-malarials. In Namibia I was hospitalized for a week, cost nothing.

Were I in Thailand, I'd sign up for Bumrungrad Hospital's PPO, at $200/yr. But I'm in the states now.

In the US, now that I am approaching 65, I signed up for Medicare parts A & B for $ 95 / month and signed up for the Blue Cross Regional PPO at no additional charge.

I get dental exams, xrays, cleanings at no cost
Prescriptions by mail, no cost
Admission to the hospital $40
Emergency room visits $ 30
Routine visits to the doctor $10

Cruising on a budget requires discipline.

Remember: You must spend what you have. On a micro-budget you have lots of time and little money. Spend what you have.

INDY
Old 06-12-2011, 20:33   #2333
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Lots of things one could fix (or at least jury rig ) - but I think simply have to accept that plenty more will kill ya, that onshore would not have.

FWIW I think some sort of general medical tome would be a wise investment.....if only to read before bedtime just for the nightmares .

The tooth repair thing is something I would be seriously looking at - a constant toothache is a debilitating thing.........
Get a copy of "Where there is no doctor"

INDy
Old 06-12-2011, 20:35   #2334
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
I am talking about boat costs from *before* I start cruising (or any other costs for that matter). If you are saying I should include the boat costs I spent before I started to cruise, how many other non-cruising expenses should I include and how far back should I go. Or should I average all the costs I have spent on the boat (and any other part of my life) since I bought it into my cruising costs.
I will not include the purchase price of my boat and all the upgrades necessary to get it ready to cruise or any other costs prior to the time I leave (I will include stocking the boat and such). That said any maintenance and repairs on the boat after I have started cruising are part of the cruising costs. I am very limited on gadgets and the ones I have are just frills anyway.
As far as costs being proportional to displacement, the funky old heavy displacement boats are built more solidly that the spindly new (and expensive) production boats with much less displacement. The cheapest, real shoestring cruisers are often sailing heavy displacement boats.

This thread is about cruising not about an expensive overly extended refit of a broken boat under trying conditions.

For what you claim to have spent, you could have flown to new zealand and bought a 3 skin kauri boat. or gone to the St Michael's boat auction and bought a decent boat.

INDY
Old 06-12-2011, 20:36   #2335
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
GoPrisko - what year was it when you availed of all that free medical care overseas? I don't want to be argumentative but doctor and medical care is unlikely to be free anymore, at least where I live in Asia. Yes, self medication and treatment is cheaper as drugs cost a lot less. Hospitals and doctors may be cheaper due to lower insurance premiums and other burdens of the US health care system (dont want to start that debate at all)

Not all of us are 65 and can avail of medicare. In fact when most of us qualify it may not exist, If I read you post as "get creative" on medical care and loookmat options, I agree.

I am and will be fortunate to have good global medical insurance. Others, maybe not so. Others trying to make a $500 budget may have to treat major medical like boat insurance and go uncovered. In the spirit of $500 cruising compromises must be made. This is another compromise that $500 cruisers must evaluate.

Clearly taking care of the human machine and being as healthy as one can be though diet, exercise and lifestyle is a key factor. Obese, smoking, cruisers with chronic diseases need not apply for a $500 a month cruising budget.
Old 06-12-2011, 20:40   #2336
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
It seems to me that not including 'preparation' costs is a major cop-out to this whole thread. A person could spend the next 10 years and $100,000 preparing the 'perfect' boat, with 3x spares for everything and a year's supply of food. Then go around writing books about how they went cruising on $500 a month (yeah I'm talking about the pardeys)

Anybody can cruise on $500 a month if they already have everything taken care of before-hand. And if you have a self-built boat with all new gear, or an expensive boat, it's going to cost a lot less to operate over the next 10 years. That makes sense financially, but only if you're in a position to manage that type of EXCESS finances to begin with.

I don't see how this is relevant to low-income, low-cost living/cruising. I could easily be self-sufficient and live a nice, simple, life on a farm. But how the hell am I going to afford a farm?

If you can afford to rent an apartment and own a used car, YOU CAN GO CRUISING within the next 2 years. Ask me how.

[not talking about any person specifically, or any specific post. Just a general comment on the whole idea of this thread]
Exactly. That is the trap many who cannot and will not economize lure themselves into.

In love with their gilded toilets and unwilling to conserve water, they load their gin palaces down with every conceivable gadget and use up years of cruising funds on spares, while the health account is over drawn.

On pp 28-37 I covered refit costs for the Southern Cross 31 and later CallMeCrazy showed how to cut those costs by 80% in today's market. One of the visitors last week came up with an excellent idea for getting a cheap boat, the St. Michaels, MD semi-annual boat auction. He was at the last one and 25' ODays went for $700 and 36' sailboats for $3000.

So, it's time to get yourself in gear and find your boat this winter, outfit it this spring and get off sailing.

INDY
Old 06-12-2011, 20:45   #2337
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimusailing View Post
Whoa, whoa, whoa, Gprisko is right. You can find a boat for free or very little money. How you fit it out can be inexpensive or cheap and basic. If you look at craig's listfor annapolis, there is a yard on kent island disposing of 25-30 ft boats. I am sure there are others around if you take the time to forage through the boatyards. One wanted 300 bucks for a 30 ft boat that came over from Europe some time ago. It's not nice, it needs scrubbing, and some fittings, but it could be a start. I know of one 30' owner who upgraded to a 40' boat of equal fit and finish and equal money. It took some work of searching and selling, but now is a great time to get an older fiberglass boat. Not a 2005 Beneteau, but maybe an older Alberg or Allied. You don't know what's going to turn up these days. I guess this whole thread is not for the usual cruising crowd, but for the newbies who are asking how they can get into boating on a budget.
This thread is for anyone, newbie or not, who wants to learn how to sail on less.

The first thing is you need a modest, simple boat. No engine, no frills

Go back to pp 28-37 and read the posts again.

INDY
Old 06-12-2011, 20:48   #2338
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
Living in Europe, cruising for around 500 US$ is rather difficult. At todays rate that' s around 350 Euro.
Food only, for 1 person, might do. Just. Holland is expensive, England even more, France similar to Holland, only Germany is cheaper by 15% or something.
Spain is very expensive save for the alcohol.
Costs of Marina' s are crazy at least in the UK and Spain, so you need to have the knowledge of free anchor places. If you are a victim of marina's, the Club Nautico's (Spain) or the exclusive stuff in the UK (Brighton) then forget about this sort of schedule. Sweden and Denmark are even worse according to living costs.

It depends strongly where you are. Long time ago I used to cruise with my French mate in the North African waters. Some whisky that we imported from Gib bought us everything needed. Mooring at that time (1978) was absolutely free. What we had to pay was the rotting smell of fish that spoiled the fresh air in the harbour.

I could moore in Holland for free. But leaving the boat unattended with al its costly gear is a non-calculated risk.
You are in denial. Boatman lives in Europe and on a very modest budget

But telling all and sundry that they cannot do what you will not is a bit much don't you think? You turn your nose up at mooring your boat. Because there is lots of expensive gear on it. So strip it out! Get rid of all that stuff! Sell it and put the money into the cruising kitty, and go sailing!

Stop bitching and get on with it.

INDY
Old 06-12-2011, 20:56   #2339
cruiser

Quote:
These are just a few that I've seen on craigslist THIS WEEK.

32ft Sailboat great live aboard

This Cape Dory 28 Sailboat combined with this Farymann 12HP Diesel Inboard Engine 1000 obo (or even a cheaper outboard+bracket)

This 28' Comar Sailboat For Sale

this 1973 Morgan Racer/ Cruiser

This 31 foot seafarer fun n fast

And this doesn't count the sub-27 footers and the 'marginal' boats I wouldn't consider. The Ericson 29 across the slip from me just sold for $350 at auction, with good sails and a solid rig/hull (no motor).

These are all just within the PAST WEEK in my local area. These types of boats are everywhere, and they are only getting cheaper.

Yes they need work, but they don't need complete refits. You can refit a 'working' boat WHILE YOU CRUISE, over the course of many years. It doesn't matter if you put $50k into it, as long as you're out there cruising while you do it

All these boats are bluewater capable. They take a little work, but the parts can be cheap and you can still go sailing and enjoy the life while you're working on them. You can't do that building you're own boat! Yes, if you build one, you'd end up with a much better boat. But, you could spend the same amount of time saving money and just buy a boat ready to go! If you want to build a boat, build one. If you want to go sailing/cruising, get a cheap boat and go. It doesn't take a 20ton 40 footer with a full keel to cross an ocean. I wouldn't want to do it in a Hunter 27, but there are MANY production boats that are fully capable of making passages and, with a little upgrading, extended cruising...

Every one of the boats above can easily be had for less than $5000 (or less) purchase, then another $5k in refits (over time).

I paid $4k for mine, and have yet to put another $3k into it. I'd estimate I have about $3k to go before I'm comfortable. And I'm really not the most adventurous type of person. I like comfort... None of the work that needs to be done, is necessary yet. I can still sail south and hit my next destination if I wanted to. But, just for clarity, I'm staying put, on purpose, so I can have nice things.

I use $5000 as a base price a lot because that is the average a 'normal' person can save up in a year's time making $10 an hour and renting a cheap apartment in the US. It's perfectly reasonable to save $5000 a year. I can save $5000 in 7-8 months... It's not that difficult to use this number to plan for a cruising. $5k for the boat. $5k for the refit, over the course of a year. Then $5k for (a minimum) of 6 months cruising at a time. That's much more than $500 a month cruising budget. Stretch it out to $500 a month and you got almost a year... Work 6 months, cruise 6 months. That is how the seasons work anyway!

If you don't have to live on $500 a month, would you still do it? All these people that have spent $50k on their boats, and then go out and cruise on $500 a month, are doing it all backwards IMO. They could have spent $10k on the boat, and went cruising on $1000 a month for the next 6 years!

what is everyone so afraid of?
I can tell you. Because I overcame it years ago.

They are afraid... afraid.... they have learned to fear, fear itself.

Unlike FDR who told the nation that it had nothing to "fear, except fear itself" , they elected GWB, who told them to "fear everything"

So, they try to overcome their fear with gadgets. Not for them to go club sailing and get experience.. NO SIR! NOT FOR ME!!

I'm going to have my gin palace or nothing... no matter how long it takes...

Pfoohie! Go sailing! Get some sea miles under your belt. Learn what you need and don't by going with little and learning by doing.

Read pp 28-37 again, and again, until you get it. In those pages we discussed the good old boats, what you need, how much it costs, and what you don't.

INDY
Old 06-12-2011, 21:00   #2340
cruiser

Quote:
Location is very important. I don't know much about Europe, but there's a reason the budget cruisers all congregate in Guatemala, Panama, Venezuala, and Columbia, instead of BVI, Bahamas, and Cancun.... There's cheap places mixed in with the expensive places everywhere on the planet. Plan ahead...
I lived in the Virgin Islands for 2 years after returning from Africa.

My budget was dictated by Social Security. That's what I had. We cruised down island every year. Fixed the boat. Paid for the wife's very expensive medical license exams, study materials, etc.

You can anchor in a sufficiently large enough number of anchorages for free. Food can be found at modest cost, if you look around and use your imagination in the galley.

Same with the other places.

INDY
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising