Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average. Display Modes
Old 18-06-2011, 09:22   #1681

Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

On land the financial planners remind people about "The Latte Factor" costs as they go about their day. When cruising on a budget in popular grounds I think one has to be aware more of The Lunch Factor. Though truth be told while I can resist the Cheesburger in Paradise syndrome I will head to shore for a good Conch Burger most anyday.
Old 18-06-2011, 09:26   #1682

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
+1 !

Salt water pump in the galley would be almost a must have for offshore passages. Along with manual pumped fresh water, foot pump is great, electric pump definitely turned off. Atlantic crossing eastbound amount of water I drank probably halved after getting out of the tropics up to about 38 N. Plus funnel and bucket to catch rain off the mainsail, single reef would pour straight into the funnel.

Where did you tie in the salt water pump on your boat? I have a seacock that is used to drain the galley sink and another to supply the engine. I could tee into either one and use the cockpit drains for the galley sink instead.
What pump do you recommend? I have a hand pump that came with the boat I could install and use in the galley and a fresh water foot pump in the floor already.
Old 18-06-2011, 10:04   #1683
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
Where did you tie in the salt water pump on your boat? I have a seacock that is used to drain the galley sink and another to supply the engine. I could tee into either one and use the cockpit drains for the galley sink instead.
What pump do you recommend? I have a hand pump that came with the boat I could install and use in the galley and a fresh water foot pump in the floor already.
Both fresh and sea water are whale something or other foot pumps, another one pumps out the sink. The seawater has it's own seacock. Really makes a massive difference, for washing dishes then a litle fresh rinse. Also good for washing rice, use as much as you want

Marine : Whale Pumps 12V Henderson Plumbing Bilge Diaphragm Submersible Pressure Water Systems Marine Caravan RV Shower Drain Portable Sanitation Purging Groundwater Solutions Voltage Electric - thats the ones.
Old 18-06-2011, 11:15   #1684
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

what ever you do don't tee into the engine water intake as this invariably leads to suction problems on the engine side of things.

better to tee in to the sink drain,or put another skin fitting in.

foot pumps work best as it leaves you with 2 hands to wash with!!!!
Old 18-06-2011, 11:27   #1685

Boat: Tartan 30

A bucket works in both directions.
Old 18-06-2011, 13:26   #1686

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
what ever you do don't tee into the engine water intake as this invariably leads to suction problems on the engine side of things.

better to tee in to the sink drain,or put another skin fitting in.

foot pumps work best as it leaves you with 2 hands to wash with!!!!
Good point! I agree. We have a separate salt water tap for washing dishes at the sink as well, but had no room to conveniently mount a foot pump. There was also the problem in rough seas of standing on one foot, while pumping with the other. For these reasons I got a "toe" pump, (I think they call it). It has a 2" disk that you turn 1/4 turn, counter clockwise, to get it to pop up for pumping. When done, push it down and 1/4 turn clockwise, and it recesses flush again.

I mounted it in the counter front rather than the floor. This way you have both hands for washing, both feet for standing, and pump salt water with your hip. Sounds weird I know, but it works.

Another... When on the hook, we catch some rain off of the bimini into 2.5 gallon jugs, as many do, but the easy surplus fresh water after a good rain, (Rare as it is where we've been), is in the dinghy. We take this as a big freebee, and wash clothes with it...

M.
Old 18-06-2011, 15:12   #1687

Boat: O'Day 28
Cool Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

Quote:
,or put another skin fitting in

It hurts to read this.

Just me?

I get your point about not teeing off the sw intake. I had been thinking what a convenient thruhull to tee into. So there's a screwup avoided. Tanks
Old 18-06-2011, 15:35   #1688

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
How so atoll? Not enough suction on the engine side when both are open or drawing? I'm curious because this is the way mine is set up and so far no problems, but I haven't had the boat that long. The boat was previously Hal Roth's and its his setup. He was a big believer in the smallest number of thru hulls possible for obvious reasons. Nice picture of the set up in his book "How to Sail Around the World". He also had a Y-value on the engine intake that allowed him to draw from the bilge effectively make the engine another emergency bilge pump.
Old 18-06-2011, 15:37   #1689

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
A bucket works in both directions.

No argument about your current strategy or the bucket.

The idea is to live inexpensively but not without a certain elan.

Compared to a bucket, even a sea water pump is luxury.

Solar Shower? Not after you switch to a garden sprayer.

There was a poster last week I recall that said he'd/she'd never shower from a garden sprayer. Un huh, I'd like to get a bet on that.

On my boat, dink,etc, all systems are more or less improving all the time.

This isn't just about DOING IT!, cuz man, it's been done.

Bucket and chuckit?

It starts with a toilet seat on the bucket. Soon you're looking at composting or whatever. I'm looking at that. Can't be hard to make a toilet that doesn't flush.

Old 18-06-2011, 15:43   #1690

Here's another cheap (free) trick for treating polluted water at sea. I've used it here in Thailand many times and so far it's been 100% effective.

Solar water disinfection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 18-06-2011, 16:02   #1691

Soooo, Commordore Doodles has Whisper. I'd like to get a true count of the # of readers who have no idea who Hal Roth is. I already know the # who don't care: all of 'em.

What a loss of tradition and history is going on as the young sailors coming up don't share a common knowledge as they continue to shun the great sailing tales most of us have read. Not to learn how to sail, to learn how to sail better.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. Owning Whisper almost makes Doodles a celebrity. Almost.

I don't have the heart, but someone needs to ask the Commodore why he's thinking bunchahulls these days.

Jes' sayin'
Old 18-06-2011, 16:08   #1692

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
Soooo, Commordore Doodles has Whisper. I'd like to get a true count of the # of readers who have no idea who Hal Roth [was]. I already know the # who don't care: all of 'em.
I've been on Hal Roth's boat that did the 'round the world races several times. Read his books since, what, the '60's... He died a few years ago.

So here's one you cannot count in your poll.
Old 18-06-2011, 16:17   #1693

Quote:
Soooo, Commordore Doodles has Whisper. I'd like to get a true count of the # of readers who have no idea who Hal Roth is. I already know the # who don't care: all of 'em.

What a loss of tradition and history is going on as the young sailors coming up don't share a common knowledge as they continue to shun the great sailing tales most of us have read. Not to learn how to sail, to learn how to sail better.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. Owning Whisper almost makes Doodles a celebrity. Almost.

I don't have the heart, but someone needs to ask the Commodore why he's thinking bunchahulls these days.

Jes' sayin'
Owning it just required the $$ and being in the right place at the right time ... certainly makes me nothing special. But doing the boat justice almost feels like an obligation sometimes. I've been forced away from it for the last six months so I got bored and started looking at YachtWorld too much. Mult's are nice but really not for me at this time. We'll be back on "Whisper" next month and you won't hear anymore about "bunchahulls".
Old 18-06-2011, 16:29   #1694

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
I've been on Hal Roth's boat that did the 'round the world races several times. Read his books since, what, the '60's... He died a few years ago.

So here's one you cannot count in your poll.
Correct, but as far as I know Margaret is still around. Here she is the day we hauled "Whisper" for the survey. Wonderful lady and sharp as a tack of course.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0033.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	427.6 KB
ID:	28697
Old 18-06-2011, 16:47   #1695
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
No argument about your current strategy or the bucket.

The idea is to live inexpensively but not without a certain elan.

Compared to a bucket, even a sea water pump is luxury.

Solar Shower? Not after you switch to a garden sprayer.

There was a poster last week I recall that said he'd/she'd never shower from a garden sprayer. Un huh, I'd like to get a bet on that.

On my boat, dink,etc, all systems are more or less improving all the time.

This isn't just about DOING IT!, cuz man, it's been done.

Bucket and chuckit?

It starts with a toilet seat on the bucket. Soon you're looking at composting or whatever. I'm looking at that. Can't be hard to make a toilet that doesn't flush.

ROFLMAO--i went from garden sprayer to solar shower 6 or 7 yrs ago. didnt like garden sprayer- love solar showers.
didnt like composting heads when first introduced to them 6 or 7 yrs ago--- they make no sense on a boat. stink also. besides where ye gonna put alladat sh**?? is great if ye have a farm, but if not--- wholly batman, scheetzz....yer still stuck with dispo....
i use a bucket to bring salt water on board not to put anything in sea lol
we all have our own quirks....i have 5 whale gusher pumps for foot pump additions when and where i want them added ...eventually--until then, i will continue to bring salt water on board with my 3 gallon feed buckets.
mine are gurlee colorz..LOL
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising