Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average. Display Modes
Old 26-02-2011, 11:00   #1111

Boat: Tartan 30
Re: Cruising on $500 per Month....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
If you cruise on a micro budget, a weekly wipedown is no hardship in warm climes. I'm in the water all the time anyway; it takes 10-15 min on a small boat. The biggest key is to invest in a real boarding ladder. Those plastic contraptions have no place on a cruising boat. You won't get off if it's hard to get back on. I dive on my anchor(s), every time, and often pick up dinner as a bonus. You've seen my boat: it's the one anchored way the hell away from the social raft-up. This is why the budget cruiser sports a real rowing dinghy as well.

I was planning on getting this rope ladder and this rubber raft to use for a dinghy

I figure if the dingy lasts 1 year. I could replace it every year for the next 8 years before I spent the same on a west marine inflatable that wouldn't last 8 years anyway But honestly, I suspect it will last more than a year.

I ran across a fiberglass rowing dink for $100 last year, but couldn't buy it at the time since I had nowhere to put and no boat yet. But if I ever run across that deal again, I'll be sure to snatch it up.
Old 26-02-2011, 11:01   #1112

Boat: Seidelmann, S37' 1985
Send a message via Skype™ to dockbumdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Eyes View Post
I'd cut the sail maintenance and haulout costs in half and give alchohol its own category with a $50/month budget.

I'm not talking from experience, I just like to drink
I take it you arrived!, and Have internet access.
Well down, BrightEyes.

Old 26-02-2011, 11:56   #1113

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Cruising on $500 per Month....

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
I was planning on getting this rope ladder and this rubber raft to use for a dinghy

I figure if the dingy lasts 1 year. I could replace it every year for the next 8 years before I spent the same on a west marine inflatable that wouldn't last 8 years anyway But honestly, I suspect it will last more than a year.
YOU ARE CRAZY ... uh, I mean, hey Callmecrazy, I couldn't have navigated that "ladder" when I was a young stud. You will see quickly what I mean. But I'd rather see you get that than the "rubber" raft.

I say, without fear of contradiction, that the raft will NOT last a year of cruising use. I doubt it would hold up a month of daily use, if only because you will get so disgusted with patching it, and babying it, and having a wet butt, that you will cut it to shreds in anger with that rigging knife you don't own yet. But I suspect you're a hardcore guy, so: you buy it and show me with digital photos that it lasted a year of more or less daily use, and I will buy you a new one. Note I haven't yet mentioned a lack of performance.

Real inflatables are wonderful things. Great for buzzing around and diving from but they don't row (at least most of us wouldn't try it a second time) so you have to have an outboard. You will then own two of the most desirable and easy-to-steal items on any coast worldwide. Only rich folks can afford these because they can afford to replace them when damaged or stolen. Rich folks have insurance, us po fok doan.

Search the dinghy threads. Free plans abound on the net. And $3-400 US will build a good one. You'll want good oars too. I'm partial to the Chameleon nester from Danny Greene ($35 plans) but there is a guy here in NC offering cheap plans on the net for a light weight nesting dink. Catspaw, I think is the name. And don't go nuts on the finish coats. The uglier your dink, the longer you'll own it. And lock it and oars every time you can.
Old 26-02-2011, 13:13   #1114

Quote:
YOU ARE CRAZY ... uh, I mean, hey Callmecrazy, I couldn't have navigated that "ladder" when I was a young stud. You will see quickly what I mean. But I'd rather see you get that than the "rubber" raft.

I say, without fear of contradiction, that the raft will NOT last a year of cruising use. I doubt it would hold up a month of daily use, if only because you will get so disgusted with patching it, and babying it, and having a wet butt, that you will cut it to shreds in anger with that rigging knife you don't own yet. But I suspect you're a hardcore guy, so: you buy it and show me with digital photos that it lasted a year of more or less daily use, and I will buy you a new one. Note I haven't yet mentioned a lack of performance.

Real inflatables are wonderful things. Great for buzzing around and diving from but they don't row (at least most of us wouldn't try it a second time) so you have to have an outboard. You will then own two of the most desirable and easy-to-steal items on any coast worldwide. Only rich folks can afford these because they can afford to replace them when damaged or stolen. Rich folks have insurance, us po fok doan.

Search the dinghy threads. Free plans abound on the net. And $3-400 US will build a good one. You'll want good oars too. I'm partial to the Chameleon nester from Danny Greene ($35 plans) but there is a guy here in NC offering cheap plans on the net for a light weight nesting dink. Catspaw, I think is the name. And don't go nuts on the finish coats. The uglier your dink, the longer you'll own it. And lock it and oars every time you can.
I know it sounds crazy, and believe me when I say I've heard it all before. But as usual, I wonder if anybody that has actually used this particular boat, would say the same thing. I've used this boat, same brand, same model, to go down 10 miles of rocky river 3 different times one summer not too long ago (and I believe it went down a few more times without me that same summer, who knows how many times the summer after that)... Believe me, its not one of those 'toy' inflatables made out of single layer vinyl and it's not even as cheap as those sevylor fishing rafts.... These things are made with the same PVC material your typical west marine raft uses. It's very rigid, and a very tough multi-layer construction. All three times on that river we were literally scraping along jagged rocks for hundreds of yards at times, with narry a leak... So I wonder how that compares to coming along side a dock or bouncing onto a soft beach once or twice a day... I suspect it will succumb to UV deterioration, or maybe a sharp object type of puncture, long before it simply dies from regular usage.

But of course, I could be wrong since my experience is so limited I'll certainly be keeping a sharp eye out for a good deal on a real dink, like the $100 fiberglass one I mentioned.

West Marine Dinghy $750 - "Dual inflation chambers are covered with PVC-coated, 1100-decitex polyester fabric with strong, heat-welded seams."

Intex 'marine' inflatable $120 - "Two outer layers of heavy-gauge PVC are laminated to an inner layer of polyester mesh (1000 Denier)." and that is 3 inflation chambers and heat welded seams as well.

I'll let you know how it's going after a few months
Old 26-02-2011, 13:34   #1115
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well I've got to say it'll do you just fine...
I bought a similar low budget inflatable for my Hunter 37 prior to my crossing to Europe... though mine was a fishing version with optional extras like Bimini's etc... the freeboard and bow were a bit higher too...
butshe served me well in the ICW... got me to the Back St Pub in Beaufort regularly...
sat on the roof all the way over then served me well again till I sold the boat.. looked more like a beach dinghy and a sure fire conversation maker....
"Where the hell didja buy THAT....??"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fore deck work.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	24245  
Attached Images

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 26-02-2011, 16:08   #1116

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:

I ran across a fiberglass rowing dink for $100 last year, but couldn't buy it at the time since I had nowhere to put and no boat yet. But if I ever run across that deal again, I'll be sure to snatch it up.
I agree with tgzzz on the dink but you don't have much to lose as you say. Just carry plenty of patch supplies and the pump wherever you go.

As for the ladder, $22 isn't much but you can makes these easily. Mine I made many years ago from the Marlinspike Sailor book I think but I'm sure instructions are on the internet somewhere.
Old 26-02-2011, 20:27   #1117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
I agree with tgzzz...
Damn I like the sound of that.

Well, Boater and CMCrazy, it's obviously better built than I suspected but as Doodles noted, carry that patch kit and pump. But I'm really betting on no one being willing to row any inflatable for a year. I mean, why would you?

OK, I can see Boater61 possibly putting up with an inflatable because he's patently elderly and likely quite frail. But even he can put an inflatable on the cabintop as he has documented for us. A Guinness says he turned it over and used it as as a soak tub all the way across the pond.

Still, most of us ...er.. more vital types can handle at least half of a nesting dink. But beyond the weight/stowage issues, a real dink is worth the extra hassle in terms of carrying, say, a charmed young woman out to the boat to see your etchings, holding scuba gear, hauling water as a liquid or a solid, sight-fishing for dinner along the mangroves standing up; it's far more efficient to move, to tow, to maintain.

And, ahem, the raft is not Bristol fashion. Limited funds doesn't mean we can't be as seamanlike as the doughboys.

Jus sayin'.
Old 26-02-2011, 21:00   #1118

Boat: Freedom 40

I actually think, that 500$ per month is a lot of money, which allows you a decent life style on a comfortable boat.
Perhaps there are some poeople here who are interested in a different approach than saving money at any cost.
There are always two sides to a coin - if you want to survive in the cold you can cover yourself in blankets and move as little as possible to avoid losing energy or you go and look for something to burn.
It's the same with low budget sailing.
For those who are interested, I will try to point out a few rules, ideas and experiences, which worked for me for many years.

1. It seems that a lot of people here trying to be a low budget sailor in first world countries. With 500 bucks a miserable life style is guaranteed. The only reason to stay in such a country would be that you are working, and the salary outweighs your costs at least at a factor of 5.
The best value boats are not available there. Take the worn out wreck you've got for next to nothing and bring it to the next cruising hot spot, e.g Trinidad. The fight against the cold is already over. Loads of working possibilies for good money, loads of rich yachties who throw away or give away for next to nothing, working equipment - I still have some material left on Freedom Fargo which I collected from the bins in my 9 month stay 10 years ago. Trinidad is one of these places, where "would like to be circumnavigators" give up after the first long passage, selling their boats far below value.

2. It's a lot cheaper if you're physicly fit. Scraping the bottom of a 40footer free diving is a good measure if you are - in my calculation there is no space for health insurance and the well paid jobs on the boat yards are physicly demanding as well...of course in combination with superiour knowledge, understanding and reliability. Otherwise someone can employ a local for a friction of the cost.
My point is, that I can earn 25$ an hour in such a place but, how many days do I have to eat beans to save 25$?

To be continued if there is demand
Old 26-02-2011, 21:10   #1119

Send a message via AIM to meburma Send a message via Yahoo to meburma Send a message via Skype™ to meburma
Please continue.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers
Old 27-02-2011, 19:30   #1120

Excellent post CaptainAlf. message received...

tgzzz, I whole heartedly agree with you. But the point is, If you don't have $500 to spend, there are other options to consider... If I can spend $100 now and get a dingy that will last until the day I find that much more reasonable $200 fiberglass dink, then that is a considerable investment. It is not false economy, even though that $100 rubber dingy isn't quite as nice as the $700 equivalents.

the other point, and I hope the point that is most taken... Is that there is always another solution. You can come to this forum and do all the searches you want... you can search google, you can search everything you can possibly search on the internet, but nobody, not a single person, is going to recommend that boat to be used as a dingy.. but the fact remains, it will work just fine.... so what is the point???? thinking for yourself, doing your own research and absolutely defying the common thought process is an essential part of being a micro-budget cruiser
Old 27-02-2011, 20:22   #1121

Quote:
... it will work just fine.... so what is the point???? thinking for yourself, doing your own research and absolutely defying the common thought process is an essential part of being a micro-budget cruiser

I hear you sir. Guess many of us would counsel you to not reinvent the wheel. Obviously you don't share my opinion of the value of a proper dink.
So how about this: Send me the $121 if you've changed your opinion on this in a year.
Old 27-02-2011, 20:40   #1122

Quote:
I hear you sir. Guess many of us would counsel you to not reinvent the wheel. Obviously you don't share my opinion of the value of a proper dink.
So how about this: Send me the $121 if you've changed your opinion on this in a year.

only if you'll send me $121 if I haven't

And to be clear, I do actually share you're opinion. The issue is not having the immediate finances to afford such an opinion. I have a need for a proper dingy, but not the means, so a median must be met....
Old 27-02-2011, 21:02   #1123

Yeah. One thing I know is waiting around for every thing to be just right guarantees you won't go.

Go.
Old 27-02-2011, 21:58   #1124

Send a message via Yahoo to joey69

dinghy's on CL for $100.00

craigslist.org - Google Search
Old 27-02-2011, 22:21   #1125

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

I have both a zodiac and fiberglass the zodiac blows up in 15 mins is ready to use with outboard, Fiberglass 80kg takes 3 to lift (I dont have a spinnaker pole ) massive problems to get in and out but its fantastic to row and goes twice as fast with the outboard. like everything theirs advantages and disadvantages.
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising