Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average. Display Modes
Old 27-05-2010, 21:08   #301
cruiser

Boat: Pegasus 45 25 Tons, "Pegasus"
An Ethos...

Movements of the Stoic type are in fact very common in civilizations that have passed the Hubbert peak of their own core resource base. There’s good reason for that. In a contracting economy, it becomes easier to notice that the less you need, the less vulnerable you are to the ups and downs of fortune, and the more you can get done of whatever it is that you happen to want to do. That’s an uncongenial lesson at the best of times, and during times of material abundance you won’t find many people learning it. Still, in the world after abundance, it’s hard to think of a lesson that deserves more careful attention. From The World After Abundance by John Michael Greer

The man who needs or wants to cruise on a shoestring... must be a stoic.. and the philosophies which sustained the stoics are applicable.

INDY
Old 31-05-2010, 15:04   #302
cruiser

Commercial composters are a huge ripoff, grossly overpriced. I can build one for under $100. Anything which doesn't leave my hull is none of the coastguard's business or jurisdiction. It's overboard discharge that's illegal. No overboard discharge, no laws broken.
Old 31-05-2010, 15:42   #303

We're also on a small budget. We have $500 a month to cover all our expenses, including food, customs fees and repairs.

The above is a quote from the April "changes in latitudes".From the couple sailing a CSK33 named Aita Pe'ape'a.
I think they have been cruising on this budget since Jan 09 and are currently in the South Pacific.
So....it can be done...
Old 31-05-2010, 23:38   #304
cruiser

Do It Yourself..........

Do It Yourself or DIY is the budget cruisers essential tool.

From an earlier post, a home made composting toilet would seem but a mod on my
proposal to use cat litter to dessicate the deposit, absorb urine, and kill odors....

The same goes for every system on the boat... keep them simple and robust AND

BE SURE YOU CAN MAINTAIN THEM !!!! YOUR SELF !!!!

Go back to my proforma budget... it is not gospel... begin there.. prioritize... there are
things you may want to allocate more funds for,, and things you find superfluous.. You decide, not me, you live with it, not me..

But, I have shown that the numbers add up.. it is possible... if the boat is kept within the size range, and kept simple.

INDY
Old 31-05-2010, 23:42   #305
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonam View Post
We're also on a small budget. We have $500 a month to cover all our expenses, including food, customs fees and repairs.

The above is a quote from the April "changes in latitudes".From the couple sailing a CSK33 named Aita Pe'ape'a.
I think they have been cruising on this budget since Jan 09 and are currently in the South Pacific.
So....it can be done...
Note the boat is a 33 ft LOA design... within our range of 28 - 34 ft..

Don't fall into the trap of a big boat... Put the boat on a diet... use the saved funds for excursions, and fun !!!! You are not going off across the Prairie on the Oregon Trail... You should be going off to meet and interact with the natives...

INDY
Old 31-05-2010, 23:46   #306
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonam View Post
So....it can be done...
Its noted on their blog they were in the cyclone area during the Cyclone season

"As some of you may know, the South Pacific had its first cyclone of the season. It passed directly over Fiji, where
some damage was caused. Luckily, cyclone Mick passed south of us."

I hope its because they wanted to be there, not forced by finances to be there.

http://tristanandmindy.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2010-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&updated-max=2011-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&max-results=8

But, yes, it can be done.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 31-05-2010, 23:48   #307
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Commercial composters are a huge ripoff, grossly overpriced. I can build one for under $100. Anything which doesn't leave my hull is none of the coastguard's business or jurisdiction. It's overboard discharge that's illegal. No overboard discharge, no laws broken.
After the war, I tired of meaningless drills at the Naval Reserve designed to help me kill people more effectively. I transferred to the Coast Guard Reserve... In those days, we carried smiles and clipboards.. and enforced the law tolerantly....

Then Reagan came in and turned the USCG into a waterborne gestapo...

Outside US waters, life goes on pretty much as it did before Reagan.. if you are tired of the hassle, try the Bahamas, or Central America, not too far away.. far from the madding crowd...

INDY
Old 31-05-2010, 23:52   #308
cruiser

Turkey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
We were at Effes (Ephuses) the other day and I took this photo of a chic on the commode.

Now if they could invent the dunny and have it working as a multi-potter in 550 BC why they hell are you lot going back to a BUCKET???

Any person with only a bucket on board must be, and will continue to be, single!

Crusing may be different for different folks but really.... come on board our boat and take a visit to 2 propper heads! Aaaaaand you can flush your toilet paper too!

Mark
Looks like a beautiful place... where would one anchor? Is there public transport? Can one camp nearby? Is there a market? Bank?

INDY
Old 01-06-2010, 00:25   #309

Boat: Miura 30.5ft
Cruising southern african Islands would be your answer. $500 is a fortune here. I'll give you an idea. I spend 400 us in a month, that includes drinks at least every weekend, eating out twice a month and decent food. My boat is currently out the water for repairs. I am doing most of the work myself and the cost of haul out so far was $150. Parts are the broblem but I order over the net. It takes time to arrive but that I have. Plent other work to be done while I wait. People are generally very friendly and I will recommend cruising african countries. It is just South Africa that have high marina costs but some clubs give you a 30day free mooring while cruising.
Most items you ever need will be availible in South Africa. Many international yacht biulders there. I think for $500 us You will cruise in style!!!!
Old 01-06-2010, 00:42   #310

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC
On working out my budget plans for cruising when new boat is finished, I can easily be happy on $500 per month. And Heidi will be happy with about $2000 for herself.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:23   #311

Boat: Building 31 ft cat
Send a message via ICQ to cliffdykes
Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie View Post
Cruising southern african Islands would be your answer. $500 is a fortune here. I'll give you an idea. I spend 400 us in a month, that includes drinks at least every weekend, eating out twice a month and decent food. My boat is currently out the water for repairs. I am doing most of the work myself and the cost of haul out so far was $150. Parts are the broblem but I order over the net. It takes time to arrive but that I have. Plent other work to be done while I wait. People are generally very friendly and I will recommend cruising african countries. It is just South Africa that have high marina costs but some clubs give you a 30day free mooring while cruising.
Most items you ever need will be availible in South Africa. Many international yacht biulders there. I think for $500 us You will cruise in style!!!!
I'm intrigued -so where exactly are you?

Cheers
Cliff
Old 01-06-2010, 03:41   #312

At the momentWalvis Bay Namibia. Commercial harbour so commercial products availible, no fancy expensive yachty brands. Unfortunately no yacht parts or expetise in the field of sailing. You have to order. Big safe bay with good anchoring. yacht club with cheap beer and great people.

Madagsacar you can get away even cheaper. Just stay away from the touristy places! We Use to catch fish at night and then trade it for fruit the next day. Allways had enough to eat. Biggest expense was beer! Night life on weekends in Nose Be =great even if you cant speak french. You get corrupt officials but a packet of smokes usually solves the problem. I have had more anal officials in Aus and NZ than any african country.

Comoros... did not go ashore there but similar setup than Madagascar. Stay away from the large cities and touristy places and you will have no problems.

Funny how the cities turn on crime...Must be the loss of your individuality.

Did not spent much time in Tanzania but Kenya was great. Good anchorages in the wasim cchannel... Massive boabab trees and also nice people.
Old 01-06-2010, 14:12   #313
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie View Post
AND......

I hear the coasts of Angola and Mozambique are beautiful !!
I very much enjoyed the coast of Madagascar, at one anchorage we traded fish hooks for a 10 kg lobster !

The South Africans cannot do enough for you !!

Don't forget the club at Saldanha Bay... lovely spot, great people...!!

INDY
Old 01-06-2010, 14:17   #314
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Some Swiss friends sailed down to the Gambia 18mths ago... they're still there.. they love it...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
Old 02-06-2010, 00:10   #315

I get the idea that most people tent to go the caribean and med. For the budget criuser it is just not affordable...although I have never been there myself I read between the lines. I think my next stop will be St Helena island and from there back down the african coast. How expensive is cruising South America? I reckon I'll end up going back to Madagascar. Want to check out the South Western part. Rumours of good surf there. Mozambique...Well... I heard many complaints about the area around Maputo...Theft a big problem even when anchored miles out in the bay. I hear Angola is stunning but not very tourist friendly. Portuguese or spanish a must. Heard losts of stories of armed (oficial army? or not) boarding and refusing to leave without money. Maybe these guys had a flash boat and looked rich. Big fancy boats attract attention. Smaller older rust buckets would not encounter half the problems I think. I still think Africa is one of the only places left where us poor sailors can go on a small budget and the thing is...we have even greater adventures in these relatively "uncruised" areas P.S. Angola has very cheap diesel, just make sure you carry spare filters as I hear it is sometimes not that clean. Price is about $0.50 per liter.
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising