Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average. Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 12:41   #2821

Boat: Tartan 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi

One thing is sure: in the Bahamas the $500.- is not gonna get you far. Four cases of Kalik may be. You should seriously consider to stay in the FL keys or to continue to the DR or that very big island in between.

ciao!
Nick.
You obviously haven't watched the 'Hold Fast' video . Search for it on vimeo (I don't have the link on hand)

2 seasons in the Bahamas with 4 people aboard and they still maintained less than $500 a month...
Old 11-01-2012, 12:43   #2822

Boat: Pearson Ariel 264
Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

The Florida Keys might be where I end up in the end. I lived on my Cal 29 in Marathon some 11yrs ago. Might only get in a month or so of Bahama island life this year before the hurricanes chase me out. Will pick up a job during hurricane season to top of the kitty and hopefully get in a full Bahama season the following year. Either way I will be on my boat out there having the time of my life. I dont know what my budget will be but whateverit is the goal is to spend it effeciently and get the best bang for my buck.
Old 11-01-2012, 14:07   #2823
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
Upholstery is another point. That one is not easy to get hold of.
Upholstery that fits exactly is nice ...........but not strictly essential - whether that be from another boat or a caravan / RV.

Semi tailored throwovers also are a quick way to smarten up upholstery that simply looks rubbish (or not to taste!), even if fundamently Ok (at least for a while - until budget / sewing skills permit).
Old 11-01-2012, 14:24   #2824

I found a big bin full of sunbrella covered outdoor cushions and pillows at a thrift store a few weeks ago. ended up getting 3 throw pillows an a bench cushion for about $15
I got the bench cushion for the cockpit (fits perfectly athwart behind the wheel where I usually sit on a cooler), but I'm also using it to add a little extra padding to where I always sit in the cabin...and, being as I always sit in the same place, usually wearing jeans, the existing upholstry is already wearing thin. So this will protect both my bum and the cushions from now on

Interior cushions don't need be any special type of foam or fabric. Get the materials on ebay, or somewhere cheap, and find someone to sew them up (or DIY).

Also, when I made the insert cushion for the V-berth, I used the poly foam out of another outdoor cushion found at a thrift store, and some fabric from walmart. I just screwed the fabric down to the underside of the plywood with little brass screws.

It's not very professional but it works
Old 11-01-2012, 14:41   #2825

Boat: csy 37

some cushion suggestions, based on my own experience.

for cockpit cushions, go to an outdoor furniture store or department. our cockpit cushions are a couple of years old now and still very serviceable, cost under $40.

our interior cushions are well made but old and somewhat worn. i bought canvas drop cloths at home depot, then had a seamstress sew up giant drawstring bags. i had to measure each of the ten cushions in the boat so that each drawstring bag is matched to each cushion. have had them for a year now and they are wearing really good, and also keeping the original fabric clean. they don't fit snugly but they serve their purpose. be sure to wash the fabric before giving it to the seamstress so they are pre-shrunk. you can take them off anytime and throw them in a washing machine when they get dirty. and being off white they really brighten up my otherwise dark interior.

on a smaller boat i had years ago the cushions all had plywood backing. i just bought new material, cut it to fit, and stapled it to the plywood backing. real cheap, quick, and easy. something like 'callmecrazy' suggests.
Old 11-01-2012, 17:19   #2826

Boat: 33ft sloop

I am in line with callmecrazy and onestepcsy37. It is no use to spent a considerable lot of money for which I rather would buy other things.

But maybe it is interesting how I had done the upgrading of NEALA so far. She is l.o.a. 33 ft, originally ketch rigged. If I am going to return to the original rig I doubt, although the sails are good enough and hardly used.
I started to throw the old engine out and installed a new one with 300 hrs and in the process renewed gland and drivetrain. NEALA has a threblade fixed prop and I leave that as is. The engine is a Mitsubishi/Vetus of 27 HP, intercooled.
I run her on 2000 rpm - do not forget I have to diesel for about 2-3 hrs reaching the IJsselmeer and 4-5 hrs to reach the lock(s) of IJmuiden. A good engine is almost the most important asset.

Before the engine was installed I had the toilet renewed (Jabsco) hoses and all the seavalves newly welded in. In one part the hull was too thin and have cut out that section and welded an new one in situ.

So far the bill ran up to 5500 Euro.

This was step one. Then my father got ill, had a long stretch of deathbed and I put the boat on the hard under cover and forgot all about her.
Some time ago my father passed away and I could take up the restoration works again.
This time I tackle the steering gear. The cable-steering gives me an uneasy feeling and should be replaced by a Jefa installation, rod & pinion, like Whitlock.
All instruments are bought new in 2nd hand modus, people planning to do a replacement job but never came to the proper execution.
For about a 100 euro' s each, I bought brand new in box a complete wind/close haul set, depth, log and speed. Those have to be installed yet.
A Walker Knotmaster III is my back up or will use it for long seatrips.

For communication I bought a Nokia car kit, an extra handheld VHF and I had still both the VHF sets of my previous boat.
The Nokia car set (new) 60 Euro;
Knotmaster Mk III 45 Euro;
80 Admiralty charts Holland/UK/France 370,- Euro Year 2010;
Handheld Icom VHF (new) 100 Euro;
Teak/stainles steel steering wheel (new) 150 Euro, diam. 110 cm;

The internal parts (Jefa) I am now looking for.

Today I bought the spiboom and a Vetus batterycharger, together 200 Euro;

Now further on my list are 2 more Winches, two extra anchors plus chain and line, upholstery for the boat.

So there is still some work to do. One thing concerns me a bit and that is the Sprayhood. Very difficult to find one in good condition and fitting as well.
NEALA is almost flushdecked and all the spray coming over blows directly in my face. A "fit to measure" will set me back 2100 Euro. Therefore I am looking for an alternative.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GOUWZEE TEKENING.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	35878  
Old 11-01-2012, 18:25   #2827

pirate Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by goprisko View Post
Rubbish! You guys need to lighten up.
INDY
Baaaa hahahaha ha ha thanks I needed a good laff. Thats kinda like calling the kettle black dont you think? One of the reasons I find this thread so entertaining is because of the neurosis of the OP. If I had a penny for every time he has reminded us what this thread is for and what it is not, geesh, what a control freak! Reading this thread is kinda like watching a train wreck, you dont want to look but you cannot help yourself.

Ah but I suppose I will repeat mself over and over again till I am silly when I get to be an old wrinkled up prude so I should find some respect shouldnt I?

The topic is of value to anyone wanting to learn tricks and tips to trim the fat. So what the size of the boat or the exact amount!!! Those are abritary limits you seem hell bent to impose upon others, us well meaning folk who just want to have a pleasant conversation. If you talked to me in such a condesending way in person while on MY boat, you should sure hope you can swim for I wouldnt put up with it for more than a few seconds. (ah, a rare display of my nasty side, sorry peeps, keep the faith)
Old 11-01-2012, 20:14   #2828

I think INDY started the thread off well, and has made some excellent suggestions and points along the way. I have no doubt he means well... I also don't doubt that he's actually practicing what he preaches (or atleast has at some point in the past), which I think is respectable, despite his neurotic tendencies

This thread has long surpassed the actual '$500 a month' topic it was intended for. But, it still makes a good place to talk about being cheap and thrifty, and I think we should at least attempt to keep the topic leaning towards minimalism and extremely low budgeteering.
(and I think we've done that fairly well so far, considering...)
Old 11-01-2012, 20:30   #2829

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

Watched the vid. nice story. Not doing that! Shows what you can do if you try. and have the right frame of mind. We will have to keep it cheap, scared about having to spend 6 months in NZ but maybe we can work.
Not sure how we will budget, maybe food boat booze, or booze boat food. Sure the Mrs will have something to say about that.
Old 11-01-2012, 20:31   #2830

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

I would say this thread has been on topic about as often as a slack tide, and then off again...
Old 11-01-2012, 20:34   #2831
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by goprisko View Post
It is apparent that we are straying from the topic of this thread.

The topic of this thread is micro-budget cruising. Postings illustrating how to go about this are welcome.

Those who prefer to troll here for the purpose of killing the cruising ambitions of the willing are not welcome.

For the record, I cruised world wide and have yet to encounter the conditions mentioned above, including the Malacca Strait and Singapore Approaches, not to mention Hong Kong and the Florida Straits. In each and every locale, there has been sufficient wind for steerage and avoidance. My personal closest call with a supertanker was just north of the line in the Arabian Sea, and I did not lack for steerage.

Those who go on an on about engines, are not sailors, they know nothing about sailing, they have no experience sailing anything except a computer keyboard.

If you disagree with the above, I welcome your cruising resume. It had better be very good. It had better include extensive experience in dinghies.

Now, go back to pp 28-37 and learn how it is done. Recognize the following important facts:

In 1970 when I returned from the war, Eric Hiscock and Hal Roth were exploring the oceans, soon accompanied by the Pardeys. They generally cruised on $300-400 / month. Apartments cost $75/month. New cars cost $3,000. Gas cost $0.30/gal Corn cost $1.50/bu. As a beginning teacher, I earned $14,400 /yr.

Today Gas costs $3.25/gal, new cars cost $30,000, and apartments cost $750-1000 / month. I f you want to cruise as the Roths and Hiscocks did, you likely need $3000-4000 / month.

That is not micro-budget cruising. If you want to cruise on $500/month something has to give, and that something is the engine. Also, you need to keep the boat between 28-32 ft LOA, and very simple.

If you can't stomach this, no fear, simply troll elsewhere, perhaps on the "Cruising on $4000 per month" thread.

If you want to comment here, I expect to see constructive comments pertinent to the topic, which advance the knowledge of the participants, and move everyone forward.

That is , I expect to see you using your intellect to bring to the fore ideas which make micro-budget cruising more enjoyable, and practical.

INDY
The sad part that you left out is that teachers dont make much more now ...if you take in to account the cost of living has risen....DVC
Old 11-01-2012, 21:12   #2832

Well I am about to retire in 18months. Small pension but with a wife who can still earn. So while I find it encouraging that you can survive on $500 While living food and a bit of booze will do as we move back to Thailand (slowly) other costs, boat insurance health etc will not do it for us.
Old 12-01-2012, 14:33   #2833

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Back to how to live on 500 a month.

Need Gear?
There's a swap meet in Tampa this weekend. Maybe pick up a few good deals while Im over there.
Old 12-01-2012, 14:36   #2834

If I leave now I should make it in Oh... about 5 days lol. Living in small remote places is romantic and neat but figging expensive.
Old 12-01-2012, 16:09   #2835
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

North Pacific: we do have apretty good used shop in Bellingham, plus some DIY yards that routinely tear down old woodies for parts....
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising